5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm
I bought this and several other fire starting devises to test them out for emergencies. Overall I have to say the product works great and is very well constructed. It has earned a place in one of my emergency kits.

Pros:
* Good solid construction.
* Quality flint and thick enough to last a very long time.
* The safety orange is very visible...
Published on February 21, 2009 by Aaron Frankel

3.0 out of 5 stars The Old vs New Models of Strike Force: Beware
Published on May 28, 2011 by Wolf3x6

3.0 out of 5 stars The Old vs New Models of Strike Force: Beware, May 28, 2011
This review is from: Ultimate Survival Technologies StrikeForce Fire Starter (Sports)
Ultimate Survival Technologies for years has been the standard for true survivalists. The Strike Force was recommended by Dave Canterbury on the show Dual Survival and many others have chosen this model due to few parts that could break when you need it. The Blast Match is smaller and easier to use but it does have a very small striker and if it ever broke you would have a rough time making fire with it unless of course you had a knife with you, to use as a striker. That being said the days of quality versus price are gone. Recently UST replaced the rod on the Strike Force with a smaller and thinner rod. The shorter length makes it much more difficult to strike and also cuts down on the volume of sparks that once made these tools so wonderful. A quick glance at the Strike Force, while in the package, gives away what they have done. The bubble packaging area that is cut out for the rod to lay now extends about a half inch past where the rod actually sits. This extra space in the package is a direct correlation to what you used to get when you bought a Strike Force. I have had a Strike Force and a Blast Match for years and recently misplaced the SF. When I went to buy another one I immediately noticed I had been tricked and ripped off tremendously. I later found the Strike Force and compared them. Sure enough we got screwed. Not too long back they did the same thing with the Blast Match but due to the manner it works it was not possible to shorten the rod as significant as the strike force but it was shortened some as well as replaced with a smaller diameter rod. I really wish they would offer a full length Strike Force even if it cost a few dollars more. Perhaps offer 2 versions and for those that wanted to save a couple dollars let them have a shorter rod but those that use the device and dont mind paying for a quality tool - offer that for a few dollars more. I dont mean to insult UST but now that the rod is shortened I honestly would recommend buying one of the Coghlan Flint Striker firestarters for about $4 in any camping store. The diameter is smaller (but not by much) and the rod is not only the same material, it is much longer than the Strike Force's flint rod. And due to the fact that your knife or striker will contact roughly the same surface area on a large rod versus a small rod, the length is much more important. I urge you all to email UST and tell them what you think. Until then.. my advise is shop elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, February 21, 2009

Pros:
* Good solid construction.
* Quality flint and thick enough to last a very long time.
* The safety orange is very visible.
* The bottom compartment is perfect for the storage of the chemical fire media that comes with the tool. There is even room for a few waterproof matches.
* The chemical fire starting media that comes with the tool is a nice touch.
* The lariat ensures that you will not loose the striker/cap.

Cons:
* The lariat could stand to be 2" - 3" longer. The short lariat makes striking with the cap a little awkward. I found undoing the lariat from the top loop of the tool and only attaching it to the base loop to alleviate most of the awkwardness. However, I plan to remove the lariat that comes with it all together and replace it with a length of Paracord that is a little longer to completely alleviate the awkwardness.
* The tool is heavier and bulkier than expected. However, I don't see that either the bulk or the weight could be alleviated and retain the quality of the product.
* The compartment in the base is NOT water tight.

Something to note. Pine needles do not ignite well using this tool. I tried for 20 minutes and could not for the life of me get them to go up. Fine very dry grasses work best. Dry grass was quick to ignite every time; typically 3 -5 strikes. This is also true of the fibrous material found at the base of a Palm Tree Leaf's Stalk (I am sure there is a name for this stuff, but I could not find it).

Remember to keep twigs and firewood ready to throw on as soon as you get the fire started.

I did not get a chance to play with the chemical fire media so I can not say much about it other than it comes in the base compartment in a well sealed water tight package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great backup, January 25, 2009
I bought this product for emergencies. Its obviously a lot easier to start fires with a regular lighter, but if you lose yours or it gets wet, you could be up a creek. This flint will work even when wet and the "wetfire" cube stored in the base will burn WHILE SITTING IN WATER! So you should definitely be able to start a (possibly lifesaving) fire under adverse conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a Charm. A must for your survival kit or bug-out bag., October 18, 2009
I recently bought one after seeing one in action. It will light dry tinder, like dry straw, in a single strike. I used it during a recent canoe/camping trip and tried out the wetfire tinder that comes with this product. It was late after canoeing 20 miles in the rain and the striker did get wet. It lit first try and got my birtch bark going. This allowed me to dry out all of my soaked kindling and have a fire for cooking and drying out my clothes. If you have a survival kit get this for the ability to start fires wet or dry.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE firesteel to own, July 28, 2011
The StrikeForce Fire Starter is a firesteel I heartily recommend. I've been using mine for about ten (10) years now and there is plenty of life left in it. The StrikeForce came with a couple of fire starter cubes. Instead of replacing them after they were used, I simply took a couple of cotton balls and rubbed some petroleum jelly into them (not too much, mind, or it will be messy and can be difficult to ignite. If you squeeze the cotton ball and it drips petroleum jelly, you've used too much.) There are many other tinders you can use, manmade and natural.

The enclosed striker is excellent. I've never had any problems with it, it's simple and it works. I use the bottom quarter of the firesteel when striking so that I don't wear the rod out by wallowing out the upper third using full length strikes. (Think, sharpening a pencil. That's the image I'm trying to convey.) The only time I use the strike the rod full length is when I am signalling.

Before you go out into the wild or suffer an urban emergency, you absolutely need to learn to use the StrikeForce properly in all conditions and situations. There are plenty of YouTube videos on using a firesteel. I can't recommend them highly enough. Even though the concept is simple - scrape rod with striker and make sparks, it's the other stuff you need to learn: such as how to identify tinder, natural and manmade, how to hold it and aim it so the sparks go where you want them to go (on the tinder!). Also, you need to learn how to use it in the rain, when it's windy, when it's freezing, snowing, etc. before you get into trouble.

I learn best when watching others, so I recommend you watch some videos on YouTube. YouTube is an excellent resource for learning all about emergency fire starting. Search for "StrikeForce fire starter" or "bushcraft"or "fire steel" or "ferrocerium rod" or "ferro rod" or "misch metal" or "mischmetal" or "metal match". LOL, I know it will seem overdone, but these real life lifesavers have been tagged with many names. Want some more search terms? Okay, you can also search for "Swedish fire starter", "Swedish fire steel" or "Swedish firesteel".

There's probably a lot more search terms for the StrikeForce, but these will more than do. In them you will learn the correct technique for using this invaluable tool. Please, take time to watch at least a couple of videos and practice, practice, practice the techniques in all conditions (wet, wind, dry, etc.) before you get out there, get in trouble, and your life hangs on the balance.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding!, September 8, 2009
As a boy scout parent I have collected different types of matchless fire starters. This one is far and away our favorite fire starter. It is nothing more than a very durable flint and steel, but the length of the flint is just right for creating ample sparks. We've had the little boy scout style fire starters and they do work, but are small and harder to handle. We've had the common magnesium fire starter, which you strike with a steel knife. That also works, but your knife gets a bit abused. And then we've tried Blastmatches, and several other varieties. But this one beats them all in ease of use and ,er, sparkability. The only disadvantage is weight. It isn't light. We carry the little boy scout style (like Emergency Fire Starter from Amazon) in our backpacking emergency kits, but the Strike Force is what we take when weight is not an issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect addition to my outdoors gear., May 20, 2011
The Strike Force fire starter is what was missing from my outdoors kit. I live in Alaska, and even on what are intended to be short hikes I carry basic survival gear. I always had, of course, matches and lighters. But matches can get wet, blow out or break and lighters can run out of fluid or break. Both matches and lighters also require manual dexterity to use, and when your hands are freezing that can be difficult. When it comes to something as life saving as fire, I wanted something that I could fall back on that wouldn't break and could be handled with cold hands. The Strike Force is what I opted for and it works extremely well. When I run the striker against the rod, a shower of hot sparks rains down on my tinder. My very first attempt resulted in a fire. The trick is selecting good tinder, and that day I used "old man's beard" - the mossy strands that are easily found in spruce trees in the woods. There are also many man made tinders that will take sparks well. Basically I feel more confident that in an unexpected bivouac or survival situation that this item will make me that much more likely to start a fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING PRODUCT!!!, January 20, 2011
If you are looking for something that you can trust to be a great firestarter, then you found it! Strike Force is a very nice product with very durable and practicle design. I own the Light My Fire firesteel(scout model), the Sparkie, the Blastmatch, and the Strike Force. The Strike Force is easily my favorite amoung all four. People complain about its weight, but it's still extremely light even if little weight in your pack is essential. People say it's to big, but the thing fits right into your pocket with ease and the size provides a nice gripping surface. People say the cord that connects it all together is to short, but it gives my hands plenty of room to work with (and I have pretty big hands). The plastic is very thick. The design makes it easy to open but, it won't open in your pocket because you have to move the bead across the cord to allow it to slide apart. Most importantly, sparks. If you can't get a fire started with this thing, then you can't get one started with some gasoline and a blow torch. EXTREMELY EASY TO LIGHT DRY TINDER(cotton balls, wetfire, birchbark, char cloth, dry grasses, dry leaves, etc.) Overall, buy it if you want a great product that will last many years. Plan on atleast 15 years of occasional camp usage. 10 years of heavier usage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Fire Starter Out There, July 22, 2010
These are the best fire starters ive ever had, I own some steel and flint and some of the mag and flint. I practice all the time with all of them and you should also. StrikeForce is the best and takes the least amount of time. Someone on here said they are too big, there about the size of a med. sized automatic pistol mag which isnt that bulky when your use to packing around loaded pistol and AK-47 magazines. I suggest taking the cord off and changing it out with some 550 paracord, make it long enough to wear around your neck.

I bought one many years ago, friend of mine at work fell in love with so i let him keep it. Yesterday the mail lady dropped me off three new ones, gave one away last night so im gonna have to order me up another batch here soon. In survival situations you need to have 3 to 4 layers of protection and any more is better. Lighter, matches, StikeForce, flint and a pocket knife, mag block & flint.... and practice them all in all conditions to stay sharp. Having one of these is a must in a bugout kit. My good friend has a one handed push button model, not that great. Buy both to see which one works best.

5.0 out of 5 stars StrikeForce Review, December 13, 2009
The StrikeForce IS THE BEST fire steel that I have used. This thing is EXCELLENT! I am going to buy a few more just to have for later use and to give out as gifts!

I highly suggest buying this if you are considering a fire steel! Well worth the money and could easily save your life!

Ultimate Survival Technologies StrikeForce Fire Starter (Orange)
$23.95 $19.99