Published 12 months ago by D. Silvia

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Progressive Book on the Ukulele
This book has some interesting lessons in it. I like that it is progressive as I get better on the instrument.
I find that having a music class and lessons to go to make the book more useful.
Published 11 months ago by Carol Woodbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Ukulele Players: This is the one youhave been searching for ***UPDATED***, February 27, 2014
This review is from: Ukulele Aerobics: For All Levels, from Beginner to Advanced (Paperback)
I am an advanced-beginner Ukulele player. I know a few different strums, a load of chords, can competently strum most songs, and I can pick (not perfect - but I am learning). There are plenty of books out there for beginners and there is a lot of very advanced stuff but not a lot to help players learn to bridge the gap between beginner and expert. With a lot of books that say they are for more advanced players I often start off ok but later get stuck. This book breaks up concepts into small easy to digest daily pieces. The book walks you through and though it starts with super easy "work outs" I do them as there is always something to learn. I am just starting out with this book (past two weeks) but already I highly recommend it. I play every day and I use the exercises in this book to warm up.

UPDATE: I am on week 10. I would be a liar if I told you it would be easy; some of the exercises are tricky to get right (Be sure to listen to the CD). BUT so far so good. I am actually noticing an improvement in my playing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent methodology, March 9, 2014
Excellent method for learning how to play the Ike instead of trying to figure out a song. Results are a lot quicker and it is a whole lot more interesting than learning kis songs. The method teaches the importance of finger exercise and training for agility. I have used tradition self learning for banjo and bass, but this approach is far better than I have encountered before in self learning books for playing instruments. I have adapted the concepts for the other instruments I play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Newly purchased, February 25, 2014
I have played the ukulele regularly for two years and have a long music background with other instruments. My approach to practicing music is based on contrasting attitudes-try the advanced stuff now, and never be afraid to practice the basics. I am enjoying the structure of this book and the daily exercises make it quite palatable-each day of the week is dedicated to a specific task such as chords, strumming and lick & riffs. I am approaching these exercises with two things in mind. Do it every day. And don't skip ahead. Even though I am only in the very beginning of the book, I have made progress. It is easy to make up little exercises based on the dailies and incorporate them into the songs that I play. Thanks, Chad.

4.0 out of 5 stars a lot of great information : definitely for intermediate players, June 27, 2014
Who this book is NOT for: Beginners. The only reason this book got a one-star rating from someone is that it is marketed as an 'ALL LEVELS' book, which I consider false advertising (which is why I see it as a four star book). I can say this with some confidence because I've taught hundreds of beginning students to play the ukulele and this book would leave most of them in the dust, discouraged and disheartened. Also, this book is NOT for people who prefer to learn the ukulele organically . . . by which I mean 'one song at a time' (the book includes drills for skills in seven categories, there are no songs in this book). Despite these drawbacks . . . this is an awesome book.

Who this book IS for: players with a firm grasp of the basics, that have a good number of chords already under their belt, have good practicing skills, aren't afraid of standard staff notation and are glad to see it side by side with tablature. If this is you, you're going to get a lot out of this book.

That said, I consider myself an intermediate player with a lot of musical knowledge that translates over from other instruments I've learned to play. Even with that kind of background, there's some pretty tough stuff in this book that you're going to have to be patient with . . .

The toughest part may be the advanced/tricky chord shapes that are thrown out pretty early in the book (I have a hard time understanding the rhyme/reason for the order in which chords are introduced). But, if you're like me, you'll enjoy stretching yourself a bit to make your fingers fit these shapes.

I like what one of the other reviewers said about using each week as a daily round of seven drills. I think people will get a lot more out of the book practicing this way as some of the drills are not going to be mastered in a day.

WHAT I LOVE: There's stuff in this book I haven't seen anywhere else, and I've bought about twenty instructional ukulele books in my quest to be a better teacher. Also, as a singer/songwriter, it is so nice to be able to pick up new techniques, fingerpicking, strumming, chords, riffs to inspire my own writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book, February 17, 2014
This book will become an asset to my ukulele teaching and to my own playing as well. I've already worked through most of the book myself and got a lot of ideas out of it, as well as some reminders of my ways to hone my own skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Very Good, February 21, 2014
ElCapitan "Elcapitan" (Inner Ring Suburb, MO) - See all my reviews
I am pleased with this book. As an advanced beginner, this book is helping me to systematically improve my chops and my repertoire of licks. I am not very far along (Week 5) so I can't speak to its efficacy for someone who is a more advanced player, but if you want to progress on the uke I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only into week three, but I love this book!, March 11, 2014
This book totally resonates with me on so many different levels. Shorts lessons, multiple techniques and fun. The lessons are focused and immediately relevant. My other books, which I really like to, are too "long winded" for me right now 'cause I am still a beginner. I'll pick those up again, but not 'til I am done with this one. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for teaching, April 4, 2014
I've used this book with a group of high school students and it does a great job creating some "bite-sized" exercises that progressive build skills without being overwhelming to the tentative students.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea for structured advancement, March 27, 2014
Love the idea of learning one thing a day! But, in truth it has worked better for me practicing all 7 new skills for the week each day of that week. I was looking for something to help me find some structure in practicing. I am in week four and still chugging along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd had this when I started., May 19, 2014
I'm really enjoying this book. Sooo much stuff in here, I'm finding it takes more than a week to digest his weekly dose of new stuff but I'm starting to get a little bluesy sound out of this uke of mine.

Ukulele Aerobics: For All Levels, from Beginner to Advanced
Ukulele Aerobics: For All Levels, from Beginner to Advanced by Chad Johnson (Paperback - March 8, 2014)
$17.99 $13.86