I have very poor vision. I also live in an area where power can go off at night.

So, I wanted an alarm clock that:
1)Tells the time by talking to me,
and
2)Is battery powered.

This fits the bill nicely. I've had this one since the early 90's, & it's never failed me.

Oh, by the way: it does not use up the batteries fast...
Published on October 10, 2006 by The Mystic Eye Of The Hipster

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Design of a Great Idea
Published on November 13, 2009 by Curt Raven

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hipster Spies With His Little Eye Something That Begins With--Best alarm clock ever., October 10, 2006
The Mystic Eye Of The Hipster (Murfreesboro, TN United States) - See all my reviews

So, I wanted an alarm clock that:
1)Tells the time by talking to me,
and
2)Is battery powered.

Oh, by the way: it does not use up the batteries fast. They last a good long time.

I give this item my Thumbs Up of approval.

5.0 out of 5 stars Large Tap and Talk button, January 3, 2007
Sharon P. Perkins (Cincinnati, Oh USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Curve Talking Clock (Health and Beauty)
Received this for my dad. Although he is legally blind he is able to see shadows. He has enough mental acuity to know he has to focus to see the large button and Tap it for the time. Occasionally he will tap one the setting (smaller) mode buttons. Therefore, the clock will need to be EASILY RESET to get it out of the mode that he accidently set it. Great clock, Large Tap and Talk button. Great talking clock for the visually impaired person that also has the mental acuity and physical agility to use alarm and other features easily. Clear, loud female voice. NOTE: Would love it better if talking clocks could be made in deep male voice because as we loose our hearing the higher pitch sounds fade first.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Design of a Great Idea, November 13, 2009
This review is from: Curve Talking Clock (Health and Beauty)
The concept is great, but the design of this item is poor. The button which "tells" the time is right next to three small buttons which change settings. Is it any wonder that my 96 year old mother keeps accidentally turning on the alarm when she is feeling around for the large "time" button? What idiot couldn't figure out that people with limited vision are going to be putting their fingers right there where the "settings" buttons are, and constantly changing them by accident? The instructions which came with the clock are abbreviated and inaccurate, which is unfortunate because of the constant need to put the clock back the way she wants it. If you are dealing with someone who can see somewhat, this is acceptable, but if the user has very limited vision and relies heavily on touch, this product is a nuisance because of the constant need to "fix" it when the settings get accidentally changed. (Wonderful experience to have her awakened at two in the morining wondering why a rooster is crowing!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Inexpensive Solution, December 24, 2007
This review is from: Curve Talking Clock (Health and Beauty)
My mother has macular degeneration and is hard of hearing. The mechanical-sounding female voice on this little plastic talking clock took some getting used to. For example, it was hard for Mom to hear the difference between "thirty" and "fifty". She had to use her hearing aid to get the gist. However, now that she is familiar with the sound, she can use the clock without her hearing aid. The clock is small and light, so she can hold it right next to her ear with no problem. The big button is great. I ordered a larger, louder, clearer-sounding clock for next to her bed. But she likes this talking clock just as much. In fact, she carries it around the house, putting it on the breakfast table, next to the TV, etc. throughout the day to keep track of the time. I'll probably order another one as a back up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Talking clock, June 1, 2007
This review is from: Curve Talking Clock (Health and Beauty)
My blind father is a resident of the Minnesota Veterans Home and someone at the home purchased the Curve Talking Clock for him quite some time ago - several years at least. Because he is blind and this is kept in his nightstand it gets a lot of knock around abuse. It has been very reliable but we purchased him a new one at his request.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Blind, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Curve Talking Clock (Health and Beauty)
The curve talking clock is easy to handle and easy to use. It is particularly useful for the blind who cannot use a braille clock or watch. Unfortunately, the clock is not waterproof, and when some water spilled on it, it ceased to function and could not be repaired. We then had to purchase a new one. Waterproofing the talking clock would be a big asset.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it today..., March 22, 2011
For someone who is basically blind as a bat without glasses, a talking clock is a big thing to have early in the morning when there is somewhere you need to be.

I've been using American Tourister for years, and have gone though three of them since 2007, they just stop working it seems for no particular reason.

As far as I can see, this all boils down to 'squeezing' or 'hitting.' This clock has a large button that can be hit without putting on glasses, and announces the time clearly. The American Tourister had to be squeezed to hear the time, and was constantly being lost while I was in bed, making me wake up to find it.

So far so good with this one, it looks bigger in the picture, but is only 4"wide which makes it the perfect size to keep in bed with me right in front of my box that holds all of my remote control's...I give it 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Hit, January 18, 2007
Kindle Customer "Dick" (Pittsburgh the home of CMU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Curve Talking Clock (Health and Beauty)
I purchased this clock for a elderly visually impaired woman to give to another elderly woman who is totally blind. They were both thrilled with the clarity of the voice and ease of use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good purchase, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Curve Talking Clock (Health and Beauty)
Display broke within a week. There is no "lock out" feature so when someone blind is trying to hit the button for time it is easy to bump the other buttons and change the settings.

1.0 out of 5 stars voice is unintelligible, May 27, 2013
This review is from: Curve Talking Clock (Health and Beauty)
bought this clock for my blind mother. She cannot understand the female voice...even at maximum volume it is too low AND it is garbled and hard to understand even if it were louder. I can barely understand it myself and my hearing is fine. I will be returning the clock.

Curve Talking Clock