Palaces that emerge from the mountains, beaches with names like “New World,” ski resort towns straight out of a Bond film, and clubs where passwords must be whispered to enter – it must be Ukraine. A secret favorite of backpackers for years, Ukraine is finally getting recognized by the outside world for what it is: a can’t miss travel destination.
This unique travel guide provides insight into Ukraine’s vast history in a – dare we say – fun way. Travelers will be eased into this Eastern European country’s cultural norms and introduced to its taboos in order to avoid embarrassing cross-cultural no-no's. With transliterations of all entries, first-hand reviews and recommendations, and a focus on the country’s must-see places and off-the-beaten-path gems, this guidebook will act like your international chaperone; making falling in love with Ukraine that much easier.
The author, Ashley Hardaway, has lived and worked in Ukraine for over two years; getting to know the culture overtime through the slow-burn of a budding relationship. This isn’t merely a one-off observation – this is true love.
- Explore the “secret-city” of Balaclava and tour its hidden nuclear submarine base.
- Blaze new trails in hidden ski towns where military-grade vehicles serve as impromptu ski-lifts.
- Uncover the odd bars of Lviv, its speakeasies and how to get in.
- Sleep in the grandiose apartments of past oligarchs in Odessa.
- Drink horilka with the locals and learn to toast with the best of them.
- Have an existential crisis while touring the deserted town of Prypiat in Chernobyl.
- Learn why Ukrainians fear “the draft,” why not to whistle indoors, and what is meant by a flick of the neck.