Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Ultimate Science Fiction Collection: Volume Two (30+ Books)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 11, 2011
It's hard to complain about a $2 electronic book that gives you over 30 novels/stories in it. There's got to be something for every sci-fi fan in a collection like that. I personally bought it for the Skylark series.

Which brings me to why I only gave the collection 3 stars (actually, I'd like to give 3.5, but that is not an option offered by Amazon).

I have had the entire Skylark series and the Lensman series since I first started reading for enjoyment ... some 40 years ago. I still have all the paperback volumes. But I'm older now and it's much easier for me to use my computer and the Kindle for PCs which Amazon was so kind to give me to read my favorite authors. I was sorely disappointed to find that in all my searching only the first two novels from the Skylark series are available on Kindle. I can't find SL of Valeron or SL DeQuesne in any of the collections or as a seperate purchase. And the same is true of the excellent Lensman series. This is very disappointing to me. True, I still have the paperbacks, but would like the electronic versions now.

In an anthology such as this, with so many titles included; it eludes me as to why the publishers cannot include the complete series. Yes, perhaps it is a question of royalties and such, but writer Smith is no longer with us and some of his work is available (all of it in paperback). It puzzles me.

Well, that is the case with this book. That's my beef. Now, for the casual reader who likes science fiction from the golden years. This electronic book is an incredible value. For less than the price of one of today's paperbacks, you get over 30 novels from some of the older names. Truly the material (technical aspects) is dated and sometimes the story is a little campy. But the writings are very enjoyable.

While I'm hoping for a Kindle release of a complete collections version, this is a good temporary solution and would recommend this to anyone who enjoys science fiction. Great enjoyment that won't empty your wallet.

~P~
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2010
There are some great oldies in here, especially by E.E Doc Smith. My only gripe is that at least SOME of them are abridged versions.
on August 29, 2011
The stories are clearly dated, as I've read quite a few that either dealt directly with or had the backdrop of the arms race between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. and the political systems represented by the two at the time. The stories themselves are bare and simple (character development at times take a backseat) and slowly guide the reader into the their worlds, lending themselves to be easily understood and followed.

This is contrasted with more modern Scifi short stories that tend to throw the reader abruptly into the story and piled on layers of complexity in order to achieve a multidimensional depth. Perhaps with the ages, the scifi aficionados have evolved such that they desire such nuances even from a short story. For folks that like to get back to basics, or for lazy Sundays when you want to lay back and take it easy, these old stories from a simpler time make an enjoyable read.
on March 5, 2012
The book is a collection of full length novels and a few short stories. The authors are from the early period of epic science fiction....some of the science may seem a little outdated and some of the dates mentioned may have already passed, but the stories and character interactions are excellent. I have been a fan of E. E. Smith for a long time and the price was worth it just for his Skylark novels included here. If you are not so anal that a misplaced comma makes you cry, and you like stories well told, this will be an excellent reading experience.
on March 27, 2012
Literature is somewhat dated but is still enjoyable reading at a better than bargain price. Unfortunately, I can't find an index and explanation so that I could be a little better informed as to content.
on January 22, 2012
Wow, lots to read, and some real classics in here at a bargain price. I like to read vintage science fiction and there are many here that I had not previously read. A great resource and wonderful on the Kindle.
on September 26, 2012
This collection contains quite a few oldies from the pre-golden age of science fiction. Lots of cigarette smoking, women objectifying, juvenile machismo and some cold war propagandizing thrown in. That said, it takes a person of my age (60) back to when these behaviors and activities were the norm and makes one appreciate the improvements that the sexual revolution, feminism and health consciousness have made to our lives. It is also amusing how spot on some of the predictions of the future are and how totally far off the beam others are as seen from the vantage point of the "future"! Since no one in 1979 had ever heard of a personal computer (they really "came out" in 1980)these stories from twenty, thirty and more years previous to that seldom conceive of the advances we have made in electronics and nano tech. I recommend buying this collection, especially at this price, as a history lesson for younger sci-fi buffs and a "we've come a lot further than even some great thinkers could have imagined" for those who were sci-fi buffs in our now distant youths.
on September 9, 2009
Three great writers from the Golden Age of SF H. Beam Piper, Mack Reynolds, and E.E. Smith

List of books in Ultimate Science Fiction Volume 2
Subspace Survivors
Triplanetary
The Vortex Blaster
on November 21, 2012
I saw some old friends in this collection, books I haven't seen in years. There are some that are way out of date technology and science fact wise and were difficult to take seriously, but, this collection is a great "filler" while I wait for the lastest and greatest books to be published. Good value here.
on January 22, 2012
An oldie but a goody. Looking to read some of the older sci-fi check out this collection. A good price for so many.