Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Beyonce Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 351-375 of 523 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:08:46 PM PST
It works now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 3:22:53 PM PST
The Kurtster says:
What an ignorant statement. iTunes doesn't sell because it's "trendy". It sells because their ecosystem works, their UIs are easy-to-use and there is consistency among hardware. No digital file formats are up to Blu-ray standards yet. They will be but they currently aren't equivalent yet.

I had to choose a video format for my digital collection many years ago. I chose iTunes because it worked with all of my hardware, Mac and Windows. Now that I've invested in it and can rip my own content, I would hardly call the ecosystem I'm using "trendy". It's 100% functional.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 4:43:01 PM PST
PJS says:
I think that if you buy the movie, that ripping it and formatting it to use on your other devices IS fair use allowed under copyright law and not illegal as long as you don't provide copies of it to others that havn't purchased it-if they don't provide a reasonable way themselves. It is personal use of a non money making venture to allow you to watch it on the personal device that you choose. The video game nonesense....it's just that...nonesense. I'm all for ripping your own copies of content that you paid for to watch as you see fit until these big companies quit being so greedy and get a damn clue. Thank you very much.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:30:45 PM PST
P.Shepard: Actually, you're right. That is technically legal, but what is illegal is to crack the DRM, which is where they get you.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 1:09:42 PM PST
Dennis H says:
This Ultra Violet + Digital copy is a total lie. I received two movies with this offer, one is Sony and the other Universal. I cannot figure out the Sony version (it has now locked me out and says my redeem code is no good). The Universal version displays the iTunes logo but Ultra Violet keeps wanting me to download "one more program". I don't want to download multiple programs and down loaders and unknown ".exe" programs in an effort to make this work. The Bourne Legacy movie had a physical disc for Blue Ray, one for DVD and I expected a code to download the digital copy from someone like iTune's. The Ultra Violet (VIOLENT?) POS was something I was not familiar with and the more I learn about it makes it worse! I was hoping to have the digital version to play on my iPad during flights where the 'streaming' capabilities of Ultra Violet are useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 3:29:29 PM PST
Mike Ingram says:
Once you are more familiar with it you will understand you can download it to your ipad also....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:17:20 PM PST
Just me says:
It's not "tethered", you can download the movie to any device compatible with it

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 8:17:30 PM PST
Just me says:
It's not "tethered", you can download the movie to any device compatible with it

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 9:19:50 PM PST
Dave says:
Agreed. People just don't know how to use it properly and don't want to take time to learn. Lazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 9:29:12 PM PST
The Kurtster says:
I'm not lazy. I know how it works, it just freaking blows. I don't want a UV account (which I had to make for Harry Potter). I don't want a Sony Home Video UV account which I had to make for Lawrence of Arabia in addition to my existing UV account. I don't want ANY new accounts, yet now I have to create all these new accounts because some marketing genius decided they could change digital copy formats.

I didn't ask for UV. I don't want UV. Things were working just fine before this garbage came along.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 9:54:43 PM PST
sandawana56 says:
Interesting to be called "lazy" for refusing to have corporations shove garbage you don't want down your throat. Many thanks corporate sheeple for clarifying that our ability to think for ourselves classifies us as "lazy". All this time I imagined that I was an informed consumer who clearly understood what did and what "did not" appeal to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 9:10:15 AM PST
Terry Moore says:
Sounds like they learned a trick from Apple's playbook!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 8:26:57 AM PST
Actually, ripping your own DVD from a store-bought disc IS illegal. It's the having of the actual copy that is not. The process by which you "rip" the DVD requires software to bypass the encryption. That is the illegal part. The end result is perfectly fine, unless sold or whatever, as you mentioned. It's an issue where the technology and legality aren't on the same page. Stupid, but true. So to end up with a legal copy, you need to illegally make it happen. Make sense?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:05:21 PM PST
J. Longest says:
why would I need itunes when I can watch my uv copy on my ps3 ,pc, xbox android phone/tablet and iPhone without it? uv allows you to stream or download. if you're going to an area without Wi-Fi then download before hand.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 11:36:18 PM PST
BlakeL says:
After everyone complained... NOW, they allow you to download!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:55:01 AM PST
The Kurtster says:
Clearly for you, iTunes isn't going to work. What about those who have invested thousands in iTunes media and hardware in the years it's been available before UV? Are they supposed to abandon their in-home iTunes server and all their iTunes content? They've already invested in a system that works for them and existed before UV so why should they have to change anything?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:10:06 AM PST
The Kurtster says:
Name three people who have gone to jail for ripping their own DVD purchases without redistributing them in any way.
I don't think there is any cause for alarm.
http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/blog/fair-use/victory-fair-use-and-fair-users-dmca-exemptions

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:13:30 AM PST
J. Longest says:
itunes one platform. uv many platforms

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 12:46:02 PM PST
BlakeL says:
I have a question. Back in the beginning of "digital copies", I had a PC. On that PC, I had iTunes and, of course, Windows Media Player. So, I would take the disc and the code to the PC and make the choice iTunes or Windows Media Player. The file is downloaded and I could put that file on other devices.

Yesterday, I received a new movie, Get the Gringo or maybe The Grey, I believe it gave me 4 options, including UV, iTunes, vudu, and Windows Media Player. The question is: If I have an android device, can that android device play a file that is downloaded as a Windows Media Player file?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 2:11:17 PM PST
BlakeL: Here are your options: UV allows you to use either Vudu or Flixster to watch movies on your Android. The only problem is Flixster is limited in their movie selection and Vudu, as of right now, is only available on a few select number of Android devices. Neither iTunes nor WMP will play on Android.

This has been the unfortunate consequence of the movie studios choosing such a closed system like iTunes for so long. You have to be invested in their ecosystem to be able to benefit from it. Own Android? Too bad for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:12:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 5:13:53 PM PST
The Kurtster says:
iTunes media can play on several hardware platforms and three major OSs. Windows PCs , Macs, Apple TV, iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and iPad Mini. I have five of those playback platforms. I have 2 Apple TVs, 1 iPad, 1 iPhone, 1 Mac Pro iTunes server, 1 Windows PC, my wife's Macbook Pro and her iPhone. ALL of these play iTunes content flawlessly. I have close to $1000 in media purchased from that platform and it plays on everything I own. I don't care if UV plays on Mars, I don't need it and I don't want it. I've invested in a working system. I don't want a UV account. I don't want a Sony Pictures UV account. Why should the only option for my bonus digital file change from what it used to be to something I didn't ask for?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:16:55 PM PST
The Kurtster says:
The movie studios chose iTunes because it was the only serious game in town when there was no UV and there was no Android.

Why aren't you complaining to Google if the content you want isn't available for your Android devices? Don't they have a store? Why can't they just offer a Google code and an iTunes code and be done with it instead of creating this ridiculous UV scheme?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 10:37:48 PM PST
BlakeL says:
Robert, Thanks for the information. I invested in the Apple ecosystem much like "The Kurtster" and I'm actually pretty happy with it. I was just curious as to how Android devices "fit" into the equation. I do have an old Android phone, but when I am consuming content I generally use PC or Apple device.

Initially, I thought of this debate as occurring on two fronts.

The first front, I believe, consisted of those people preferring streaming to downloading or downloading to streaming. This seems pretty straightforward and I personally prefer downloading and having the ability to do with the file whatever I will(within the confines of the system as imposed by the powers that be). For me, the system was working well. I was not disappointed until the change from the simple "digital copy" to the "UV digital copy" that was really NOT really digital copy fiasco of this Harry Potter disk purchase. I travel abroad often and streaming just doesn't work for me.

The second front, I believed to be an equally dichotomous Apple versus PC type of debate. But from what you have explained, it seems that the issue is more complex. In fact, it appears to be more an Apple versus PC versus Android versus "the content providers" sort of battle happening (if that makes any sense). My feeling here is that I don't want to be forced to give up the system that has really worked flawlessly for me over the last several years. My initial UV experience (Harry Potter) was so infuriating, I refused to buy ANY content that had "UV/Flixster" marketing. The initial roll out of UV was, quite frankly, "horrible" and they REALLY gave you no options. They FORCED you into their ecosystem.

These days, I am happy to see that they are providing the consumer with the choice to do UV or iTunes or whatever one or the other. Personally, I prefer the iTunes ecosystem. I like getting the code, going to a site I have confidence in, downloading the movie, and then, putting it on the devices that I want. Frankly, this SHOULD be possible for all device owners, Apple, Android, Windows/PC, etc.

Regards

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 8:56:47 AM PST
J. Longest says:
when you activate a uv code you usually do so through vudu. doing so through vudu gives you vudu access and flixster access. flixster is the app you use on android andthe ios. vudu is what you use on a computer or ps3/xbox or even a standalone vudu device. You can download or stream. however you still have to use vudu or flixster to watch your downloaded copy. that is no different than using wmp or itunes. except now I'm not locked to one and I can watch my film on nearly any device. the only complainersare confused people and butt hurt itunes users.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 10:05:15 AM PST
BlakeL says:
Why do you talk like this?? I was just trying to get some information and contribute to the discussion....
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  189
Total posts:  523
Initial post:  Oct 14, 2011
Latest post:  26 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions