Does anybody know if the DAO Ultimate Edition will require internet connection for bonus content?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2010 11:58:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2010 1:38:09 PM PDT
I love Dragon Age and I have about 1/2 of the bonus content but I often have to logout / login to the DA Forum several times before I can load a save game.

It would be worth it to me to get the entire DA1 series if I could play it without having to authenticate to the DA Portal every time I play.

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 5:05:34 PM PDT
M. MacMahon says:
Last I read on the Bioware forum the DLC still requires authorization, yes, which is amazingly stupid. Maybe that changed before release though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 7:38:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2010 7:39:12 AM PDT
Ok thanks for the information.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 4:28:00 PM PDT
Edwin Zhang says:
Actually, I've been able to play the game just fine with no internet connection, after downloading and authorizing various DLC packs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2010 11:25:23 AM PDT
<<"Actually, I've been able to play the game just fine with no internet connection, after downloading and authorizing various DLC packs.">>

Edwin,

Really? How did you manage that? I have the DA CE DVD and I have purchased, DL-ed and activated 2 other DLC packs. The latest patch helped the problem but I still occasionally have to manually login to the DA forum before I can load a save game. Is there a game setting or manual config file setting that I can activate to allow myself to "play offline"?

I appreciate any guidance you can offer. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 10:47:30 AM PDT
It SHOULD save your permissions on your hard drive, so you have to login to the account, but not actually be online. I just now turned off my modem and double-checked, entered my game just fine.

So, all you can do is make sure your firewall(s) aren't blocking the game so that you can get an initial connection (the servers ARE there, really it should say "The EA servers are not available at this time" instead of "No Longer") and authorize your content.

As for why this works this way, I do agree with DRM sucking. I do NOT condone software piracy, but mostly DRM schemes just inconvenience a hacker for 5 minutes tops, then they have broken it. They inconvenience legit users in ways like this forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2010 1:11:38 PM PST
@Ragabash Moon,

Ok thank you very much for the tip. I will give that a try this weekend.

Posted on May 9, 2011 8:11:14 AM PDT
L.S. says:
Yes, you only need log in once for the dlc to register. After which, you NEVER have to log in again. It will ask you, but just bypass that screen and you will be able to play the game just fine. Only need to log in again if you want to upload your achievements to your social.bioware account, then you may log out again. No need to stay online while you play.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 1:59:11 PM PST
Kid Icarus says:
and since nobody cares about other people's acheivements I see no reason to log online at all however, thanks for clearing that up, hope DA2 doesn't require "Re" authentication. nobody actually "likes" that, just tollerates it. And I do not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 5:06:37 PM PST
DA2 requires an initial check to verify the street date hasn't been broken, other than that you should be able to play it offline same as DAO as long as your DLC gets registered to your account properly.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 12:05:42 PM PST
James T. says:
I hope this helps.

First off - I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition for PC off the retail DVD disc version...not the digital download version. The DVD edition is already patched to 1.04. All you have to do is install both discs (it automatically installs ALL the bonus content) and then patch it to 1.05. Patch 1.05 unlocks ALL the bonus content. You DO NOT have to be connected to the internet to activate or authenticate anything, nor do you have to go through the hassle of creating an EA account. You can also forget about using the enclosed "downloadable bonus content code." Patch 1.05 gets rid of all of these annoyances.

Once installed and patched, all it takes to play is a simple disc check and your on your way.

Great game. No hassles. No lies. Try it and see. If you're having trouble installing or running the game...it's either a bad disc, your computer, graphics card(s) or...YOU.

I'm playing it flawlessly (with access to all bonus content) with all settings maxed out on a 25" wide-screen 1080p monitor at 1920 x 1080. My Rig is an Alienware Aurora - AMD 2.2Ghz Quad-Core Phenom - 4Gig Ram - Dual 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphics Cards using Crossfire for 1Gig of V-RAM total. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64bit.

Have fun!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Oct 21, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition - PC
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition - PC by Electronic Arts (Windows Vista / XP)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (416)