Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 111 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 11:31:45 AM PDT
LRC says:
vital...keep reading, it is a great book, and book three may be the best.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 1:54:15 PM PDT
luvagoodbook says:
I agree, it's SLOW, first book picked up at about page 250 ( as already stated) then it was ok, still moments of excitment with huge gaps of drivel. Second book, I'm halfway through. I'm more annoyed than entertained by the treatment of Salender. I don't get the hype either, it's an ok book that I am struggling to get through. Good characters, mediocre writing IMHO.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 7:15:54 PM PDT
Becky J says:
It absolutely does pick up and then the action doesn't really stop till the end of the third book! Hang in there......

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 9:35:09 AM PDT
It does pick up and ties everyone together. Just keep reading.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 8:31:20 AM PDT
It didn't just "pick up" for me, it EXPLODED.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 9:06:21 AM PDT
As others have said it picks up around page 250...then it's an average crime novel after that. Really don't get they hype. It gets way over the top with the violence at times and everything is tied up a bit too neatly at the end.

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 6:24:04 AM PDT
K. Babcock says:
Am taking everyone's word for it that this one will pick up ...am halfway through and am still not getting all the hype surrounding this book...feel like I am too far into it to discard, but hoping that I'm not wasting my time.....this is definitely not a "can't put down" book for me!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 8:56:39 AM PDT
T. Caniac says:
Yes, it does pick up. It is strange that the main character doesn't arrive until page 44, but it does pick up and the next book is even better. I haven't read the last one yet, but I am sure it will be even better. It is sad that this is a series that will definitely be finished after the last book, unless a hidden manuscript shows up. Hang in there, it does get better!

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 5:21:34 PM PDT
B. Harding says:
For some time I have not read a book or series that kept my interest enough to keep me reading and ignoring all else I ought to do. Great literature--no--wonderful and complex plotting--yes. A woman who is physically strong, but, best of all, really smart. She is not pretty; she is not lovable; she is not even mentally sound. I am so sorry Larsson is deceased.

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 8:00:03 AM PDT
Laura says:
Worst. book. ever.
I wanted to like this book but it definitely is a prime example of hype over substance.
Life is short, cut your losses now and find something else to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010 3:41:32 PM PDT
M. Holland says:
Thank goodness I'm not the only one that thought this was not a great read. I read about 3/4 of the book and put it in the donation bin........I didn't like the writing and what in the world is a "tunnelbana"?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 11:41:03 AM PDT
I believe that the tunnelbana is the subway. This book is a challenge because it takes place in Sweden. Actually, it was written in Swedish and translated to English. It requires the reader to step outside our USA-centric thinking.

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 10:42:20 AM PDT
Jay says:
I read the Kindle "sample" for Girl With the Dragon Tatoo, and there was absolutely nothing in the sample that would encourage anyone to read the book - it was insipid and dull. So, I watched the movie to see if it would encourage me to read the books. Um. No. The movie was also dull. If the movie follows the book at all... yawn.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 2:05:58 PM PDT
The idea is to review a book you have actually read.

Posted on Sep 10, 2010 2:55:52 AM PDT
I like reading negative reviews or discussions of books I enjoyed; one can gain insights from those with different opinions. The only time it bothers me is when critical reviews or comments are posted with nastiness and scorn towards other readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2010 5:51:58 AM PDT
yes it take about a 100 pages first its great

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2010 8:43:22 AM PDT
This was to be the first of ten novels of this epic story. Give it time. When you are halfway into the second book, let us know if you can stop turning the pages.

Posted on Sep 12, 2010 1:15:59 PM PDT
I'm glad I found this thread as I was beginning to think I was a tad off. The book was just OK and I had to force myself to finish it; there was nothing there that would encourage me to buy the other two. I was actually kinda bummed because I had a copy and left it in Florida so I bought the Kindle version so I could finish it. I wish I could get the message others got but simply put, I was not impressed

Posted on Sep 12, 2010 5:54:37 PM PDT
LouAnne says:
Establishing characters at the beginning. Hang in there. It will start an addiction and you'll want to read the other two.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2010 5:19:34 PM PDT
I was ready to quit, but a couple friends told me to stick with it. It never did grab me. After the overblown climax, there's still some book left. Could not bring myself to finish it, a rarity. I am really perplexed by the many glowing reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2010 10:05:18 PM PDT
soad602 says:
I'm with you, I picked up this book on a bad impulse and did not want to stop reading it, in case I was missing something good. I think I'm safe to put this one down.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 3:18:54 PM PDT
Sassypoch says:
Maybe you can watch the movie with translation or wait till the English version of the movie comes out to see if you like the storyline. If you do, try to get through it again? I read the first 250 pages and decided I was done. It was very boring and felt like homework whenever I picked it up. I like to enjoy books I choose to read so I decided to put this one down for good. If the movie is any good, I might change my mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 8:11:42 AM PDT
TinkerKell says:
I don't get the hype either, and agree with your comment on the Twilight series too ... . both series will be forgotten within a year of the the date of the final DVD releases. But, I must take GIANT exception with HP!! That series will stand the test of time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 4:39:34 PM PDT
Sassypoch says:
Harry Potter series - greatest series of all time!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2010 6:41:33 PM PDT
The Larsson series are for grownups. You can't compare the two.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa9f9a6f0)

This discussion

Participants:  76
Total posts:  111
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 19, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Mass Market Paperback - 2009)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (4,561)