4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Primer! Emphasizes "singles"
Published on March 7, 2005 by Tom Plum

3.0 out of 5 stars Generous, but goes south quickly
I've recently taken a big dive into the reggae waters... buying various discs trying to discover the incredible talent found down in Jamaica. These Hip-O "Ultimate Collection" discs are packed with songs and seem a good way to sample some respected bands. This is my first Third World CD and I have to say that if I investigate further it will be with their...
Published on April 9, 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Primer! Emphasizes "singles", March 7, 2005
Tom Plum "TC" (Roswell, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
This is a good primer on Third World, a good price for a sampling of all of or nearly all of the distinct periods of the band, 20 songs is not enough for a representative sample of the band but it's a start. To me, the 2 early '80s albums, "You've got the power" and "Rock the World" read like greatest hits albums, however they are only represented on this compilation with single released versions of "Try Jah Love" written by Stevie Wonder (& M.A. McCully for the record) and "Who gave you (Jah Rastafari)." Yet, the solid positive message for which Third World has become known for permeates each song on this compilation. One would not be honest if one did not acknowledge that they have had downswings and upturns in their career but this is very largely due to their seeking to produce music diverse in nature and trying to keep up with musical trends. That said, it does seem that they started losing some of their direction with the 1985 "Sense of Purpose" album even though 2 songs from this collection come from there and I think "Sense of Purpose" itself is a marvelous song (right! the message).

I have mixed feelings on the band, they have been appraised at times for being a more commericalised reggae; but "inna time like this" or any other, their music can be very inspiring. I don't know the very early works as well such as "Journey to Addis Abba" or the other early albums, "96 Degrees in the Shade" and their premier album with Island Records titled "Third World" that have those primitive types of painting on them. However, I read the reviews here are very positive regarding them and the two albums I know well are some of the best in my humble collection. "Reggae Radio Station" from 1987's "Hold on to Love" should be on this collection as well. It is somewhat in the same vein as "Reggae Ambassador"; but to me, sounds more sincere.

There may be some issues dealing with labels here, it seems even the longer compilation "Reggae Ambassadors" lacks tracks from some total releases; such as "Ride on Jah people" from "YGTP" but may emphasize the earlier works more, so it is on my "get" list. We don't always need a Stones type of anthology retreading the same songs over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Mon, Yes!, March 10, 2004
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
This whole CD is absolutely wicked! I urge everyone, familiar with Third World or not, to give this a listen. Believe me it has something to offer you whether you're a reggae fan or not. If you're not already a fan, this may very well convert you. Please do yourself a favor and give it a listen! There isn't enough room here to discuss the wonderful experience that listening to the stellar tunes included in this CD will allow you. Third World are truly Reggae Ambassadors and this CD is truly the Ultimate Collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Reggea, August 12, 2004
hopeordoom (Colorado Springs, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
Third world was the group that got me interested in reggea. Songs like "Now That We Found Love" and "Always Around" stuck themselves in my head and would not leave.(I would not want them to.) This is a good album to start with if you are new to their music. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, March 31, 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
AMAZING WORK OF TRUE ART. THIRD WORLD'S IMAGINATION, STORYTELLING, COMPASSION, AND UNITY BRINGS TOGETHER A MILESTONE FOR FANS WHO HOPE TO SEE THEM IN CONCERT ONE DAY, BUT CAN'T BECAUSE OF THE DEMAND IN THIRD WORLD'S BOOKED SCHEDULES.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIRD WORLD ROCKS AS REGGAE STARS........ GREAT SONGS, AND VIBES. JUST PURE PLEASURE FOR LISTENING TOO...., December 16, 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
AWESOME GROUP OF SONGS, AND GREAT SOUND. LOVE IT...... CAN SPEND HOURS JUST RELAXING AND ENJOYING THIS ALBUM...... PURE PLEASEURE....

4.0 out of 5 stars THROWBACK THEATER: Contemporary R&B (Reggae & Blues)., March 12, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
Not the biggest fan of Reggae music, this collection gave enough of the reggae mixed in with the R&B to make it very flavorable for my ears. My all time favorites are NOW THAT WE FOUND LOVE & TRY JAH LOVE. I could (and did) play repeatedly....JUST COULDN'T (and can't) GET ENOUGH!!! Other than that, this was still an enjoyable disc with enough of my taste mixed in with the social commentary found in a lot of reggae that made it very likeable.

5.0 out of 5 stars CD Reviews, July 13, 2010
Renea Paige (Lanham, MD, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
Very pleased and satisfied with my purchase. Delivery was at a reasonable time. Third World was one of my favorite reggae groups. This is the best of all of their CD's. I would recommend this to all reggae lovers! If you are looking for music from the 70's, 80's I would highly recommend Amazon for all your music. The variety is amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, April 21, 2014
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
I have listened to Third World for years - saw them in performances in Jamaica - they are the very best - love their music - thanks so much - cannot say enough good things about them - just fabulous............really like Bunny Rug's voice - the very best - will always have him in the music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!, September 12, 2011
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
I couldn't wait to receive this CD. I had their CD years ago, but misplaced it. I have played my favorite two songs over and over-Now That We Have Found Love and Try Jah Love. I had no idea that Stevie Wonder help write the song_Try Jah Love. Just loving the CD!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past! THIRD WORLD, August 15, 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
"Try Jah Love" is one of my lifetime favorites. Hearing "Now That We've Found Love" reminds me of the wedding reception scene at the end of the Will Smith/Eva Mendes movie "Hitch."...and Third World has taught me that I DO like reggae!!!

Ultimate Collection
Ultimate Collection by Third World (Audio CD - 2001)