5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great
(I have just started to use this book, and am a few chapters in, so keep in mind that this is a review of the format and structure of the book, not of every detail.)

I am trying to revive my French after seven years of dormancy, and I thought this book might help me to produce the French that, these days, I can only read. I was not wrong. One of the broad,...
Published on October 11, 2006 by atisheh

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle is not useful to make small text larger
I wanted to have this on my Kindle however when reviewing the free trial it was obvious that the exercises and lists must be in a different format and do not augment the letters/exercises at all and some are very very small on a kindle screen. I hope a remedy for this issue with Kindle and various study books becomes available very soon, maybe Kindle 4??
Published on October 13, 2010 by A. Brackman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A quite good reference!, April 8, 2013
If you are serious about learning the French language and time, it is a must-have reference. The downside of this book is it wouldn't be much help for beginners as a lot of the fundamentals aren't gone over very carefully.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amost perfect., March 8, 2013
This review is from: The Ultimate French Verb Review and Practice (UItimate Review & Reference Series) (Paperback)
This book has contents pages, index, and answer key to the exercises. There is a brief introduction to remind you what a conjugation person chart is in English so you can relate it to the French version. The rest of the book is one quick review after another and exercises to practice. It is the information you need and very complete. If you have studied French before or if you were good enough in English to understand tenses and what conjugation is then you can get lots out of this book. My one star deduction is really a half star for not giving pronunciation marks for each French word the first time it is used. I know this book is about grammar and not about pronunciation, but I think they aren't exclusive. For example, how do you know that "I am" is correct but "I is" is not? If you get used to the correct sound combinations you are more likely to get it right whether you are speaking or writing. Yes, you could get a dictionary to look them all up but that interferes with the flow of learning. In my opinion, it is lazy of the author to not have included pronunciation but this is also a common omission in this kind of book. If verbs are what you want, this book has them and presents them well. Very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful verb workbook ~, May 9, 2012
I bought this to use to practice my verb conjugations. I typically don't write in the book itself, but have a notebook I write into. I was surprised at the amount of content and number of pages for the price.

I will say that this is a resource to use in addition to a proper French book, CDs, or class. It is not enough on its own to gain a grasp of the language. But if you are serious about learning French, beyond those phrases used for travel, then this is probably the most ideal verb work book. I highly recommend it for anyone studying French.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practice book, January 6, 2012
I have found that learning French as an adult requires using many different approaches from in-class teaching to movies to exercise books and Rosetta Stone. This book explains the fundamentals that I may miss in class (e.g. transitive vs intransitive verbs) in a understandable and clear fashion. It is not for a new French student since it requires some basic understanding of the language.

4.0 out of 5 stars it is pretty awesome., October 22, 2011
I'VE RECENTLY BOUGHT THIS BOOK FROM AMAZON,AND I HAVE TO SAY IT IS PRETTY AWESOME.FIRST,IT GIVES YOU THE RULES THEN SOME EXERCICES TO PRACTICE. I FIND IT COMPREHENSIBLE.BUT DOESN'T HAVE ANY VOCABULARY AT THE END.THAT'S WHY I GAVE IT A 4 STAR.OVERALL,IT'S A GOOD BOOK FOR IMPROVING YOUR FRENCH GRAMMAR.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, October 7, 2011
I'll be short, this is a great book, exactly what I was looking for and I am glad I bought it. I am a beginner, studing French at Alliance Francaise and got this book as an additional study at home resource. I like how it is structured and organized. Very short, precise to the point explanations of the topic without lenghty, too deep descriptions (thanks to authors). It starts with clearly explaining the rule and follows with very good exercises. It helps me with my vocabulary and grammar understanding as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, October 21, 2014
This is another book that needs a teacher sitting beside you when you use it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slowly disappointing, March 22, 2011
I was ready to give this book 5 stars after the first chapter. I finished the book now, one star it is.

Pros:
- Well structured.
- Lots of helpful exercises.

Cons:
- Grammar mistakes. Not typos, mistakes. Everywhere, in examples and answers. (p168 - Elle lui a dit qu'elle ne voudrait sortir pas avec lui. - same page - Il lui pourrait acheter des fleurs.)
- Some examples have nothing to do with the rules next to them.
- Redundant vocabulary. Not sure if it's the age of the authors or the place where they live, but literature students from la sorbonne did make fun of "web site" and "courriel." Don't even want to get into the ways they built some sentences.

Bottom line:
Don't understand why this book has so many positive reviews. It is exactly like other French grammar books out there - often confusing and full of mistakes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›