5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Helpful Book for Teaching Geography
Published 13 months ago by Michelle Albanese

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing but much too difficult
Published on October 17, 2011 by J

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazing but much too difficult, October 17, 2011
This review is from: Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I wish I would have borrowed this book before purchasing it and all the resources. After reading the first unit, I realized there is nothing set for me to teach geography. It gives great ideas and knowledge but nothing is put together for you. I am a homeschooling Mom of 3. I guess if I had all day and hours and hours of prep time I could put together a very fun and educational geography curriculum but since there's only one of me and many other subjects to teach, I will have to go with a more "boring" textbook type curriculum and move on. If you are very passionate about Geography and imaginative in your teaching and have time on your hands to plan it all then this is the book for you. If you are looking for something more straightforward that has each lesson planned out then keep looking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Helpful Book for Teaching Geography, August 1, 2013
Geography is a favorite subject in our household. Geography is not just memorizing states and countries, although that is great too, but it is also about people and their lifestyles and beliefs, land features, space, climate zones, and much, much more. This book is a great resource book that covers all of geography and helps you insert it all across your curriculum. It can be used throughout your child's schooling from K to 12. (I have the Third Edition which I didn't see listed on Amazon yet, although it looks the same as this one, so it may be a typo on the listing. Check out the publisher's website - Bright Ideas Press for the latest edition)

Here is just some of what it contains:

The "Where Do I Start? section gives tips on how to use this guide. Also includes a yearly guide by age and topic.

Chapter 1 is called "Planning your Destination." It gives you lots of teaching tips, grade level guidelines, and tips on creating a notebook, and supplies you might want to get including maps and atlases. I purchased the Merriam-Webster's Student Atlas.

Chapter 2 - Packing Your Bags: A Refresher Course ~ a wonderful section that you can use to teach yourself or your kids. It includes definitions, physical geo, human geo, and "The 5 Themes of Geography."
Chapter 3 - Finding Your Way With Maps - Choosing and Using Outline Maps, Five Themes and Outlines, Hands-On Maps and more

Chapter 4 - Off to See the World -includes geography fun (stamps, currency...), Current events (pen pals...), GeoTrekkin' (Flat Stanley, Geocaching, Trucker buddies...).

Chapter 5 - Geography in the Real World - Eat Your Way Around the World, More Fun and Games (Geo Memory, Name that Place!, Stinky Feet Game, and others...)

Chapter 6 - Geography Through Literature

Chapter 7 - Hans Brinker: A Study of Holland (A full literature unit study done for you!)

Chapter 8 - Geography Through Science

Chapter 9 - Geography Through Math

Chapter 10 - Geography Through History

Chapter 11 - Geography Through the Internet

Chapter 12 - Conquering the Continents - Teaching Pure Geography

Chapter 13 - Pure Geography for Middle School (by continent) I love this chapter, especially Challenge questions ("How Much do you Know About South America?")

Chapter 14 - Pure Geography for High School ("Conquering the Continents")

Chapters 15 - 17 include lots of reproducibles - maps, activity sheets and tools such as flashcards

Chapters 18-19 are devoted to Timelines including timeline figures and the Notebook Timeline of History

The Appendix contains geography terms defined, answer keys, chronological listing of timeline figures, Index of Timeline Figures and Who Am I? cards and more.

There is also a CD-Rom included so you don't have to make copies out of the book, you can print them out from the CD.

This is not a book you will go through with your children chapter by chapter. There is a chart at the beginning with recommended ages/levels for each chapter and a scope and sequence charts in the back. There are ideas for every age level, and more than you can possibly use. There is so much that some may be overwhelmed, but just take a look at the Yearly Guide on pages 2 & 3 to get an idea what to cover by grades. If you are looking for a scripted lesson plan, maybe you want something like the Daily Geography Practice books like Daily Geography Practice: Grade 6.

But I highly recommend this book!! In addition, I also recommend geography games to really help kids remember where countries are in relation to each other. We used all of the 10 Days in ( ___) games like 10 Days in Asia Game. In addition we used Visualize World Geography by Tender Heart Press, which was very good for learning all the countries on each continent in a fun way.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide, November 18, 2010
This is an amazing book filled with ideas to teach and to learn from. the CD provided is a great help when teaching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great text, January 23, 2013
This is a great text for teaching geography. Several approaches are offered and the book really coaches you on how to teach the topic. Excellent for homeschoolers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Geography Book, June 11, 2014
We are using this book for our current year with my high school son. It is not a straightforward curriculum so I"m glad that I have a plan on how to use it to follow. However, it will remain in our library. It's a fantastic resource. We can't wait to be able to play Who am I.

My only complaint was that the independent seller of this book did not disclose that the CD was missing. You definitely NEED to purchase the CD. Luckily my husband is willing to make copies for me.

Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide 2nd Edition
Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide 2nd Edition by Cindy Wiggers (Paperback - 2009)
Used & New from: $29.78