Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 111 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 6, 2010 6:12:55 PM PDT
Wretched Man says:
Just curious: about a quarter of the way through the first one and the book is, well, it's "fine." I can't quite understand all the publicity surrounding the book yet. Does it "pick up?"

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2010 6:17:21 AM PDT
Of course it does. it is a very good book and you won't be able to put it down. I loved all three of them. They are awesome books

Posted on Aug 7, 2010 7:42:34 AM PDT
S. Scott says:
Yes it does, it just takes a while. I almost gave up on it, but thank goodness I didn't. Ended up being a spectacular book and even better series!

Posted on Aug 7, 2010 2:44:46 PM PDT
Elle-P says:
I had the same reaction and while the book does pick up and i did like it i do feel its overrated.

Posted on Aug 8, 2010 8:14:35 AM PDT
I read all 500 some odd pages in one setting of book three. It's complicated and the Swedish names drove me batty. Still, I couldn't put it down.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2010 10:08:25 AM PDT
L. Fischer says:
No.

Posted on Aug 8, 2010 5:26:38 PM PDT
Samantha says:
I had the same reaction, and almost quit. I've since read all three, and while I ended up liking them, I don't get all the hype!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2010 6:29:17 PM PDT
Crochet Lady says:
I feel the exact same way....I have tried 4 different times to "get into it" and just can't.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 12:10:18 PM PDT
Rolly Brook says:
I reading these comments because I'm trying to decide whether to keep reading or cast it aside. Such a sloooow start.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 12:53:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2010 10:10:00 PM PDT
R. J. White says:
The hype/enthusiasm is due to the emotional response the characters draw from the audience. Larsson's trilogy isn't great literature, and his prose style leaves much to be desired. TGWTDT film is very well done,particularly in cinematography,editing, and excellent acting. I saw the film without knowing anything about the Larsson phenomena.I enjoyed it, so I read the novels, and saw the other two films as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 4:54:06 PM PDT
I think James Patterson is better at writing this sort of thing. Oh, and the quotes at the start of each section would lead you to believe that the denouement will be about the social relevance of a world that turns a blind eye to sexual abuse. It's not: the guilty party is a cliched 54-card-short Looney Tune.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 5:08:28 PM PDT
M. Farrell says:
No. I kept hoping it would, and then stuck with it because at that point I felt I couldn't give up. Awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:32:15 PM PDT
THe first book starts out slow, but does pick up. Stick it out. By the time you get to the 3rd book, it will be on fire! The second and third books are better if you have read the first and are well worth the time. I finished the last book a month ago and I am still going through withdrawal. Unfortunately the writer is dead.

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 11:48:45 AM PDT
Wretched Man says:
Well I finished it. While it kept my interest (most of the time), I still can't for the life of me understand the mass appeal. At best, it is an average crime thriller. Someone convince me why it has such a huge following (while you're at it, explain to me the same for the Twilight and Harry Potter series) and I will just capitulate to the hype! LOL...okay, that was a joke.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2010 5:00:49 PM PDT
Yes, Gregory - it picks up - and then you cannot put it down. Struggle through the details - it's worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2010 8:38:41 PM PDT
Linny says:
It does pickup a quarter of the way through..I almost gave up on it! Hang in there it's worth reading. As far as the hype I don't agree they're great books but they are worth reading. I enjoyed the 2nd book more than his first. Enjoy!!

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 12:44:03 PM PDT
No it doesn't really pick up, but if you skip the boring details you can cut to the chase of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2010 3:58:21 PM PDT
It does and then some - is hard to put down.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2010 5:07:24 PM PDT
LRC says:
you bet it picks up, and it keeps getting better. The Publicity for the three books is well deserved.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2010 8:08:31 PM PDT
Betsy Rose says:
Yes, it does pick up. I had a hard time getting into it also. But if you keep going you will get hooked. I just finished the third book.

Posted on Aug 20, 2010 9:39:45 AM PDT
E. Helmick says:
It picks up around page 250!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2010 9:49:42 AM PDT
Oh yes, hang in there... great book!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2010 10:54:28 AM PDT
I never could get into the first book and gave the book to a friend of mine who is struggling with the same issues I had.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2010 11:01:53 AM PDT
If you are expecting the simplicity and ease of reading Stephen King or the Harry Potter books, then its not for you. But the intellectual reward is well worth extra effort.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 11:27:06 AM PDT
J. Forbes says:
Just started reading the book, I struggled through chapter one. Too many details about finance, etc. Are the details vital to the story, or just peripheral?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  76
Total posts:  111
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 19, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Mass Market Paperback - 2009)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (5,003)