Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on January 23, 2012
After ordering the mattress, I got an email asking about what firmness level I wanted, and I went with the default level of 6, which was just on the plush side of medium.

The box it came in looked kind of narrow to contain a mattress, but if you look at the pictures that I submitted, you will see how it was packaged. I unrolled it and cut the plastic (and my hand in the process), and then you could hear the woosh of the air flowing into the mattress. 30 seconds later, I have a mattress that measures at 10.88 inches thick and it appears to be very comfortable.

I will continue this review in a week after sleeping on it.

It has now been a week, and I have noticed that my sleep is deeper with this mattress, and it is very conforming to both my, and my wife's body. The slight odor dissipated after 2 days, and we are enjoying this both very much. I usually sleep with a CPAP due to my sleep apnea, but my wife has informed me that even without the CPAP, I am no longer snoring because I am able to sleep continuously on my side all night.

I will update this review in a few more weeks, and let you know how the bed is holding up.

Before this, we had a Tempurpedic Celebrity bed, but while my wife loved the feel, I found it too squishy for my tastes. This bed makes a great compromise where you still get the support you need without the claustrophobic feeling.

It has now been almost 7 months since we got the mattress and it is still holding up great with one small issue. I find that you need to rotate the mattress periodically so that sometimes the foot of the mattress becomes the head. It just keeps the mattress more comfortable if you do it about every other sheet change. But otherwise, I am still very pleased with it.

On another note, it works great with an adjustable base platform.
review image review image review image review image
1717 comments|414 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2013
EDIT: Dreamfoam has changed the construction of this mattress; The support foam is now 1.5 pound density, because the price of the foam has gone up, and shipping the mattress from the Amazon warehouse means a longer compression period that the 2.35 lb. foam is not well suited for. The new mattress "should" have equivalent performance for people that are not very heavy. Indeed, 1.5 lb. support foam is the same foam that (much more expensive) Tempur-Pedic now uses, and unlike that company, Dreamfoam will tell you what materials they use. See the link below for more discussion. Since I can no longer offer firsthand experience to recommend THIS mattress, and because I believe this is a NEW mattress and should have it's own separate reviews on Amazon, I am lowering my score from 5 to 4 stars.
[...]

*** Part 1. Research
The bad news: The vast majority of the mattress industry is out to screw you. We all know this. If you buy any name brand mattress, at best, you will be overpaying for your mattress. At worst, you will overpay for a *bad* mattress.

The good news: You don't have to put up with this nonsense! Direct manufacturer outlets offer quality and value year round, no sales required. Still, there is no such thing as a good mattress, or even a good type of mattress, for everyone. You need to educate yourself. Spend a few hours at themattressunderground.com. Go ahead, I'll wait.

*** Part 2. Outstanding Value.
After doing the research, you know you want a Latex over Foam mattress because you want the benefits of latex but you can't afford a quality total latex mattress at ~2-3x the price. Since you are primarily interested in the quality of materials, as well as customer service and customization for your body, this mattress has the potential to be a great choice for you!

Support Layer: 5.5" 2.35 pound high density polyform. Not as good as latex, but as a support layer, works fine for many people. Remember, even an expensive TempurPedic mattress would use a high quality polyform similar to this in the support layer. The density is high enough to be durable enough to outlast the comfort layer, which takes the most abuse.

Comfort Layer: 3" Blended Talalay latex. The good stuff. Among the highest quality mattress materials because it can be both soft and supportive, latex is also the most breathable and durable of all the kinds of foam. Customizable to be exactly as firm or as soft as you want it. Speak to Chuck for help getting the right firmness for you, after you order. Remember, it is always best to err on the side of firmness, because it's easy to make a mattress softer with a soft latex topper.

Quilting Layer: 1.5" of soft "high performance" polyfoam. Designed to soften the feel of the latex a bit. 1" might be prefered for the sake of durability, but 1.5" is still thin and over 3" of latex, it won't have much impact on the feel of the mattress over time. Chuck customizes this as part of his level rating.
Customer service: Chuck is great, as you can see by all these 5 star ratings, as well as his reccomendation from Mattress Underground. No sleezy mattress salesmen to deal with!

Price: Unbeatable for the materials you get.

Warranty: Most warranties for mattresses are useless because the mattress typically deteriorates to the point of needing replacement far before the warranty would apply. That's why you should only care about quality of materials. For what it's worth, this one has a 10 year warranty. Phoenix at the mattress underground believes this mattress will typically last 10+ years.

Additional notes: If you can't decide on a firmness, consider the Ultimate Dreams Queen Eurotop Latex Mattress or the Cotton Camilla at Brooklyn Bedding, which allows you to exchange the latex layer if it doesn't work out for you. You can't use a boxspring, you need a foundation that is solid but well ventilated to prevent mold. If using a slatted platform bed, the slats should not be more than 3" apart. The cheapest option I could find that meets these requirements is the Handy Living Queen Wood Slat Bed Frame, but you don't have to be that cheap. If your mattress is too firm, talk to Chuck and post to the Mattress Underground forums for topper advice.

P.S. For what it's worth, I'm a ~160 lb male back sleeper, my wife is a small side sleeper, we both like softer mattresses, we are in our late 20's with no health issues, and we got a 7 (24 ILD, for those who care). It works for us. I probably could have gone with the 6, but I went with the 7 as a compromise.
11 comment|167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2012
I purchased this after reading very favorable reviews on Amazon and elsewhere. I ordered a 6 on the 1-10 firmness scale, where 1 is ultra-firm and 10 is very soft. I figured a 6 should be just on the soft side of medium, which was most comfortable for me after trying out many different mattresses at B&M stores. The merchant, via email, said that levels 4 and 6 were the most popular.

My new mattress is as firm as the firmest mattress I've ever tried. I generally feel worse waking up than in the daytime or right before bed, due to lower back aches. I will add a topper to the mattress to hopefully make it more comfortable.

I'd advise anyone ordering to get at least a 7 or 8 firmness, and get more definitive comparison guidelines from the merchant before specifying a firmness level.

Update: I've purchased a Sleep Innovations / Novaform 2.5 inch gel memory foam topper to use on this mattress. The topper has definitely helped soften the mattress. The topper is sensitive to cold temperatures, however, and will be hard if the bedroom air is cold or until body heat warms the topper.

The mattress by itself was a bit less uncomfortable than when I first received it, not sure if that was due to a break-in of the mattress or me getting used to it. I still think that it's a well-made product, but the soft/firm scale may be miscalibrated towards high firmness.
1414 comments|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2015
The mattress was fine... for a few months. We've had the mattress for less than 2 1/2 years. After the first few months, we gradually started sleeping in two separate valleys, with a hilltop in the middle of the bed, between my husband and myself. We try to stay as close to the middle as possible, because if we don't, we feel like we're going to be dumped onto the floor in the middle of the night. It's uncomfortable and tiring. We planned to keep the mattress about 8 years but are already having to plan for a different mattress purchase ASAP. We both very disappointed.
33 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2014
To begin with this was the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on. At about 6 months after I started sleeping on this mattress, it began to sag. I rotated it and started sleeping on the opposite side every other week. Now 1.5 years later, I can't sleep anywhere but in a sag. In addition, it is very heavy and unwieldy and has no handles so it is difficult to change the sheets.
on January 1, 2016
We have had ours just over 3 years and dread climbing in bed at night. The aches and pains we wake up with have gotten unbearable and we are currently researching replacements.

We LOVED our mattress at first - LOVED it! However, starting at around 9 months, the center started sagging more and more. We finally got desperate and placed pillows under the mattress to lift the cavern from below. This worked for the past year but is not optimal as the mattress continues to compress. Now the husband often sleeps on the couch or shares one of the kids' twin beds. He says both options are more comfortable than the mattress. I have been sleeping on it, but sideways. It's like sleeping in a hammock...great for younger folks but not so much for a late 40s/early 50s couple.

We contacted Chuck about a year after purchasing it. He told us that the mattress needs to have a clearly visible indent of 1.5" or more to be covered under warranty. The indent is definitely more deep than that, but is not visible due to the tightly stretched mattress cover fabric.

FYI, when we purchased the mattress we discussed at length with Chuck the firmness of the mattress for our weights (175 lb husband, 125 lb me) and sleep habits. Based on Chuck's suggestions, we chose the firmer of the recommendations as it was mentioned that the mattress would soften A BIT over time. Again, we loved it for the first nine months. Maybe they should reduce the price to appropriately reflect the disposable nature of this mattress. However, even if they did we would never purchase it again. We have also been sure to recommend to friends and family that the money spent on this product would be better invested elsewhere.
on August 7, 2012
Excellent service. I had to contact the seller to call FedEx to allow pickup at local sort facility. Very prompt response, helpful and courteous. I very seldom leave reviews. I don't leave ratings often unless I feel that I received a good value for my money and "above and beyond" service. I would highly recommend you buy from this small company.

Our old mattress was an innerspring and was starting to sag. This caused me and my fiance significant back pain the morning. Quality of sleep was not very good, tossing and turning, and sleep was not restful. Before we moved in together, I had an innerspring of my own that was better and newer (pillowtop), but nothing special, cost probably 500-600$ or so.

I did a LOT of research before buying a new mattress. If you are looking to get a new mattress, I would encourage you to do some research of your own on [...] . This is the only site I found that had a large number of reviews for pretty much all types and brands of mattresses. Wasn't easy to find reputable reviews for mattresses otherwise. I found that companies like Consumer Reports provided reports that were not at all comprehensive, and not all that useful. The ratings on this mattress far exceed that of any other mattress with a decent number of reviews. I looked at all types: latex, memory foam, water, air, innerspring. In general, innerspring is by a large margin the worst, with latex and air being among the best.

On to this mattress. It arrived in a "roll," highly compressed. Simply open the packaging and it returns to its normal size within a few hours. Not light, shipping weight is 95 Lbs. One of the big +'s to this mattress is that you are able to buy whatever firmness you like, on a scale of 1-10, the default being 6. After purchasing, you are promptly contacted by the company requesting your choice. I've never heard of this before, if you go to a retail store, you pretty much get what is there, no real option of this sort of customization. I chose a 5, which is slightly firmer than the default. So far, I'm thoroughly pleased with this mattress. Pleasantly soft but supportive. I'm a larger guy and I didn't sink uncomfortably or anything of the sort. She is significantly smaller than me, and she was just fine as well. After the first night, no more back pain and a much more restful night's sleep. Her back pain was excruciating in the morning with the old mattress and this pretty much eliminated all pain (impressive). Overall, this is a very nice mattress, I think you would be hard pressed to find anything equal even if you spent 2500$. When I started searching for mattresses, I was assuming I was going to have to spend at minimum 1500-2000$ to find something at least passable. Also nice is that you don't have to play the haggling game at mattress stores to bring their prices down to something less outrageous.

NOTE: I initially thought I'd be buying something from one of the bigger manufacturers, a Tempurpedic or Sleep Number. I tried those out at a retail store (as well as other mattresses), and honestly I like this much better.

Pros: Soft and supportive for all body types (my fiance is fairly average size, with me being a fairly large guy). The ability to select a customizeable firmness, from 1-10. No more back pain. Restful night's sleep. Price is unbeatable! Service from the seller is outstanding. MADE IN THE USA (I'm sick of buying stuff made in China, Malaysia, etc)! Feels very good to buy something that supports a small business that creates jobs in the U.S., and not some large company that is going to outsource/offshore jobs to a foreign country.

Cons: None so far, there was a slight off-gassing for a few hours (very mild). Dissipates rapidly and able to sleep on it after a few hours.
on April 21, 2014
My husband and I bought a pillow top mattress five years ago and needed to replace it after a recent move. I read mattress reviews for weeks, visited 6 or 7 mattress stores (plus SAMs Club and costco). This particular mattress got excellent reviews on non-biased websites like "sleep like the dead". After talking to Chuck, I decided to take a risk and buy a mattress sight unseen--because so many people gave it positive reviews. The mattress shipped really quickly and was well packaged. I let it air out for several days before laying on it.

We are extremely disappointed. It sleeps really hot ( and I live in St Louis and it's been especially cold this winter). I am already dreading summer. It's also not that comfortable! I think there are plenty of $500-700 range mattresses that you can buy locally at retailers like Sears that include warranties (this mattress does not have a warranty).

Bottom line: would I buy this again? Absolutely not. Save your money and buy local
66 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2015
I loved this mattress when I first purchased it at first but it definitely doesn't last! I'm 115 pounds and after about 9 months, the side I usually sleep on started sagging, and I could feel the support foam. I rotated and got another 9 months out of it. It's been unbearably uncomfortable for the past few months and I have a new mattress coming soon. I've read in some other reviews that the manufacturer changed the quality of the support foam to something cheaper. I don't doubt that because this bed is terrible now. Definitely not worth the price due to the very short lifespan.
However, I will say customer service is responsive but the warranty is garbage. If there's no weight on the mattress, it's difficult to see and prove that the mattress has sagged. Also, for the warranty to kick in, the sag must be very prominent. The mattress is already incredibly uncomfortable before it hits this massive warranty qualifying sag.
Pay attention to the positive reviews. It seems like most of these people have only recently bought the mattress. This doesn't stand the test of time.
44 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2014
I bought my mattress in 2012. The customer service was fantastic with a phone call from the company discussing firmness etc. I choose something closer to "firm". Mattress arrived quickly and was a dream to sleep on for the first 6 months. After that I began to notice body impressions in the mattress. By the end of the first year the impresssions were so deep you couldn't roll over without noticing a distinct edge. I'm six foot tall and weigh 205 pounds. I rotated the bed, head to foot, religiously every 3 months.

As the end of year two approached my girlfriend complained that she couldn't sleep because she kept rolling into me all night since my side of the bed sagged so much more. (She weighs 150 pounds)

After 2 years, I went back to an innerspring and couldn't be happier.