Format: Paperback|Change

on June 26, 2013
I dont know what I was expecting, but this was an OK read. I first pages are all about history of obstacle races, the next are about the different types of races, with a few tips in there about how to train.

meh.
on December 26, 2012
This year I completed 10 obstacle course races (OCRs). I am pretty comfortable with what to expect, but I have my weaknesses. I decided to read this book on a whim, in hopes that it would have some helpful tips.

This book breaks down all the important parts about racing - what to wear, what to expect on race day, how to train for success - it's all there! Having experienced some of the races described, I can tell you everything is covered.

I really read this book from cover to cover and fully intend to use the training tips! Pick this book up and do the same if you have any interest in racing. The price is right and it is jam packed with useful information!
on May 31, 2013
I have yet to complete an obstacle race or even a 5k, but this book was pretty informative. I really enjoyed the way, it gave detailed work outs to be better prepared for the races, and even how to make home made training obstacles.
on January 16, 2013
Eh, I thought it would be more in depth with some training. Talked a lot about the different races but that could have been summed up with "hey check out this website". I was really looking for different training methods and this book didn't deliver.
on June 12, 2014
This is the second book in my series of OCR book reviews, Titled “Ultimate Obstacle Race Training” by Brett Stewart. As usual I asked myself “Who is Brett Stewart?” then I remembered, as his name sounded familiar. He is the guy behind the hopefully soon to be on TV reality show OCR Warrior & Mudrunguide.com. A quick internet search also shows he is a certified personal trainer, a running & triathlon coach as well as an endurance & OCR athlete. So naturally I will review this book under A fine microscope, especially since the word “Ultimate” is used.

~ Brett, you had me at “We send people into death…” Engaging the reader in a “How-to” book is a difficult task to start, maintaining that engagement through out the book is applaudable!

This book was well written & the author knows how to paint a figurative picture well. I found the material to be very informative and written in a way that an absolute novice could easily understand while managing not to bore a veteran. The gear guide was spot on but could use an update as much has changed since this book was published. Which brings me to my only real complaint. The event descriptions are a bit dated but, what would you expect. So many companies have opened and closed, the only way to really keep that up to date is online. Which he does @ [...] – If you don’t remember that address by the end book you did not read it. Im not sure if the web address was over used through out the book or I just notice stuff like that. After about the 4th time, I thought man this guy really wants me to remember his web address. Well, I couldn’t forget it now lol.

The obstacle descriptions and how to master them are great for those who have never seen them. I just wish there was some insight to the spear throw included… With plenty of detailed photos and thorough explanations, one could easily train for their 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th race with this book. Beyond that the training included is not going to, temper steel. Overall, good beginner work outs.

Is it the “Ultimate” training guide? No but, its a pretty damn good one if you ask me. I think a volume 2 is in order, which may very well take that title with ease. I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who is considering, running an OCR for the first time.

on January 11, 2013
Ultimate Obstace Race training covers all levels of expertise, from the Novice to the Experienced. I liked how it appealed to all levels.
In the last 4 months I completed 2 obstacle course races (Devil Dash & Tough Mudder so far) Not knowing exactly what to expect from each race, as they are both very different, I wish I had seen this book before I completed the races. There are some very helpful tips, from what to wear, what to expect and how to train for each race.
I have read the book twice and intend to use the training tips! I gain new Knowledge every time I read it. There were even races that I knew nothing about and now want to do. My 15 year old even picked it up and is preparing to use it for when she can participate in the Obstacle Course Racing.. She is now getting her own copy, I want mine back. I can see this book getting lots of use. Thanks to Brett Stewart for taking the time to put together such an awesome book.
on January 15, 2013
Brett Stewart has put together an easy to read guide on the history and thinking behind this growing hobby/sport.Obstacle Course Racing. This is a book for the first timer or the next race guy(such as myself). Running local and Traveling to these events. I am starting my third and most challenging year and still have yet to scratch the surface of this weekend workout. Since I am about to be 42..I better get to digging(this book helps). The guides on rope and wall climbing(my weakest areas)are helpful. There are plenty of other well described training techniques in here to really get you ready and primed for whatever obstacle you may encounter. Your first obstacle to getting ready after signing up ..This Book.. good luck,have fun and here is mud in your eye..which will be the best part!! See you on the course!!
on May 1, 2013
Depending on your knowledge of obstacle course racing, this is a good informative book. Gives some background and different races that are out there. I bought it mainly for the training, where he breaks down different obstacles and the best ways to train for and beat them.
on April 18, 2015
A busy book that has plenty of information relating to OCR. It covers the basics and summarises the various races currently on offer. It even provides you with DYI obstacles. If you are new to this sport or are looking at participating in a race this book will help you out. specific to the USA market.
on January 11, 2013
This book contains A LOT of helpful information if you are training or curious at all about obstacle racing. Goes very in depth on training and has pictures which help out quite a bit. Very good book to help out with training!