Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 - Playstation 3
Format: Video GameChange
Price:$44.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon December 2, 2011
Let's face it- the original Marvel vs Capcom 3 was pretty disappointing. The whole thing felt rushed, some characters were clearly overpowered (hey, just like in MvC2!), online gameplay was a nightmare, and it lacked polish. It was obvious that another iteration was going to come out, and as soon as Ultimate was announced, I sold my copy without hesitation. The final weeks leading up to UMvC3's release had me hyped, since I couldn't wait to get what could be the 'true' version of the game. While it's definitely better than the original, Ultimate still has its share of problems. It's only been out for a few weeks, but character balance is still an issue, though not quite as much, and people are still throwing hissy fits over the lack of MegaMan for some reason. But if you're looking for a much better online mode, Ultimate is for you, and you should pick it up. For anyone else who didn't get into MvC3 or is new to the Versus line, you really need to rent this game, as describing how it plays will only do so much.

I'll talk about the gameplay first for the newcomers. You select three characters for your team to fight against others. Each character is given a unique assist move that you can use during battle. You'll need to use assists with some strategy if you want to really get good at the game, but if you're playing this game for casual fun, you can spam them like there's no tomorrow and still get something out of it. Every character's moves are different- some can shoot fireballs, others can counter physical attacks, some provide barriers, etc. Fighting is a lot faster than something like Street Fighter, and being patient and waiting for the right moment to strike is not a good way to play UMvC3. Sometimes a character will be killed as soon as they're in a combo. No joke- you can bring someone new out, only to have them get launched up into the air and beaten into oblivion before doing anything, only to have your next character come out. The moves in this game are light attack, medium attack, heavy attack and the special launcher move, similar to the Dust attack from the Guilty Gear series. It's the move that throws your opponent in the air, allowing you to go nuts with combos and team attacks. The other buttons call out your other team members to use their assist attacks, and holding the assist buttons down switch out to the selected character. Everyone has unique Super attacks too, like the Ultras in Street Fighter 4, and if you have enough meter, you can break out your whole team to use all of their Super moves at once, usually dealing massive damage. The game's crazy, and if you haven't seen any gameplay videos, you need to in order to get just how nuts it is. Plain and simple- it's not for everyone, and I even get frustrated with the game a lot, but that's mostly because I'm still relatively new to tag team-based fighting games (Guilty Gear X2 Accent Core Plus, The Last Blade 2, Street Fighter 3: Third Strike and Capcom vs SNK 2 are what I'm used to).

Alright, for those who played the original, how much did this new version fix, and how much did it mess things up? Well, hardcore fighting game fans will already know most of this, as the majority of the changes had to do with fixing moves and balancing characters out...well, most of them. Characters that barely got used in the original, like Hsien-Ko and MODOK, aren't much better here, and it's painful to see them still getting pulverized. Others that were stupidly overpowered and practically button masher-friendly (ie- Wolverine) got toned down, but are still very good. And then there's Wesker. Oh Mr. Alberto Del Wesker...what were they thinking? Look, I'm not whining about this by any means, but taking one of the top 5 characters in regular MvC3 and making him even better makes you wonder what goes on at Capcom behind closed doors. Now, he has a mini-X Factor. You'll notice that Wesker's glasses take damage during the fight, going from semi-damaged, to badly damaged, to destroyed. Each of these phases adds to his power, and if he has level 3 X Factor without his glasses, all hell breaks loose. The only thing to make it somewhat fair is that when Wesker is tagged or snapped out, his glasses are back on when he comes back in. But the fact remains, he's overpowered, and there better be a patch coming out soon to fix this. Enough people threw a fit over Sentinel in MvC3 to the point where his health was severely cut down, so there's gotta be a chance for this to be fixed too. Dark Phoenix is still a threat as well, but her health was taken down a bit to give players more of a chance.

Now for the new characters- most of them rock. Sadly, so many people are upset that x character from MvC2 wasn't put in (you'll always hear about Venom, Gambit, MegaMan and Cable) and are against the new characters for no good reason, but these guys are so much better than I expected, that I might have a team consisting of just new dudes. Hawkeye is VERY good and probably the best zoning character in the game. Firebrand has some great tools at his disposal, you just have to spend some time learning how and went to use them. Rocket Raccoon and Strider have very low health but some incredibly fast and useful moves to make up for it...I could go on about everyone. And it seems like we'll be getting 6 more new characters through DLC somewhere down the road, as there are 3 extra spaces on the character selection screen (filled up with Marvel and Capcom logos) next to the other DLC characters Shuma and Jill. Here's hoping that we get a couple of ladies and maybe Bishop.

Aside from Arcade mode, there are a few extra ways to play, the main one being Online. Trust me- it got a big makeover and you no longer have to go back to the main menu when you can't find a game. Remember how stupid that was? Everything is much easier, you can watch matches in progress instead of just seeing two profiles thrusting at eachother, and I've noticed a lot less slowdown too. The old Mission mode is back, giving you a little schooling in some basic and advanced combos for every character. This mode is a must if you want to get decent at the game, and even when you do pass a stage, you'll want to do it over and over until it's effortless. There will also be a special mode to download soon that lets your characters equip special abilities for fun. This is its own gameplay mode and doesn't work its way into Ranked Online or anything. Do you want to be able to parry like in Third Strike? You'll be able to! Do you want a team with 3 of the same character? That'll be possible! Do you want to be invisible, confusing both your opponent and yourself? I don't know why you'd want to, but sure, you can do that too! This will no doubt be fun and be a nice break from regular online play.

I really do love how much they improved the game, but with the character imbalance issues being nearly as bad as Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition [pre-2012 patch], that's the only thing holding it back from being 5 stars overall. Again, if you're new to the game, rent it first. If you played MvC3 before and are still on the fence about getting this one, you might as well since it's at a great price and has a lot more features. Now get out there, rip your shirt off, and start hitting people with dat pipe!
on December 30, 2011
I bought Marvel VS Capcom 3 when it first came out. And then not long afterwards I saw this game Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 available for pre-order. My first reaction is "WHAT?!?!?!" So it upset me, but because I'm a fanboy, I decided to get this game as well and sell the original Marvel VS Capcom 3. Playing this game I'm glad there are a lot of new additional character but I thought DLC (downloadable) charaters; Jill and Shuma Gorath will come for free. And I was wrong. So my final verdict: This game is still fun but in a way its also upsetting because of how Capcom (the maker of this game) rip us off. Lucky for people who didn't bought the original game and buying this game instead.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2012
Those of you who have read my previous reviews know the drill by now. No visual review here since you're reading a blind guy's review. Yes, I own a PS3 and enjoy fighting games like this since you're just sidescrolling.

One of the things I've always liked about capcom's character rosters is that the friendly disembodied voice always tells you who you're picking. And in the case of UMvsC3, if I don't wish to play as a particular caracter, I can cancel the choice with the circle button. But I've pretty much got the roster memorized. Still, nice feature. I doubt they had blind folks in mind when they design games like this, but it certainly helps me out.

I only wish they would have added more marvel characters. Still waiting for them to add Carnage to one of their games. I'd would have liked to see Onslaught make a comeback. And why didn't they put Silver Surfer in this game? Spider-Man never really gets any villains from his comic series. All we got in MVC 1 and 2 was Venom, but I would have liked to see Green Goblin or Hobgoblin in this one. Steve Blum voiced Wolverine so he would have been perfect.

I loved the addition of Nemesis to the roster. Resident Evil has always captivated me and I just love all the BWs from that series. I would have liked to have seen Wesker use his tentacles since this was his RE5 incarnation. And they could have given Jill a few more moves showing off the various weapons she uses. Chris pretty much stole the spotlight from her this time around.

Here's hoping they make another MVC game some day. But next time, I hope they just put one edition out. I was lucky enough to be unable to aford the regular edition. So it was nice to spend my 40something bucks on the next edition. Hope they don't make a UMVC Turbo edition or something ridiculous later on.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Even though it hasn't been that long since Capcom released Marvel VS Capcom 3, here we are already with Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3; an update that gives us a handful of new fighters, new modes, and a more balanced fighting engine to boot. Essentially what Super Street Fighter IV is to Street Fighter IV, UMvC3 throws in some additional fighters like Ghost Rider, Phoenix Wright, Frank West, Nemesis, Doctor Strange, Nova, and more besides (plus the two downloadable content characters, Shuma Gorath and Jill Valentine). There's also the ability to play as Galactus in Arcade mode, some new special moves, backgrounds, and extras. The real star here besides the new fighter additions is that there have been some slight revamps to the fighting engine. Things just feel and play more balanced than they did the last time around (i.e., no more getting slaughtered everytime Phoenix turns into "Dark" Phoenix), even though the option between "Simple" and "Normal" controls still feels overly cheap. All in all, Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 is as much of a blast as it was the last time around, but whether or not its worth laying down the cash for is entirely up to you in the end.
on December 15, 2011
I've played quite a few fighting games and this is the very definition of "easy to play, hard to master". There's a simple mode which you can button mash and pull off combos. Normal mode isn't that bad ether as long as you don't button mash, just switch up the button combination and you'll link up moves. Despite the intro friendly gameplay, as I said before, there is more to it then that. Hardcore fans of this game will quickly show you (Online or off if you know anybody). Characters are awesome and the graphics looks great. As long as you didn't own the first MVC3, this is a good buy.
on December 31, 2012
Not really the "ultimate" version as I thought it would be when I waited to purchase it.

Turns out there's still plenty of DLC to be purchased, even if you held off buying the original MVC3 in hopes that this Ultimate version would contain everything.

Capcom says "Ha ha! Sorry!" to those hopes. Alternate costumes for every character, even two more characters to add to the roster! Jill Valentine and Shuma-Gorath, whose spots in the lineup are locked in the top two corners of the character select screen, like there's a way for you to unlock them in game, but no, they're purchase-only.

Yes, I'm a little bitter. But I rated the game 3 stars simply because if you ignore all of that, the actual game is very deep, well designed and looks gorgeous.

In addition to your typical offline vs. CPU mode and online PVP modes, you also get Heroes Vs. Heralds mode, offline and online. You get a ton of in-game collectible items and points, urging you to keep playing and see what else you can unlock if you just do one more battle.

There's also a set of 10 "Missions" for each character, which serve as training to teach you how to perform combos with the characters. Be warned, these training missions have a steep learning curve!

Overall, good game, I'm glad I bought it, but I'm a little disappointed with their definition of "Ultimate".
on March 2, 2014
Being a fan of the Vs. series from Capcom this purchase was a no brainer. I waited until the last moment though. Literally picked up the DLC the night before it was taken down and then bought this. So was it worth it? I'd say it was but not everyone seems to agree. They weren't able to include all the fans requests( X, cyclops, and some others of course) but the game itself feels right I think. I had a blast unlocking all the endings and even though I'd get my butt handed to me by the pros it didn't stop me from feeling like I had skill to contend with. I'd say there is a character for everybody in this game skill wise. If you haven't played this yet then you definitely should. It improves over the previous and even without the DLC there's still a lot to experience here. In fact, I'd say the DLC is for extreme fans of either Capcom or Marvel (face it your money went to both).
on September 15, 2013
This game is fun, when you have lots of people to play it with. The selection of characters is great. I feel that the game is very unbalanced though, Vergil and Zero are practically unstoppable whereas certain characters are practically useless and are put in the game to add variety.

As for the packaging, the game came on time, in good condition and as expected. The box that it came in was just the right size.
on February 19, 2014
Fun game. Fast paced fighting unlike most fighting games and has a great selection of characters. The only thing this game lacks in is modes considering the previous game had about the same amount and there not really all that fun. I would definetly buy another umvc if of course capcom makes it good.
on February 19, 2015
Before I write anything about the this game, I did like previous entries better than this game. xmen children of the atom,marvel super heroes,xmen vs street fighter,marvel super heroes vs street fighter,marvel vs capcom, marvel vs capcom 2 and Tsunoko vs capcom-was a great one,more unique characters.

The good
I believe 10 new characters. High price just for an expansion when it first came out 40 bucks should be only 20 or at least go as low as 30.(but no one anyone asked for besides phoenix wright/vergil/hiryu)
Nemesis(biohazard 3), Hawkeye(avengers), Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, red devil(ghouls n ghost), Rocket Raccoon(marvel s way back work), Strider Hiryu, Iron Fist, Nova, and Phoenix wright.

New mode-addicting card mode

some old rosters have new moves

plenty of characters

character theme music survives

can turn each capcom characters englidh or jpnese voice when beat arcade mode just once.

The bad
The combat is aggressive and messy.(the game very broken,where even push block become useless to unbreakable pro constant offense)
Infinite assist summon as long he alive and pro players know how to use assist to cover to openings in there offense to point where you have no chance to make a counter offensive without using the one time burst red mode. Infinite combos are too common. Chip damage is too high,giant unavoidable laser powers are too common,large characters or characters with limited maneuvers(Tron bonne/hulk/haggar/thor etc) cant avoid strong zoning and have no chance against characters like dr.doom.-being chipped to death. Meter can be built without even having to clean hit the opponent. At least ultra street fighter 4 has defensive,precise and way more well rounded combat this.-rewarding patience and good defense.
The older air combo games had better structure than this one. mvc2 was loose ruled too,but at least had the characters to back it up.

No balance in the roster, most low tiers have no chance against high tier characters.
Forcing you to use high tiers in even skilled matches. You can use your characters but if there low tier prepare be killed by high tier a majority of time online. Example-Doom vs nemesis-nemesis is easily out maneuvered by fliers with strong zoning or just strong zoning. Some characters cant even deal with magneto s disrupter spam.

They didnt try give characters people wanted.
Roster consist characters no asked besides strider hiryu, phoenix wright, dante, vergil- people wanted venom,mega man would of been better than many of the ones that no one wanted. Resident evil characters are not for the true fan base of biohazard.-representative are all biohazard 5 versions which biohazard 5 isnt considered a true survival/horror biohazard game.(Jill looks so far off her better version,shes a brainwashed ninja now for some odd reason.) Im pretty sure no one wanted red devil from ghouls n ghost. Hayato has only been in one game why no return? Rubyheart had a interesting move set as well. Jin s robot would had amazing visual treat, seeing a fully rendered blodia robot. Ryu from breathe of fire 3-one of capcoms best rpg character.-seeing him turn into kaiser dragon from 3 would been great. Characters from warzard. So much wasted potential. I could go on but you get point. Most marvel characters are just cause they had a movie.

Did forget they how to do great 2d fighters like history has proven.
(see Warzard,darkstalkers,Street fighter Third strike,Alien vs Predator,dungeons and dragons,mega man 8 are capcoms 2d treasures)The 3d nice looking but not why older fans love there games, old fans appreciated the hard work on great 2d sprite animation like jins, captain commando, mega man s and venoms in the 1st mvc. Its like they forgot that one of the things made them great is beautiful 2d works. 2d has made great strides if you look at dragons crown-highly regarded rpg beat em up,dengeki bunko fighting climax and under night in birth fighters-sprties are very detailed. Even guilty gear xrd does better job of retaining its trademark look.-kept the fans in mind.

Had better voice actors in previous air combo games.
Captain America sounds like hes chewing gum everytime he talks. Storm just sounded better in previous games. Steve blum a good wolverine but cannot replace the orignal better voice over. Listen to dr doom in marvel super heroes when hes says "now you face doom." sound alot better. Magneto past actor is better as well. Marvel used top class talent for the voice actors.-xmen animated series(the one with the revered opening) had masters at there voicce over careers. Now its seems marvel doesnt really care.

Must pay for jill and shuma gorath if havent preorder the 1st game of this that has dlc code. You would think they should be free since your paying 40 bucks for an expansion when this first expansion hit the shelf.

Not that much replay value outside of training, online/offline versus 2 modes-card mode(forgot name),arcade

Horrible records which to be expected.-the new low standards capcom lives by now.

Galactus was straight forward and easy, a disappointment really compared to mvc2 last boss which even had more creativity and its my most hated design,Third strikes gill, mvc1 onslaught and tsunoko okami last boss are plenty better/giving a strong fight.

conclusion
Didnt listen to fans at all when making this game. No semblance of any balance-overwhelm or be overwhelmed sums the gameplay perfectly. 2d is dead in capcom which is what was appreciated and respected from their past. Capcom is a shadow of its former self. Get tsunoko vs capcom instead you can feel former capcom s glory in that game.-mega man legends is in that one at least as well, roll isnt a joke character their, someone from onimusha and a actual school rivals rep, better direction in super combo design.-not straight forward as mvc3,real thought went into tsunoko s super combos. Sorry i like games that actually try to put structure in there games and not just a chaotic party game like this is or just for combo pros. Even Smash bros has more precision depth in it.