Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on May 19, 2008
Allows a simple way to save electricity without the pain and wear&tear of inserting and removing devices all the time.

I bought this as a result of user responses to a post on my blog for a power strip with individual switches. This appears to be the only such device in the USA (for domestic use). It works as advertised, but I wish the outlets were further apart as I use it for various battery chargers in my garage and I had to also buy those little extender cables to fit the chargers into adjacent sockets.

Given how many surge supressors the likes of Belkin seem to produce, you'd think that they would be looking for Unique Selling Points, and individual switches AND big gaps between the outlets would be one in my view. Until someone listens to me, this is the best available.
on February 24, 2008
I looked high and low for a surge protector that had individual switches. I first discovered this Ultra item from the shack, but now their site says 'no longer available". Then I saw another company proadvanage had listed them but my order was never sent out and I had to cancel it. Then a relief that Amazon had them in stock. Thank you Amazon! Wow this puppy is hard to find. If you want individual switches this is pretty much the only choice on the market, there are no other manufactures that I know of that offer this type of product. And with that said, its kinda pricey. I would never think to pay that much for an outlet strip. But they got me sold. I ordered a few of them from Amazon and got in like a week - now I have them through out the house and garage. Now I can turn the stuff off I do not use instead of unplugging it all the time. PROS: unique product that works well to save electricity and prolong life of electronics- CONS: hard to find the item or similar ones, and quite pricey. Get one or more while you can!
on September 29, 2007
This is a great product for saving electricity making it possible for our species to inhabit this planet for a good long time. Basically, almost anything electronic that is plugged into your wall is drawing power 24/7 even if it is turned off. Ever wonder why your cell phone charger feels hot all the time? Same reason Ben Franklin had frizzy hair for a while - electricity. The average computer uses about 15 watts of power constantly while turned off. Your TV, Stereo, DVD player... the list is endless. You know those big fat "adapters" running your PC speakers, modem, printer, scanner and router? They're all burning energy even if the appliance is off. $20 is a small price to pay for the ability to turn off - REALLY TURN OFF - each of your PC peripherals or home theatre components.

Great Product - cheapest around. Buy 4.
on April 13, 2011
Apart from just generally being much smarter to have a switch for each appliance so you don't have to unplug and all your stuff is always "ready to go", the genius bonus here is that one socket is not controlled by either an individual switch or the master switch (which turns off all the others). This mean I can leave my freezer plugged in, secure in the knowledge that it cannot be accidentally turned off.
on July 29, 2011
I bought this to control my guitar amplifier, guitar effects, and the rests of my musical gear that's connected to it. I now have total control of what needs to be 'on' and what not, thanks to the individual power switches. Before that, I was using one of those regular cheap-white $7 surge that either turns everything on or off, so I had to unplug certain devices, except for the guitar amp because it has an on/off power button. My effects processor does not have a power on/off switch so I'd have to manually plug it in every time I play, and unplug it when I stop. Now I have EVERYTHING plugged in to the Ultra and powered individually; and also with the 'main' master power button -- one flick for ON or OFF! Convenience as hell if you'd asked me.

Aside from the conveniences, I am glad that the Ultra surge protector was able to cut off power individually for unused devices to conserve energy. The plugs are spaced apart just enough to accompany bigger transformer adapters and still manages to provide adequate space for adjacent AC plugs -- so long as you don't have TWO big block transformers back to back you are fine. In addition to the six individually powered outlets, there is a seventh 'unswitched' or Always ON outlet -- which I use for my electronic LED alarm clock radio, so when the surge is off, I'd still have the clock running!
There's also some 'rack-mountable' professional units out there that are similar but selling for hundreds more (like the Fuhrman), but at this price the Ultra is exactly what I was looking for, and it did the job!
on February 22, 2014
I still believe in and use surge protectors but realize they don't protect from all damages. Who truly knows how many surges and lighting storms it protects you from till it stops protecting. I wish they all had a uniform indicator light showing green when they are still working correctly that goes off and turns red when they have been compromised. In a perfect world I suppose but to have to replace electrical equipment when you assume a surge protector is working is hard to swallow.
on June 12, 2011
This power strip is pretty cool. 6 of the plugs have individual switches. 1 is unswitched (or just on the main switch). I like it a lot so far.

Note: with 7 total switches it is a little bright in a movie room. I moved a little table to cover the red glow.
on July 29, 2011
Individually switched power supplies are amazingly difficult to find. This one is fine - no problems. I like it a lot. However, I also chose this one because it is described as "white" and, in fact, the picture on the box is white, but the actual product is grey. Its not even close to white. Very irritating!
on August 19, 2009
I put this on my home theater setup. I don't often use the surround sound, the wii or the slingbox, and I wanted a way to completely turn them off. I hooked it all up and then put a Kill a Watt on the plug to measure it.

Everything turned on costs me 41 cents a day. Turning everything off through the power strip except the cable box and the TV cuts the cost to 26 cents a day.

Works great.
on February 1, 2009
I am using this switched strip to control external PC devices that I don't want on all the time (external hard drives; cooling fans; etc.) and it is doing a great job. There is one plug (which I didn't realize it when I ordered this strip) that is not switched and is always on - so, keep that in mind when ordering - you will actually have 6 switched plugs and one always on.