4.0 out of 5 stars UMK Impresses, but lacks in some areas.
Published on November 13, 2007 by Brok Bunnell

3.0 out of 5 stars My son really likes it, but...
My son was really into Mortal Combat and wanted this game. We got it and he loves it but thinks its a little too hard. We delved a little deeper and read a lot of reviews where players said the same thing - it's too hard.
Published 14 months ago by P. Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars UMK Impresses, but lacks in some areas., November 13, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ultimate Mortal Kombat (Video Game)
Mortal Kombat is a game that we all know and love, and have been doing so for over ten years. This franchise is one of, if not the most successful fighting series of all time. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 had revolutionized the series in a huge way. It's by far the most popular title out of the series. It's been in many arcades around the globe, has been ported many many times (including this game).

After the last dreaded UMK Port on a Nintendo Handheld(Mortal Kombat Advance), it is hard for us to hold true to any MK game realeased to a Nintendo Handheld console. Especially a game of the same strucutre as this one. But we just have to break through the mold and try this one out, and I am pretty sure you will be impressed with what you experience!

From the very beginning of loading UMK you will notice the game asking you to create a profile, which is an extremely useful feature, especially if you have alot of MK fans in your house like me. After this you will be able to choose to play UMK or Puzzle Kombat. You can also edit your options by pressing the "y" button on the main menu.

WHEN CHOOSING UMK OR PUZZLE KOMBAT FROM THE MAIN MENU: You will be transferred to a very simple title screen which shows "single player" "Local Wireless" "Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection" and "UMK3 Records" From there on out you can play the arcade version of the game, go online with a local buddy, or play worldwide against people of your rank or just random players. You can also just check your current stats from a single player standpoint and a Multiplayer standpoint.

The Pros of UMK:

+Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3-If this were any other "Classic MK game" ported to the DS such as MK1 OR MK2 I probably wouldn't have bought it.

+Wi-Fi Capabilities-of course this would have to be a pro! What is better than playing a complete stranger in one of the most grusome fighting games ever invented?

+Records/Leader Boards-I think this is a great Idea. I love the fact that UMK allows you to create a profile to keep track of your progress whether it is online or in single player mode.

+Puzzle Kombat-I beleive puzzle Kombat gave the game its little extra "kick." It is a very fun addition to an already great game.

+Special Moves shown on screen-I thought it was a brilliant Idea to show the Special Moves plus the Fatalities, Animalities etc. on one of the screens. It really helps alot!

+Unlockables-Not only do you get to unlock extra characters but you also get unlock different items and stories for the characters. I think that is a pretty neat feature.

The Cons Of UMK:

-Difficulty of game: Personally I do not remember UMK being this tough. I could barely beat the game on Novice Mode and I found that very disturbing. It really got bad after awhile and I gave up.

-Online Connect lags: The online connection does lag quite a bit, and I noticed it in quite a few of my online matches. I thought it was just me at first, but I played it over wirless hotspot, I found out that it was the game itself.

-Many Bugs: Even though this is an almost perfect port, it still has many bugs to work out. There is this strange flash sometimes on the screen when it needs to switch to another location. Also when you fight shao Kahn at the end of single player there is barely enough time between the first and second rounds to re-cooperate for the next battle.

-Not enough time to do Fatalities: You seriously have once and only one try to do a fatality. They give you about 3 seconds before your opponent falls to the ground.

-Controls: The controls are very nice, but sometimes they are not responsive. Sometimes you jump straight in the air when you want to flip, which is extremely repetitive by the way. And this also allows you to not do fatalities properly alot of the times.

OVERALL RATINGS:

PRESENTATION OF GAME: B-
GRAPHICS OF GAME: B
SOUND OF GAME: C
GAMEPLAY OF GAME: C+
LASTING APPEAL OF GAME: B+

OVERALL SCORE = B. 4/5 STARS.

Like I said before this is a great port of a great classic game! It is so much better than the Mortal Kombat Advance port, and is the first attempt at a MK game on the DS. I really look foward to what Midway is going to bring to the table with MK in the future!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Mortal Kombat..........., November 16, 2007
blackaciddevil (in the USA somewhere.....) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ultimate Mortal Kombat (Video Game)
Considering I came into MK with Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, you can imagine how happy I was to hear that it was picked to be the first MK game on the Nintendo DS. Sure, Mortal Kombat Trilogy would've been loads better but I learned my Kombat skill with 'Ultimate'. After the atrocious Mortal Kombat Advance, I almost gave up hope on any 2-D Mortal Kombat game on a handheld. Thankfully, Midway & Other Ocean came to save the day with Ultimate Mortal Kombat.

My verdict? Well, I can certainly say it's a proper 2-D Mortal Kombat. This game doesn't suffer from the bugs(if you want to call it that) that Mortal Kombat Advance did. The speed and gameplay are almost arcade perfect. To make things even better, they threw in Puzzle Kombat (which most of you will recognize as the puzzle game included in Mortal Kombat Deception) as well as making it possible to play both games on the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection.

The bottom screen, if you're looking for any new innovation on how to play the game, is only used to show a moves list for your character(which is a pretty smart thing if you're not a MK vet) and to play Puzzle Kombat with your stylus...which is a bit of a downer, I know.

Mortal Kombat fans will love this trip down memory lane,I know I did, & Mortal Kombat Noobs will definitely get a history lesson.

3.0 out of 5 stars My son really likes it, but..., January 31, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like I remember, April 10, 2014
This review is from: Ultimate Mortal Kombat (Video Game)
the ultimate mortal kombat i used to play in the arcades. Awesome then, awesome now classic mortal kombat. Went to gamestop trying to find this, bought it used and it actually ended up being more expensive than buying it brand new on here! shipped quick as well. Amazon really came through on this one. recommend to all those who are looking for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, January 17, 2014
This review is from: Ultimate Mortal Kombat (Video Game)
The game deserve to be rating with 5 stars, mi son loved this game just like his daddy and cousin.

5.0 out of 5 stars video game, January 10, 2014
This review is from: Ultimate Mortal Kombat (Video Game)
this video game for nintendo ds is my most favorite video game of all time awesome amazing cool and totally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mortal Kombat, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Mortal Kombat (Video Game)
Ultimate Mortal Kombat, It is a Great game and a classic. Loved this game on Nintendo years ago, now it is on the DSi and can be played anywhere. .....FATALITY !!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I LIKE IT, October 22, 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Mortal Kombat (Video Game)
I LIKE THE FACT THAT I RECEIVE MY GAME SO FAST AND IT WAS NOT DAMAGE. MY SON WILL BE SO HAPPY WITH THIS GAME.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the grandson ordered...., October 2, 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Mortal Kombat (Video Game)
shipping was great....item as described....grandson absolutely loved it....great graphics...Would highly recommend to anyone that enjoyed mortal kombat video game and movies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic MK on the go, September 2, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ultimate Mortal Kombat (Video Game)
UMK DS is probably the MK game I play the most. I have always loved the way classic MK games play because of the fast running and combos I have come to love. Its basically UMK3 in all its arcade glory only on a smaller device. If you were never any good at these games, well its safe to say nothing will change because its just as hard as it was. After playing many times, eventually you will have a favorite character that you know all his/her moves and combos(mine is Shang Tsung)

Overall, if you have played the MK3/UMK3 classic, then you know what to expect from this as its the same thing. It also has a nice little mini game of puzzle kombat, which is a good little distraction, but in the end you will spend the majority of time trying to beat Motaro and Shao Kahn in UMK3. I just wish they also ported MKII because that one is my favorite.

ARRAY(0xa3581798)

Ultimate Mortal Kombat
Ultimate Mortal Kombat by Midway Entertainment (Nintendo DS)
$29.99 $14.25