Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 21, 2012
I bought this from a different seller, but wanted to leave a review here anyway. This light is incredible. 740 lumens in an EDC flashlight? Yes, please! I carry this clipped in my front left pocket every day, and I hardly notice it's there. It is lightweight and slender enough not to get in the way. This is a near-perfect tactical/self-defense flashlight. One good feature is that you can activate the strobe mode from any brightness setting, and it always strobes at 400 lumens. (My previous Fenix had a different special mode for each brightness setting.) This means I can keep the light on a lower mode for everyday tasks and always be ready to strobe if I want to disorient someone.

Pros:
-Awesome light output for size
-Good battery life (considering output)
-Tough but lightweight construction
-Strobe accessible from any setting
-Can be mounted on weapons with an attachment
-Comes with some accessories and replacement parts
-Looks like a miniature lightsaber
-Momentary or locking switch
-S.O.S. mode
-Sturdy pocket/belt clip
-Using the diffuser reminds me of Gandalf in the Mines of Moria ("Let me risk a little more light...")
-Good CRI for an LED (color rendering index... makes things look fairly natural)

Cons:
-Doesn't remember strobe setting (i.e. can't activate immediately)
-Strobes at 400 lumens, not 740
-Wide beam angle doesn't throw too far
-Can't tailstand
-Gets hot quick on burst setting (reverts to turbo after about 3 minutes)
-Lowest setting sometimes isn't low enough
-A little longer than the PD32 (still fits in pocket easily though)

That was a fairly picky list, but don't get me wrong... this is an incredible light. It's not a great thrower, but the blinding output is a good self-defense tool if you can't (or choose not to) carry a deadly weapon. Fenix also has good customer service in my experience, which is limited because I rarely have problems with their products.

This is not a toy. It will hurt your eyes on any brightness setting. Be forewarned. Don't shine it in your wife's eyes.

--UPDATE--
Ended up buying a new PD35, and it begs a little comparison...

BEAM: next to the PD32 UE beam, I noticed the PD35 beam is slightly narrower and slightly cooler in color. I prefer the slightly narrower beam, because it throws a little farther, but I actually like the warmer color of the PD32 UE a little better. This is mostly preference as the PD35 still has very good CRI (probably closer to one of those 'daylight' CFL bulbs that just look a little too blue at night, but still renders colors very well), while the PD32 UE has a slightly more orange-ish tint. Not a noticeable difference until you have them side-by-side though. The PD35, of course, has a higher total lumen output. I'd call this a wash.

FUNCTIONS: The PD35 strobes at the full 850 lumens (PD32 UE only strobes at 400). However, the PD35 has no S.O.S. mode... I'm not sure why. Mall ninjas and partygoers will probably want the higher strobe output, while adventurists and seafarers would do well to choose the S.O.S.-capable model. Otherwise, the models are apparently identical. I'd say this is also a wash.

FORM: Nearly the same between the two, but the emitter end of the PD35 isn't peaked/serrated like the PD32 UE is. I suppose this is a glass-break/self-defense feature, so it doesn't affect normal use. Slight advantage to the PD32 UE.

ACCESSORIES: The PD35 did not come with as many accessories, and it has a slightly larger emitter diameter, so I can't use the PD32 UE diffuser on it :( Advantage to the PD32 UE.

BATTERY LIFE: PD35 outputs slightly more lumens for slightly more time on each of the 5 settings. Clear advantage to the PD35.

So, if you have a PD32 UE, don't feel pressured to upgrade to a PD35 just because of the higher lumen output. However, if you're trying to choose between buying one of these two lights, weigh the advantages of each for your expected usage scenarios and choose accordingly. They're both awesome!
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2013
This little thing is simply amazing!! The amount of light it can put out on it's highest setting is simply unreal! I got mine a few days ago and am obviously very impressed. I also purchased two 16850 rechargeable batteries and a charger. If you are indoors you will probably not need to use anything higher than the second setting (40 lumens), and if you just need enough light to see to walk around the lowest setting (9 lumens) will suffice. The second setting is roughly equivalent to a regular 2 D cell incandescent flashlight, although the beam pattern is much wider and the light is much whiter. The second setting is also about right for being outdoors and say taking the dog for a walk at night or taking the trash out a long dark driveway to the street.

The third setting is where things start to get impressive. This setting is much brighter than a 5 D cell maglite flashlight. The beam width is pretty impressive too, and with this setting you can scan a good sized back yard at night quickly and be able to see anything in the yard or any critters, like skunks, that might be lurking about. I've used it a couple of times at this setting to scan the areas of the yard that floodlights don't reach for critters before I let the dog out at night. Works really good for this. This is also the highest setting that it will run at as long as the battery lasts without dropping back.

The fourth and fifth settings are really, really, bright! I'd say the fourth setting is about as bright as a high beam headlight and the fifth setting is even brighter mostly because of the really wide beam field that's entirely lit up. It's almost like a little search light. If you shined this light at a car on the fourth or fifth setting you would temporarily blind the driver (so don't do that!); it's that bright. At these settings the flashlight starts to heat up and after I think 3 minutes at the highest setting, and maybe 10 minutes at the fourth setting it automatically drops back to the third setting so that it doesn't overheat (I haven't tried this yet though), but you can dial it back up right away if you want. Running at the fifth setting for about 30 seconds is enough to make the end of the flashlight warm, which is as long as I've used it at that setting. These two settings I guess would be mostly used to just flood an entire area with bright light, like what the cops might do to flush out a crook. You could also lightup say an entire campsite to about half to two thirds the brightness of a softball infield at night with this thing on the fifth setting, at least until the battery runs out. I haven't played much with the last two settings, strobe and SOS.

The only thing that you should be aware of that some people might not like is that there is no beam focus on this flashlight. The beam pattern is pretty wide, which lets you turn a large swath of night into day out to about 500 feet, but you won't be able to focus it into a tight beam that will allow you light up a small area say a quarter of a mile away.

It's great fun; you should buy one. If you do buy one be sure to get the 18650 batteries and the charger because you will play with it enough to run out the non-rechargable batteries that come with it pretty quick. :)
on March 20, 2013
Well, I have a couple Fenix lights, I have the Fenix PD20 Flashlight and also the Fenix TK35 Flashlight but this light....oh lemme tell you, this light is awesome. It puts out some serious lumens, more than I need. I'm not that worried about it so I haven't tested to make sure it is actually 740 or not, it's bright. It is water resistant enough for my purposes as I'm not a scuba diver. It is very rugged because I have dropped it out of my car window while turning since it was on the dash board. After I freaked out and went back and got it, it still worked. The diffuser tip is pretty awesome too. On the low setting it's about like a cheap Coleman battery lantern from a hardware store. On bright it's like the sun lol. The strobe pattern is pretty good since it changes a bit, fast blinks then slow blinks. It is good enough to disorient my wife (and anger her, sorry honey). The size is a bit long for carrying in your pocket or something so I would suggest wearing it on a belt or a cargo pocket. On that note, as another reviewer noted, it does remind me of a light saber, which only makes it that much cooler to me. I'm very happy with this purchase and one of the favorite things I've bought in a while.
on February 25, 2013
Read the update for safety information.

-------------------------------------------------------
Original
-------------------------------------------------------

"I'm loving it" is no longer reserved just for McDonalds... This flashlight is BRIGHT in 740 Lumens burst mode, it will illuminate a room with ease. The body is well sealed, and I would have no issues with using it in typical weather situations. It feels durable, and well made.

Unboxing

Nicely packaged, with accessories included, such as a nylon belt pouch, lanyard, diffuser, and batteries.

Operation

Insert the two CR 123A batteries into the unit and press the rear button to turn it on. It defaults to the 740 burst mode, click on the button on the side of the unit to select between brightness levels, there are five different levels to choose from.

Build quality

Looks and feels durable, uses O-rings for weather sealing and includes two extra O-rings and an extra rear button for replacement as needed.

Illumination

This thing is BRIGHT at 740 lumens. It will illuminate a room with ease. I bought this as an EDC, and for use with my DSLR for photos.

I'll do a cursory overview of the pros and cons in my somewhat limited as yet usage.

PROS:

+ It's bright, 740 lumens will illuminate an entire room with ease.
+ It's a good size for EDC, so long as you have cargo jeans/pants or use the included pouch, otherwise it's going to fill a pocket.
+ Five different brightness settings.
+ SOS and Strobe functions.
+ Durable, water sealed.
+ Comes with a carry pouch, lanyard, diffuser, and two CR123A batteries.
+ Clip is tight, this thing is not going to fall out of a pocket.
+ Diffuser included for softer light.

CONS:

- This thing puts out a lot of light, and as such it eats batteries in a hurry on burst mode... One hour at 740 lumens. Would be nice if this came with the rechargable batteries, and a charger for this price.
- A little big for EDC front pocket carry.
- Strobe and SOS functions take time to access, you press one second on the side button for the strobe, three seconds for the SOS.

Overall:

This is one of the best flashlights on the market, I looked at the Surefire, and others prior to deciding to order this one. The 740 lumens alone sealed the deal, none of the others that I could find offered that amount of light, and YES it does make a difference when trying to illuminate an area for any reason, photos, safety, or just finding that something you are looking for. The strobe would be quite useful as a weapon light, and one of the reasons I purchased this light.

Overall Highly Recommended!

*********** Update ************

Ok, still loving this light, but after spending some time researching about Lithium batteries I have a couple of recommendations I think which are in order...

1. While the 'primaries' (CR123a's) that come with this seem to have the correct charge, I wouldn't use them. Non-consumer, made in china primaries seem to sometimes catch fire and occasionally explode (not necessarily this particular brand I should note), especially when stacked in series like these would be. I decided to pick up the recommended-in-the-manual battery; Fenix ARB-L2 18650 for it Fenix ARB-L2 18650 rechargeable battery., and a charger which is designed for that type of battery, and has protections while charging JETBeam IntelliCharger i4 PRO Charger V3 - 3rd Generation - 2013 Enhanced Version (Black) - for charging 18650, 16340(RCR123), 14500, etc..

If you stick with CR123a's, go with the American name brand versions (Energizer, Duracell, etc...) or the Japanese name brands (Sanyo, Panasonic, etc...). As far as I can tell there have been no reports of fires/explosions with those brands. This isn't just a flashlight, you are pushing the envelope here of what can be emitted by an LED, and battery power, as such certain precautions must be taken. Don't mix and match whatever you do, if you have two batteries of differing voltage you are likely carrying something that might have a catastrophic failure.

2. Spend some time on the Candle Power forums, and read about the safety of the batteries which power this, or other like this devices, before or after you purchase this, so you know what you are getting into. I love this light, but if I had known all the inherent dangers of the batteries up-front I might have just gone with a AA model instead. 740 Lumens is a super bright light, but for the most part 100+ lumens is sufficient for day-to-day use -- and regular AA's or AAA's don't pose as much of a hazard as the Lithium batteries do.

I'm still recommending this item, just do a little research before buying and KNOW what you are getting into... Don't buy cheap batteries whatever you do, forget those cheap CR123a's and the cheap 18650's. Pay the price for the correct item, handle it CAREFULLY, charge it with a correct charger, test the batteries with a meter regularly, and just be careful.

Recommended with caveats.
on December 25, 2012
This replaced a PD31 that I lost in Afghanistan due to a IED. I loved the PD31, and really had no reason to replace it until I lost it. Looking around on Amazon, I just came across the PD32UE, and went for it.

I really like the fact that this torch runs on x1 18650 battery or x2 CR123s. The 18650 is the way to go. Rechargable, longer run times, and just the perfect size for clipping on your belt when you head out.

This torch doesn't have quite the throw that my PD31 had, but it more than makes up for it with more lumens and flood. Surefire couldn't compete with this torch in the same price bracket if their company depended on it.
on December 20, 2012
I bought this to replace my itp sc2 eluma. I miss the backwards facing clip on the eluma that allowed me to clip it to a hat brim, and this light's a bit larger than the one it replaces (about an inch longer. both are double cr123a lights.) But this light is rugged and brighter than I'll ever need it to be. About the size of a 2 AA mag lite.
on December 15, 2012
Buy one of these flashlights now....right now! I own Surefire, EagleTac, JetBeam, Nitecore, and several other brands of high end flashlights. The PD32 UE, after having it in hand for less than 24-hours, is my favorite flashlight of all time.
on August 28, 2014
So I really really really wanted to give this flashlight a good review. Before purchasing I read all the reviews of other flashlights and spent a month thinking about which flashlight I want to spend $90 on (at the time). I'm an electrician and bought this light to keep in my daily bag for inspections. While it has been dropped a few times in the dirt or insulation I've never abused it,hasn't even seen a drop of water. It sits in its own compartment in my tool bag as not to get damaged by other tools and so I can quickly find out. However it has broke constantly since I've owned it. First time was the tail light switch went out, next time light stopped working all together, next time the light would only work when the selector switch was pressed and held down (which then would cycle thru rapidly thru the tactical settings). So now once again I have a $90 flashlight, dedicated batteries, and charger that are waiting for replacement parts. On the flip side I have a $60 Princeton tech headlamp that I abuse the hell out of and it has never let me down versus the light I baby all the time.

The pros.
Small and crazy powerful light for it's size. It gives off an impressive amount of heat
Lots of different light outputs
Diffuser is really handy until you lose it.
Easy to use, my toddler had it figured out in 10 seconds.

The cons.
Fragile. In the one year I've owned it I've already had to replace the end tailcap/switch once and the entire LED head unit twice . For the price it should be able to withstand even mild abuse. If this was a cheap $20 torch I could understand, but at $90 this thing should live thru hell.

Fenix warranty service is pretty responsive via e-mail but they do ship their replacement parts on a slow boat from China. So both times I've requested replacement parts they were shipped right away but took 4 weeks to get here.

Bottom line, I love the output and size of the light but hate the unreliability. I wouldn't trust this as my primary light source if you are out in the woods or in a situation where your life was dependent on this light.
on March 5, 2014
After only having my Fenix PD32UE for a few months, the switch started to malfunction. I had to hold the button down constantly in order for the light to stay on. A friend told me later that I needed to unscrew the switch and tighten the circular metal plate that's in there with a pair of needle-nose pliers. He also recommended that I clean the contact point with rubbing alcohol. This fixed the problem. It's now eight months later and my flashlight is no longer turning on at all. I tried tightening the circular plate AND cleaning the contact points again with rubbing alcohol, but this time around it did not work. I now have a useless flashlight that won't turn on at all. This problem should NOT keep repeating itself like it has for me. I do use my flashlight a lot to go caving and hiking, so it gets a fair amount of abuse. Perhaps that is what causes the switch to malfunction. If you aren't as active as me, then this might not be a concern for you.
on August 31, 2015
A very high quality flashlight. I use mine every night, 15-20 minutes at a time for a total of 1-2 hours. The power and mode switches get a real workout. I don't have the best night vision and as a result need a bright light. This one does the trick. On highest power it will light up most of my one acre pasture. It is considerably brighter than the PD32, which I also own. I have learned by experience buying the cheap LED lights that they may be as bright as this one, but they will soon let you down. Seals will leak and the cheap switches will fail.