5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful book of healing stories, practices and attitudes, July 25, 2004
This review is from: Ultimate Healing: The Power of Compassion (Paperback)
This lovely book was written by Lama Zopa Rinpoche, the heart disciple of Lama Yeshe. Those who are familiar with Tibetan Buddhism will know of Lama Yeshe as a truly remarkable man, one of the first lamas to teach Buddhism to Western students, and founder of FPMT, an excellent organization for the promotion of Mahayana Buddhism to bring health and happiness to people around the world. Lama Yeshe's books are full of love, compassion and wisdom, and Lama Zopa Rinpoche follows in his teacher's footsteps with this remarkable volume.

The books title is "Ultimate Healing", and I suppose this title is very suitable, because while the book concentrates on healing of the body, and includes remarkable cases of individuals being healed from cancer, AIDS, and other illnesses and maladies, Lama Zopa Rinpoche places this all within the broader context of healing the spirit/mind. As even Western science is proving now to be true, the mind is incredibly powerful in bringing about healing. Yet we must understand by the word "mind" something much larger than is usually meant in English -- in Buddhism the "mind" is "that which experiences". In other words, our entire subjectivity. Since everything we experience is done so through this mind/subjectivity, learning to control it effectively means learning to control our whole experience. That would mean being able to effect a state of lasting happiness, with a complete cessation of suffering. Now, that's real ultimate healing!!

Along with inspiring stories, Lama Zopa Rinpoche presents the effective methods that enable one to bring about this ultimate healing. Specifically, there is a long chapter on the Medicine Buddha practice -- a lovely practice for healing and well-being that can be used for oneself or others. It involves some visualization and mantra recitation. Again, such techniques may seem strange to those unfamiliar with Eastern religions, but they have been proved effective in medical contexts. Even if the illness is not totally removed (and it may be), a person's degree of suffering can certainly be lessened. There are additional chapters on blessing water, the benefits of creating good karma by acts of kindness (such as freeing animals who are about to be killed), how to deal with depression, etc.

Even among the many great books on healing and Buddhism out there, this one is truly a gem, and I am sure it will bring great benefit to many people who read it. Advanced students of Buddhism and those who know nothing about Buddhism or the healing arts -- all can gain and be inspired by this treasure trove.

May you be healthy, and bring all those you love to a state of perfect health and happiness as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars PERHAPS THE BEST HEALING BOOK IN EXISTENCE!!!, September 27, 2001
This review is from: Ultimate Healing: The Power of Compassion (Paperback)
...for paranoid schizophrenia, depression, cancer, and AIDS.
The author is a famous and extremely beloved lama in Tibetan
Buddhism. Tibetan Buddhism is a "touchy" subject once we go
past our common agreement that the Dalai Lama is a "nice guy."
In the Dali Lama's tradition, there are lower rebirths in which
one may be in hell for millions of years. And in which a human rebirth is considered rare. The author will talk about "spirit
harm". This tradition also believes, like Hinduism and Christianity, in spirit possession. Once we try to understand
these concepts with an Einsteinian view as opposed to a
Newtonian one of seperate objects existing within and by themselves, we can then set the preliminaries to a new kind of
healing. The author provides remedies, but not certain cures,
for anything crummy that might happen to you. And since this
tradition (Gelukpa) is not supposed to lie, I would believe the
claims that he makes. This is the one book that I would want by my bedside if I were dying of AIDS. By doing a very advanced but simple practice called "tonglen", one can transmute
one's own disease into one of helping all beings everywhere.
And ironically enough, this seems to be the best cure for
seemingly fatal and hopeless diseases! The author states that
there has only been one recorded recovery from AIDS through
meditation, but I believe that this may increase as we study
Tibetan Buddhism and Tibetan Medicine more closely. Perhaps you will only be able to accept these cures when you let down
our view of a "skin-encapsulated" ego and invite a vision
of an interconnected world. Otherwise, most of this beautiful and wonderful content will be dismissed as superstition. If the reader can remain logical but not judgemental, he or she could find themselves not only healed, but even healthier and happier than before. Thank you and I wish you well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wonders of the Vows of the Great Medicine Buddha !, June 16, 2006
This review is from: Ultimate Healing: The Power of Compassion (Paperback)
For the convenience of those who are new to Medicine Buddha, below is a brief extract of the wonderful benenfits and mantra.

Buddha spoke of the original vows of the Great Medicine Buddha in the excerpt of The Sutra of the Master of Healing as follows :-

The first vow. `I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained unexcelled complete Enlightenment, my body should be shining like a brilliant light, throwing beams on infinite, and boundless, worlds, adorned with a retinue of thirty-two forms of the Great Men and with eighty physical characteristics of the Buddha, I shall make all beings wholly equal to me.'

The second vow. `I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained Perfect Enlightenment, my body should be like a crystal in spotless purity both within and without, with splendorous radiant light, in the majesty of its virtue, sitting serenely, adorned with the aureole, brighter than the sun and the moon, I shall reveal my great power to all the beings in obscurity, in order that they may act freely according to their bent.'

The third vow. `I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained Perfect Enlightenment, I should grant by means of boundless wisdom, to all beings the inexhaustible things that they may need and that they may be free from any want.'

The fourth vow. `I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained Perfect enlightenment, I should bring those who have gone the heterodox ways to dwell tranquilly in the way of Bodhi; and those who travel on the Vehicle of the Sramana and the Pratyekabuddha on the Vehicle of the Sramana and the Pratyekabuddha to stand firmly in the Great Vehicle of Bodhisattva.'

The fifth vow. `I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained Perfect Enlightenment, I should enable the innumerable beings to observe all the moral laws to mend their ways to pure living, and to obey the three cumulative commandments. Should there be any relapse, or violation, they shall again become pure once they hear of my name, then they shall not fall into evil existences.'

The sixth vow. 'I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained Perfect Enlightenment, those beings who are physically inferior, with imperfect senses, such as, the ugly, stupid, blind, deaf, mute, crippled, paralysed, hump-backed, leprous, lunatic, or sick in many respects, shall all of them, when they hear my name, regain their normal appearances and become intelligent. All their senses shall be perfectly restored, and they shall not suffer from diseases.'

The seventh vow. 'I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained Perfect Enlightenment, those who are tormented by diseases, who have nobody to whom they can seek for help, without a refuge, without a doctor, without medicine, without relatives, without a home; these poor and miserable beings shall all of them be free from diseases and troubles, and shall enjoy perfect health of body and mind, once my name reaches their ears. They shall have families, friends and properties a-plenty, and shall all be brought to the supreme Enlightenment of Buddha.'

The eighth vow. 'I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained Perfect Enlightenment, women who are tormented by the hundred of sufferings of the female sex, who are much wearied of life and long to make bodily sacrifice, shall all of them, when they hear my name, be transformed into men instead of women, in the next re-birth, they shall get the form of manhood and shall in the end attain the supreme Enlightenment of Buddha.'

The ninth vow. 'I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained Perfect Enlightenment, I should let all being to escape the evil nets of Mara, to be free from other non-Buddhist cults. If they should have fallen into the dense forest of false doctrines, I should assist and lead them to the noble truths, and gradually induce them to lead the life of a Bodhisattva and soon they shall attain supreme Enlightenment of Buddha.'

The tenth vow. 'I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained Perfect Enlightenment, I should bring it to pass that all those who are recorded and condemned by the royal law to be bound and whipped, to be enchained in prisons, to be sentenced to capital punishment, too meet numerous other disasters and insult, to be afflicted with sorrow and anguish, to be troubled both in body and in mind, shall, when they hear of my name, escape evil kalpas through the awe-inspiring majesty of my blessedness and virtue.'

The eleventh vow. 'I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained Perfect Enlightenment, I should bring it to pass that all beings who are tormented by hunger and thirst and who, in order to obtain drink and food, if they can carefully remember my name and cherish it, then I should let them taste the flavour of the Dharma, and eventually lead a tranquil and happy life.'

The twelfth vow. 'I vow that, after my reincarnation and having attained Perfect Enlightenment, all beings who are poor and naked, tormented day and night by mosquitoes and wasps, by cold and heat, when they hear my name and carefully remember and cherish it, shall receive the wonderful garments of all kinds, as well as valuable ornaments, chaplets of fragrant flower; and various kinds of instrumental music shall resound. Whatever they dream of, they shall have in abundance.'

...

"Then, Manjushri, when the Master of Healing, Azure Radiance Tathagata, had attained perfect Enlightenment, to become the Buddha of Medicine, he saw by virtue of his vows, that the beings were suffering from all sorts of diseases, such as tuberculosis, bilious fever, or that they were affected by a spell or by poison, or that some were by their nature short-lived, or that some have died a violent death. He wish to fulfil all their desires by putting an end to all these diseases and miseries. Therefore the World's Most Venerable entered into a Samadhi called the Removal of Suffering for All Beings. While He was in this contemplation a great radiance of light of light was sent forth from his Ushnisa, and he pronounced the great Dharani as follows:

"NAMO BHAGAVATE BHAISAJAYA-GURU-VAIDURYA-PRABHA-RAJAYA

TATHAGATAYA ARHATE SAMYAKSAMBUDDHAYA TADYATHA OM

BHAISAJYE BHAISAJYE BHAISAJYA SAMUDGATE SVAHA"

When He, in his radiance, had spoken this mystical formula, the earth was shaken and emitted a great light. All beings were delivered from their diseases and miseries, they are now happy because their bodies and minds are at rest.

"Manjushri, if you see a pious man or woman who suffers from a disease, you shall do the following whole-heartedly for those sick people: let them keep clean by taking frequently baths and rinse their mouths, give them food, medicine and clean water, and recite the Dharani for a hundred and eight times, then all diseases will disappear entirely. When one of them has a particular wish, he shall concentrate and recite the magic formula. Then he will fulfil all he wishes, he will be without disease, and will live longer. After his death, he will born in paradise without having to return to this world, and will in the end attain perfect Enlightenment. Therefore, Manjushri, if there is a pious man or woman who very seriously prays to the Buddha of Medicine and, he or she must always keep in mind this magic formula and never forget it."

End of Excerpt.

May all be liberated!

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound wisdom and practices, April 27, 2011
This review is from: Ultimate Healing: The Power of Compassion (Paperback)
I am a Reiki Healer and the wisdom in this book has changed my approach to Energy Healing. Lama Zopa has eloquently presented the teachings and practices in a clear, concise way.

There are times when it isn't easy to read this book - not because its boring, but just the opposite. These times are where buttons are pushed, raw parts of ourselves are exposed. But that's part of a healing process - working on those parts of ourselves that need healing - and then helping others.

This is a wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for everyone and any religion., February 26, 2014
This review is from: Ultimate Healing: The Power of Compassion (Paperback)
What else can I say other than "What a great book to have. Absolutely a must to read, especially now when sickness is often caused by a simple thing called STRESSSSS!!!!! You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for the serious, August 23, 2014
An inspiring book on healing. Although it's Vajrayana focused, Lama Zopa Rinpoche really undertakes the bigger topic of healing with mind, faith and offers multiple methods that could be applied by people of other streams. Highly recommended for the serious. Although not a "beginner" book, it is not difficult to comprehend or apply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 4, 2014
love it!

Ultimate Healing: The Power of Compassion
Ultimate Healing: The Power of Compassion by Thubten Yeshe (Paperback - June 15, 2001)
$16.95 $13.79