5.0 out of 5 stars Birch Sugar, The Ultimate Sweetner
I have tried every cane sugar substitute there is and this stuff is the best.

It doesn't affect my blood sugar levels...it's good for my gums and teeth.

It tastes great and no icky aftertaste.

I use a bit more than I would cane sugar.

I have recently learned that Birch Sugar and other xylitol products are poisen to dogs and cats.
Published on December 24, 2005 by Autumn Leaves

2.0 out of 5 stars Claims not very informative
Published on September 27, 2011 by RM

5.0 out of 5 stars Birch Sugar, The Ultimate Sweetner, December 24, 2005
Autumn Leaves "Amyo" (Point Roberts, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Life - The Ultimate Sweetener - 100% Pure Birch Sugar - 1.75 lbs. (Health and Beauty)
I have tried every cane sugar substitute there is and this stuff is the best.

It doesn't affect my blood sugar levels...it's good for my gums and teeth.

It tastes great and no icky aftertaste.

I use a bit more than I would cane sugar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, but as of 2012 they decreased the amount you get from 2lbs to 1.75lbs and still charging the same high price, June 11, 2010
Definitely better than sugar and healthier for the teeth too.
It has a much more refreshing taste than sugar and I feel just a little goes a long way in terms of sweetness so in the long run if you are not a person who uses sugar on a daily bases this is a great product to get for those few times you may need some sugar for baking or making candy and want a more healthy option for your teeth, your body, and for your family.

This brand is one of the best out there, in comparing with other brands I have purchased in a store like "Emerald" and the "Now brand", those other brands did not compare to this one. If you want one of the best Xylitol brands...This is the one to get. Testing them side by side, this one wins!

I have cooked with this and it works fine for baked goods...but if you have a baked good that requires you to make a syrup from sugar...Xylitol does not work the same way, it will crystallize back after it cools and will not stay in a syrup state... but I am sure there is some trick one can do to make it stay in syrup form after heating (maybe adding a little cornstarch or baking soda who knows!) but you will have to research on it! let me know if you find out :)

Update 2012:
It seems the company has changed the package sizing from 2 lbs (909 g) to 1.75 lbs (795 g) and still charging the same price without explanation! They have decreased the amount of Xylitol and are still charging the same high price which really is unfair..We are now getting less product for what we are paying. Also, a lot of the companies selling the product here on Amazon are taking advantage. You need to make sure you do not pay more that $19.00 for this. I am so disappointed in the company and Sellers on Amazon as this was my favorite brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instead of sugar, January 21, 2010
I always buy this product and use it in all cooking and baking. It measures the same as "regular" sugar, yet does not effect the sugar level in the body. Since my husband is diabetic and I have to watch sugar intact some myself, this product if the perfect answer for us. We highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tasting xylitol, July 21, 2011
ilanao (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this because I found out the previous brand I had was made from corn and not birch trees. I prefer to avoid corn products because of the pesticides used to grow them are toxic and some products are genetically modified. I read the other reviews and decided to try the Ultimate Life Sweetener. Like other xylitol products, the crystals are large and do not dissolve unless put in hot liquid. It has a great taste and I am very happy with it. I use it in herbal tea and on cereal. For dental use, I also found that you can put a piece of sugarless gum in your mouth and add a pinch of xylitol to turn your favorite gum into xylitol gum. It's a little crunchy at first, but I like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes great in everything!, March 11, 2011
ernesto sandoval (downey, ca United States) - See all my reviews
I love this in baked goods. I would recommend this to anyone who can not have sugar in their diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, October 20, 2011
This is the best xylitol I have ever used. The others are somewhat less expensive, but this one truly works just like sugar. I haven't been disappointed yet, and plan on ordering more for Christmas baking soon!

2.0 out of 5 stars Claims not very informative, September 27, 2011
RM (Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews
Great claims about slower metabolism than plain sugar, but no glycemic index numbers on the package or website. There are no values for amount of sugar contained or any other nutritional values on the packaging or website. It calls itself "100% Pure Birch Sugar." Actually, Xylitol is an alcohol sugar, as are Mannitol and Sorbitol. When I looked it up, Wikipedia stated, "Xylitol is produced by hydrogenation of xylose, which converts the sugar (an aldehyde) into a primary alcohol." How "natural" is this? There are no warnings about the laxation potential to cause intestinal problems such as diarrhea, flatulence and bloating. Apparently the same processes are not used to refine this sweetener as an often used "surreal step" described for some white and brown sugars. But, there is no information about the processes used to extract this Xylitol as "a byproduct of [trees cut down for]the furniture industry in Finland." The quotes are from the packaging, except for the words between the symbols []or as noted from Wikipedia's website today.

The price was ok, and the product is sweet, but contributes to reflux or heartburn for me as much as white sugar does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., May 9, 2014
I've been using this product for a long time. I only quit because I did find something else that is much cheaper. But it tastes just like sugar w/o the sugar effects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sugar substitute, April 27, 2014
I have used Ultimate for years. Can't say enough about it as it's a natural sugar substitute that tastes just like sugar and metabolizes slowly. it. I actually mix one half Ultimate Sweetener with one half regular sugar so I cut my sugar colories.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Sweetener, xylitol, is good even for diabetics, December 14, 2013
A number of years ago, I was erroneously diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I substituted this sweetener for sugar, as well as watching my diet and exercising and am no longer close to diabetic. The Ultimate sweetener is birch sugar, also known as xylitol. They used to carry it at Whole Foods. No more. I seem to only find it from Amazon. It is a little less sweet than sugar, and larger grains. It has no artificial taste like stevia or other that one in a yellow package.

Rate and Discover Movies