Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 18, 2007
This book is much more than just a list of carb counts. First, it teaches what carbs are, including the often confusing sugar alcohols. Then it gives you a choice of carb counting methods, from very basic to very technical. It teaches how to use each method, read labels, and estimate when necessary. There are food lists for each method and quizzes to make sure you're understanding the info. Of course, there is also a list of total carbs and fiber in 2500 different foods. I have been counting carbs for 4 years, but found new (to me) info in this book.
on August 31, 2007
We have had several books on this topic but none have been as complete. This one book clearly teaches how to count carbs easily. There are exhaustive lists on foods and their "carb-counts". And there are even charts of many well-known eating establishments and how to count carbs when eating "in" or "taking out".
on February 25, 2008
This book is well-written and contains much information that is very helpful for those who have the responsibilty for monitoring carbs for a person with diabetes. I especially appreciate the sections dealing with sugar alcohols and carb counts for ethnic and restuarant foods. What a help!
VINE VOICEon November 5, 2008
Well this book was really a great mistake. What I mean is, I was trying to find a book that was just a list of carb counts. Instead, we received a book filled with helpful information on carb counting beyond 'the list'. My husband is a type 1 diabetic, and I really watch my carbs, so this book has helped us both a lot. The info on stuff like sugar alcohols, etc. helps a lot because many of the packages are labeled in misleading ways regarding 'net' carbs'. This book gave us some answers as to which ones I can subtract (for weight control) as opposed to which ones my husband can and cant subtract (that still can affect bood sugar). The eating out guides are great, but the way restaurants change menus, the info gets outdated quickly. However, getting into the habit of asking for nutrition info makes it easy to work it all out for yourself.
on April 27, 2012
If your are a Diabetic, more than likely you will hear the term "counting carbs". It was easier for me to say it than put into into practice. In my experience, this book makes it much easier to follow a diet plan by counting carbs. This book helped me implement a very low carbohydrate diet which I use to help manage my blood sugars. Being a diabetic, the author knows his subject. The book is an easy read, the writing is clear and understandable. My copy is tabbed with lots of notes in the margins.

The same author wrote "think like a pancreas", another book that I use constantly. If you are taking Insulin, read this book. Both of these books were fundamental to me taking control of my diabetes.
on June 24, 2008
The great thing about this book is it really explains Diabetes and and how Nutrition works and gives so much needed information. Very good and easy to understand and has all the Calorie, Carbohydrate Counters. It's kind of like Diabetes for Dummies...
on February 5, 2009
The description of this book should clearly state that a huge part of this book is about restaurant and processed food. Since I almost never eat out and never eat at chain restaurants, that part (about half) was not of any value. I would have preferred that the list of whole foods be more exhaustive.
on August 21, 2010
Unfortunately, this book doesn't have an active table of contents for the Kindle edition, so it's next to useless for that purpose. My husband was recently diagnosed with Type II diabetes, and among the four books on diabetes and carbs etc. I've downloaded for our Kindles, this is the only one that wasn't easily searchable. I've already received my refund from Amazon. Too bad.
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2015
I really love this book! I am going back to carb counting (via the book Life Without Bread) to normalize my blood sugar and was looking for a really concise book that explains all the ins and outs of carb counting. This book is the perfect compliment to the book I'm reading. This really simplifies carb counting, goes into detail about how to count sugar alcohols, subtracting fiber, etc. What I also really like about this great little book is that on the particular plan I'm following, I don't have to count low starch veggies, and this book gives a really nice list of what is considered low starch and high starch veggies. I'm really satisfied with my purchase. Makes carb counting easy once you understand all the principles. A little gem of a book!
on January 21, 2014
this book is my go to guide for being educated on counting and keeping track of my carb intake. The author really educates you on a level that you can understand and quizzes you along the way to help you retain what you have read.