5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book for any novice home owner.
"The Ultimate Guide to Home Improvement", is an outstanding general reference, and will imbue any novice or intermediately skilled DIYer with a general understanding of, how and why, virtually any home repair or home improvement project is to be executed.

Published on January 1, 2009 by GS

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a good book. Here are some others.
Published on March 18, 2008 by GAT

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a good book. Here are some others., March 18, 2008
This review is from: Ultimate Guide to Home Repair & Improvement (Ultimate Guide To... (Creative Homeowner)) (Hardcover)
This is a good book, but not very detailed. However, no one book can cover all the intricacies of home improvement and construction. So it's best to try to look at the book you're thinking of buying before you purchase it. Try a bookstore or library or home improvement store, if possible. I have purchased the following books that are available at Amazon and found them to be very helpful to me:

Ultimate Guide to Home Repair & Improvement (Ultimate Guide);

Do It Yourself Home Improvement: Step by Step Guide to Home Improvement;

New Complete Guide to Home Repair & Improvement (Better Homes & Gardens);

Encyclopedia of Home Maintenance & Repair (Wm. P. Spence) - This is a black & white book, but has very good explanations, especially of electrical.

Popular Mechanics When Duct Tape Just Isn't Enough: Quick Fixes for Everyday Disasters (Popular Mechanics) - This is kind of a "Hints from Heloise" for the home fix'r up'r.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book for any novice home owner., January 1, 2009

My wife surprised me with this book for Christmas. I already own the "Home Depot: 1-2-3 Home Improvement" book, which I like. However, the Ultimate Guide is much better and covers a wider range of topics from: Home Emergencies, Wiring, Dry Wall, to Decks and Patios.

I disagree with the other reviewers for knocking this book for being too general. It is an excellent general reference, and of course, does not cover every topic in complete detail. Readers needing or wanting more detail on a particular topic will be best served by procuring an additional book covering the specifics of the project they are undertaking, i.e. for details on plumbing projects, get a book that deals specifically with plumbing.

I highly recommend this book, it makes a great gift and a fine addition to any beginning or moderately experienced Do It Yourself weekend warrior's library.

PROS:
1. Covers the whys, and not just the how to.

2. Up to date and fully illustrated, covering the complete gamut of home improvement and repair topics.

4. Many excellent tips and tricks, e.g. 'To kill bacteria buildup in and under the toilet bowel rim, pour a bleach solution directly into the toilet tank overflow tube.'

5. In addition to the standard TOC, it also has a Table of Projects so you can quickly look things up by project i.e. Insulation: Insulating Existing Walls.

6. Includes a Glossary and List of Resources & Suppliers for the various projects

CONS:
1. Only general topic coverage, no one topic is fully covered in depth

1. A some what weak index

2. Virtually no mention of US Building codes, though oddly there is a section devoted specifically to Canadian Building Codes, go figure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our homeowner's Bible, January 7, 2008
K. Schneider (Cleveland, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
Take a geniune interest in home improvement, add a basic understanding of projects and then this book - the result is many more finished projects around the house.

Easy to understand, thorough, and great marriage of text and photo. Since purchasing, my husband and I have plumbed in a new kitchen and laundry room, replaced our knob-and-tube wiring with updated wiring and numerous other improvements to our 120-year-old house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what a great book, March 23, 2010
Well worth having. The Creative Homeowner editors did a great job compiling the contents of this book, complete with step-by-step instructions on most every project through the intermediate skill level. In other words, for every room in the house, this book will get you through the standard remodeling and repair projects with flying colors. They even point to outside and online resources for further reference and details if needed. The same company also publishes another great book to have, the Black & Decker Complete Home Improvement: with 300 Projects and 2,000 Photos (Black & Decker Complete Photo Guide). Between the two, you're stocked, locked, and ready to work. They also make great gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for 1st time homeowner, November 16, 2009
After checking out this book at a local chain bookstore, I was convinced that this is a perfect basic home repair book for a first time homeowner. A vast range of topics are covered, there are many full color pictures for explanation, and the layout is easily read. When I sent this to my brother as a housewarming gift he was very excited and told me it was exactly what he needed! The fact that I didn't pay full cover price and got free shipping (this is a heavy book) was icing on the cake. A great deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like an Advanced How-to IKEA DO-it-Yourself EVERYTHING!, May 24, 2014
I also own:

1) Home Depot: Home improvement 1-2-3 3rd Edition
2) For Pros By Pros: Wiring a House by Cauldwell
3) Home Depot Wiring 1-2-3
4) Black and Decker: The Complete Guide to Wiring 5th Edition for 2011-2013

My Personal Impression about:
Creative Home Owner Home Repair and Improvement

I saw this book at OSH (Orchid Supply Hardware) and was just impressed by this book.
In a Nutshell, this book covers everything I learned from the 5 books in my collection and more.
I didn't buy from OSH because the book was full price at $30 and here on Amazon was $21. I also had a Amazon Giftcard so this book was practically FREE!
However the Wiring Guides by Cauldwell and Black & Decker were more comprehensive and detailed with schematics when it came to Wiring.

The real main thing I wanted was a book that was real in depth with trim work, cabinets, shelving and storage. As well as all the possible combination of screws, nails, fittings, and hinges that could work. You would think that a book of carpentry would be preferred, but this book beats it by the mile. Teaches you how to build things with various carpentry joints, dowel reinforcement, and building shelving from scratch.

Final Thoughts:
-This is like the Master Guide Upgrade from the Home Depot Home improvement. For $21, this Book is a Steal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking forward to my next project., March 10, 2014
Richard Piazza (ARLINGTON, MASSACHUSETTS, US) - See all my reviews
This book must have saved me $1,000's.
Very easy to follow accurate instructions and the amazing helpful photo helped rebuild my master suite bath.
Don't leave you computer without buying this.
It is a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, February 12, 2014
Got this for my Hubby, and myself, who are not very handy around the house. We are looking at a couple project to do and this book has shown us that they are not as bad as we thought they would be. AND that we can do it by ourselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Home Repair Book!!!, September 9, 2013
Bought this to help with some small jobs around the house and it has been a big help. Easy to read and plenty of pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, June 2, 2013
This was a gift to my son-in-law. He was taking on tasks in the home he and my daughter purchased. He's the kind of guy who will research before starting a project. They both raved about the helpfullness of this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›