Ultimate Journey
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$13.79 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: Paperback
Robert Monroe achieved his masterpiece in this volume. The final missing Basic became a Known. At least it did for him, and for those who take the time to contemplate it- or better yet, experience it for themselves. As for those who aren't yet ready for the truth, well, maybe on their next trip around....

Over the years I have been fascinated with Mr. Monroe's books. Here was a thoroughly left-brain type of individual (a successful engineer and business man) with an open mind. He wasn't a "convert" to the perrenial philosophy, no, he just totally reconstructed the core of metaphysical truth FROM SCRATCH. Or rather, he remembered. Mr. Monroe was no student of religion or metaphysics yet he reached a model of existance that is fully compatible with neoplatonism. We originate from a Creator beyond space and time, we descend into the holographic dream of space-time, we gain experience (along with our kindred sparks) through a varying number of lifetimes, our more evolved "higher selves" reach back through time and space to help ourselves at crucial moments, and we finally return back to the Creator bearing our hard-won gifts. He didn't get this from Plato, Plotinus, or the Upanishads- HE FOUND IT OUT FOR HIMSELF THROUGH DIRECT EXPERIENCE.

Oh yes, he even came to an understanding of M-field energy and manipulation techniques ( most call it magic and correspondence theory.) He also realised the truth of the rare few who "can do covertly anything imaginable- and much that we cannot imagine."

Well done, wanderer, well done....
on January 11, 1998
Format: Paperback
Unlike his previous two books, Monroe answers many more questions than he raises. He has come full circle to tell the "truth" about who we are, why we are here and where we can go. More than a guidebook, this book is tantamount to being the Bible for those who believe in the reality of OBE's. Monroe ties all the loose ends together, in as tight a knot as he can, and is finally able to present to us that elusive jewel of insight-the reason for our human existence. It will (hopefully) change, in a fundamental way, how we view reality and our ourselves.
However, to truly appreciate and understand this book, readers should first familiarize themselves with his previous two works. Despite an introductory chapter intended to acquaint unfamiliar readers with his history and experiences with OBE's, Monroe quickly plunges into charting new territory and insights. This is not a how-to book but the author's firsthand experiences traveling out-of-body. Understanding these experiences are difficult enough to grasp by the initiated reader but they may be indecipherable to the unfamiliar. The author's writings are also heavily laden with his own terminologies for describing reality in "the other side." If not familir with his his style and his vocabulary, one could find him or herself a bit perplexed.
VINE VOICEon April 11, 2004
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
In his previous books, Out of the Body Travels written in 1973, and Far Journeys published in 1987 Monroe does not quite attain the level he has reached with this his third and best book.

Now he has behind him more than 30 years of experience in astral travel and practice, which is clearly reflected in this excellent, pager turner narration. This last book of the trilogy is the frosting of the cake in relation to his last two, which were rudimentary works of a pioneer.

Monroe is convinced there will be complete emotional and astral freedom in the 35-century for himself, and the group of souls that comprises his oversoul. Sounds like a long time assuming time has the same meaning in other realities as it does here. (Which does not, since time is an illusion created by clocks calendars, the orbit of Earth around the Sun, rotating on its axis, and mortal mind beliefs).

"you make your own reality" and Monroe proved it while discovering reality is a hologram type of illusion one hundred percent mentally created and imagined. He does not try to mix his discoveries with superstitions of any sort but keeps his wonderful discoveries uncontaminated.

Eventually we all, at our right moment, will evolve to reach a merger with our personal oversoul who as well is in an endless adventure of progression.
on May 24, 2000
Format: Paperback
I first became aware of Robert Monroe in the late 70's and found him 'too deep' for my understanding. At the time I was about 18 or 19 years old. With time, and a neverending thirst for knowledge, my capacity for understanding has increased. I guess age does that to a person. After recently picking up a copy of this book, I realized that I enjoyed as never before, what this man had to say. His encounters read almost like a novel, with perhaps the most interesting being his experiences with what he called an INSPEC (Intelligent Species), a type of highly evolved being which serves as guide and mentor. Though he writes with great clarity and wit, he at times uses terminology that some readers might find a bit confusing, or dry (like reading a medical dictionary)! At these times it may be helpful to look past the jargon and see the total picture (story) rather than focussing on particulars (technical lingo). If you can do this you will get far greater enjoyment (at least I did) for your efforts. Know this: This book is well worth the read and in my humble opinion, is destined to become one of the classics in astral projection literature.
on December 30, 2011
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Robert Monroe had more hands on experience in the astral than almost anyone ever will, while still having a functional physical body, and must be respected for that.

While a good read that held my attention (read it in 3 days, and Im a slow reader), some things irked me about his third book in the trilogy, and IMHO, was not quite as enjoyable as the previous two books.

(1) We all must remember that what he saw, what he experienced, was filtered through his own beliefs and mental structures, and are not necessarily an accurate representation of the "objective" reality that was being perceived, if there even is any such thing as an "objective" reality. One big irk was that I do not believe he saw his own perceptions as subjective, but rather as objective in nature, and did everything but explicitly claim that his perception was the correct one. I would advise against anyone accepting his personal interpretation of things as the "objective" way things are. As much as he derides belief systems, he sure built up a good one in this book and less so in the prior two.

(2) I felt this third book was a little scattered in its writing as well. It did not flow as smoothly as the previous two.

(3) The technical parts, as I call those parts where he explains the general mechanics, as he sees them, of the Great Beyond, were not enjoyable. Unfortunately, these technical sections could last for chapters at a time, and read like a technical manual (I am also critical of this with other authors on the subject as well, such as Robert Bruce).

(3.5) I also noticed that most of his personally coined terms were generally synonymous with many New-Age and/or Eastern terms. For example, his "I-There" was as much of an "Oversoul" as one could get without actually calling it an Oversoul. His "HTSI" (human time space illusion) rings around the planet mind as well have been called the 7 realms of the astral planes (coincidentally or not, the HTSI rings had 7 major levels, and are structured similarly), "Earth-Life-System" = physical plane; and this goes on and on. He did say he wanted to back away from terms that were attached to belief systems, but to me, it just ended up seeming unnecessary and at times, confusing.

(And judging by the second "most helpful" review: "The "Bible" of the OBE Believer", it seems the new terms have not evaded beliefs being attached to them as well.)

(4) I feel that he let the trilogy end on a down note. The very last 1/3 of a page out of 800 or so pages in the three books combined, really felt like a classic anti-climax; the trilogy was concluded with a personal doubt about if love lasts for long beyond the physical. A real downer at the end.

Ultimately, what he have here is NOT "The "Bible" of the OBE Believer", but one man's perspective, and one man's philosophy about what the other side is like. To understand where the perspective is coming from, we only need to look at the authors background and personality. He was for most of his life prior, and probably still after, his first OBEs, a personality in the vein of the classically trained, Western scientist of the mid 20th century (though not a scientist by profession), the perspective of which dominated the trilogy and foreshadowed all interpretations and conclusions reached.

Overall, a good book to read through if you thoroughly enjoy the subject of astral projection and are already primed in the subject, but reading the series in order is IMO, a must. If you are not technically oriented (ie, dont have a personality like Robert Monroe), you might find some chapters and some technical tangents difficult to get through.

If you are not primed in the subject already, I might recommend starting with another author, perhaps William Buhlman

As ol Bob says at the end of Far Journeys: "Pas de Lieu Rhone que Nous" (Paddle Your Own Canoe), and as Buddha said:

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
on October 12, 1999
Format: Paperback
I thought this book was an excellent starting point. I have no psychic powers and have been practicing remote viewing principles detailed in this book for a little over six months. I use Neurosync behavior/mind altering interactive software techniques while I work in the theta mode with subliminals selected to improve my psychic and intuitive brain functions. To have an out of body experience, I drink NO caffeine or alcohol and do not smoke; then I use the Neurosync full screen mode for an hour in the high theta range of 8cps and then I also use a light and sound machine in the 8 cycles per second range for an hour to start my OBE session. I have had some startling results with investing, and in my personal life. I was a complete skeptic before using the techniques in this book along with the other equipment. Note: Hemisync Tapes are a waste of time. You just have to buy this book and try it yourself and try these other technical aids that are being researched by the NIMH, NIH, VA and a dozen major Universities. UNBELIEVABLE.
on January 6, 2006
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This is my favorite of the Monroe books but it helps to read all three in order. I think that the jargon he uses (often times different from other source of knowledge about OBEs or Astral Travel) would otherwise be difficult to grasp. Also it is interesting to see how his perception becomes more refined over time (nearly 20 years from the first book to this one). I think that there is advanced spiritual knowledge here in disguise as a travelouge (albeit astral travelogue).
on March 30, 2007
Format: Hardcover
I have now read all three of the late Dr. Monroe's books and in the correct sequence, but I'm still not totally convinced of the reality of his 'journeys'. My readings in Buddhism and other spiritual systems tend to support his experiences, at least to some degree, but much of what I've read in the many NDE (near death experiences) accounts and studies that I've read (cf. Ring, Valarino, et al) don't quite match up. Where is the tunnel of light? etc. Nothing much about Karma either. But reincarnation is neatly confirmed and then some.

In his favor, I don't see any reason why he would invent this material. He was already independently wealthy when he started writing and didn't seem to have any need or want for public attention. More importantly, he set up his Institute which has been functional for several decades now and enjoined the cooperation of many leading scientists etc. and it has produced numerous useful papers and books.

Also his work in hemi-sync research is much respected by other scholars, even utilized by the US Army and elsewhere, and the hemi-sync is the fundamental tool he had used to facilitate others entering into the states of altered consciousness which have led to their own parallel experiences which sort of confirm his.

Above all, he tries to present all this in a calm and fairly objective, almost scientific manner, without the usual touchy-feely trendy 'New Age' kinds of wishful thinking that so often pollute these kinds of subjects.

Still... In his earlier 'Far Journeys' and in this volume, there is a certain amount of flippant or pseudo-humorous, near-comical material, e.g. with respect to 'KT-95' and its denizens and their activities and interests, and the conversations he has with entities from there, as well as the conversations he has with the INSPECs (i.e. himself, as it turns out!). All of that seems to me to be almost silly rather than reflective of any reality he encountered.

He does gradually bring all the material into a kind of all-inclusive theory or presentation of the purpose of life, our origins, etc., and (mostly) what happens to the 'soul' or 'essence' of us when we depart, and it all rounds in as something pleasant, happy, and optimistic - in other words exactly what the average reader wants to hear. And he may have been right about it all, but it could also be just a little too good to be true.

I think that his first book 'Journeys out of the Body' was far and away the most interesting and best-written. As for this one, oh well, even if what he writes isn't really true after all, if nothing else it is at least quite entertaining.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 17, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
As an avid OOB traveler studying under a certain path for over 30 years, I grew restless for more--I longed to go past dogma, past 'religion', past 'spirituality' past all the hype and beliefs. I wanted to move PAST it all to see what is REALLY our there--without my 'belief blinders' on.

THIS BOOK OPENED UP NEW VISTAS FOR ME. I will always be grateful to Robert Monroe for writing his experiences and leaving a road map so we can learn to move OOB with NO BELIEF SYSTEM or fears holding us back from true perception.
**As to the review that states he had trouble understanding the terminology--THERE IS A DEFINITIONS PAGE IN BACK WHERE YOU CAN EASILY LOOK IT UP. That reader must have missed that or had an earlier edition that didn't have it maybe???

Others in his shoes proclaimed themselves 'Masters' and started religions or 'new age' groups with them at the HEAD of course--bow down as thou cannot travel without MY PRESENCE...blah blah.

He is a refreshing drop in the spiritual ocean, pure, with no ulterior motives, no selfish needs for adoration of the masses and no DESIRE to start a new religion.

What he does explore, experiences and discovers he discusses without ego. What he is trying to do is get us over our FEARS and misgivings enough to TRY and follow in his footsteps--not as adoring masses but as EXPLORERS with his map in our hands, explorers to have our own experiences in our own right. What a breath of fresh air from every other book that tries to mak the oob experiencer above us, some sort of master, come thou lowly types and follow me...ad nauseum....

I had never thought about TRAINING MY LEFT BRAIN as I always thought the RIGHT brain was the spirito-creative part of me. Well, that's right and then not...as he says, unless you TRAIN the left brain to RECALL clearly what the RIGHT brain experiences in these other states of reality--what good is it? If you cannot grow and apply it, it is useless. If you barely REMEMBER it--or get 'stuck' in spiritual belief systems so the experience has to conform to your beliefs for you to accept it---then that isn't truth either.

It is truth for you if you accept it...BUT if you want REAL truth, drop belief, drop blinders, drop FEARS and GO yourself and get your OWN experience!!!
***TIMELESS advice and I wish I had discovered him Waaay back! Guess I wasn't ready!

A MUST READ FOR ANY PERSON INTERESTED IN OOB TRAVEL TO AVOID PITFALLS AND TRAPS OF OUR OWN MAKING ALONG THE WAY!

Aloha
on March 27, 2014
Format: Paperback
I read his books when in prison. I served 6 years 4 months and 3 days in prison on a marijuana conviction as I was a trafficker from 1984-1992. While locked up I began to feel the possibility of freeing my mind while my body was caged. If I could do this the prison cell and prison walls would become irrelevant. I began reading all the books on metaphysics I could get my hands on and eventually found Robert Monroe. After enough effort, desire and focused attention I began having the experiences I was seeking, out of body experiences. They were mystical, magical and a delight of the highest order but I still experienced suffering in my cage.

I was completely liberated from bondage (even though I was still locked up) after hitting my proverbial “rock bottom” during my fourth year in prison. Though I was having out of body experiences on a regular basis I still had issues and was suffering with my family (daughter) on the outside while I remained locked in a cage. Eventually the book Conversations With God by Neale Donald Walsch fell into my hands. This book liberated my heart and brought me a peace I never knew existed.

The journey is a worthy and a noble pursuit if you seek it in earnest.

After prison I put myself through college and grad school becoming a Computer Scientist. I became a college professor and IT Consultant to (of all organizations) the Federal Government. I was granted a security clearance and worked on a project for the Department of Homeland Security.

I need a refresher course and am re-reading some of Robert A. Monroe’s books again.

Best Wishes Everyone,