5.0 out of 5 stars Handlebar mount on a Motorcycle

3.0 out of 5 stars Screw knob came off on first use
Published on March 28, 2009 by C. Stoneham

5.0 out of 5 stars Handlebar mount on a Motorcycle, November 12, 2011
Length:: 0:59 Mins

I bought this to use on my beloved 30 year old Suzuki GS1000G motorcycle. I knew it would be a tough environment due to vibration, so I tried a couple different locations and angles. The video with this review was the best of the locations I tried initially- I'm still experimenting. This one has the camera, a Sanyo Full HD VPC-FH1, on the left handlebar with the camera as high as it could go. The other location I tried on top of the Vetter cycle sound box gave a better view, but it was too jumpy. Viewed in a lower resolution it may not have been so bad. The video was shot in 32 degree weather and the maximum speed was 65 MPH at the end of the video.

The mount was very easy to use. It has rubberized mounting surfaces to help with grip and vibration. The fixed surface has a notch in it to help with mounting on round objects like handlebars. It seemed very secure in my evaluation. There are two axis adjustments- a knurled knob that allows you to pivot the arm 360 degrees, and then a tri-arm knob that controls the fore-aft placement of the arm as well as the ball that holds the camera stud, which is the standard 1/4-20. The knurled knob on the ball does not spin independent of the ball, so you have to leave the tri-knob loose until your camera is secured. Overall, this gives a great range of movement. I tried many locations on my bike, but most of the handlebar mounts were too low for my application.

I would rate this as a good value for the money, and it would likely work well in a majority of applications.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than expected, October 18, 2010
I use this for my rig with a Canon 5d MKII and a Zoom h4n. I have an L bracket attached to my camera then I attached this to the L bracket. The build quality is a lot better then expected. I was filming helicopter flight operations on a ship out in the ocean. This piece of gear held up to my expectations. While I intended on purchasing it to hold the Zoom audio recorder and microphones, I ended up trusting it with my 5D MKII, hanging off one of the rails on the ship as we took a sharp turn at full speed.

While shooting on the flight deck, I was directly underneath a CH-46 helicopter as it was coming in for a landing. Anyone who has been there or seen the footage, knows that there is a lot of thrust that blows off the rotors. My camera with a 70-200mm 2.8 lens mounted on a tripod, ended up snapping the bolt that mounts to the camera from the base plate. But this thing held strong.

If you want a cheap piece of gear to hold some audio equipment, or want to use this to get interesting shots, I wouldn't even think twice.

Jason

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultra Clamp - Does what its intended to do very well, June 9, 2007
I got the Ultraclamp to mount a small digital camcorder on the frame of my motorcycle to shoot some scenic ride videos. (NOT crazy tricks). The clamp is very sturdy and holds quite well to the frame. It has a multitude of mounting configurations and angle adjustments.

Overall I am very happy with it and it is built quite well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera-mount clamp is freaking AMAZING, August 19, 2010
This is a great product.

It is made out of high-quality strong impregnated plastic and the clamp part is metal with rubber covers where it actually clamps on. This can clamp anything from a glass car door window to wooden or metal fence post or slat. The clamp part comes off so you can use just the top portion screwed onto any 1/4 x20 stud ore even a small tri/bi-pod.

I've used this on both my bicycle and motorcycle. It clamps securely to a frame member, handlebar and even a brake master cylinder reservoir. It seems pretty darn solid and I've never had an issue with it falling off. Still, I loop the camera strap through a mini carabiner as a back-up. That's why cameras have a strap in the first place -as a back-up.

The top portion is very adjustable and the two ball-joints give almost infinite adjustability. Once the setting thumb screw is tightened down it is SOLID.

I've heard a few complaints that the screw is easily stripped. Come on folks, you don't need to tighten this thing down like a GORILLA. People tend to seriously over-tighten fasteners of all types. This is made out of a strong high-impact plastic but it is still plastic. It tightens down very securely but if you bear down on it like a GORILLA you are going to strip it. You can strip any fastener -even a metal one by over-tightening. It's only a 1/4 x 20 screw in there that is molded to a plastic thumb handle. If you strip this out then you are OVER-TIGHTENING it folks.

The fact that it comes apart makes it not only more handy with more options to work with other gear but it fits into a smaller bag when it is in 2 parts. This is how I carry mine. The thumb wheels make it fast and easy to put back together or adjust.

I can't say enough good things about this product.

Cons:

None, unless you are an oafish GORILLA who over-tightens things to the point that they break. 300 ft-lbs will strip just about anything out.

5.0 out of 5 stars This clamp is beast mode, February 4, 2012
I use this to mount off-camera flashes and occasionally cameras to anything I need for combat photography. It's a good sized clamp--about the size of an average man's hand--and made with quality materials. I trust this thing so much, I've used it with my $500 flashes on life rails of Coast Guard cutters in heavy seas, clamped on inside a submarine during a dive (anyone who has experienced that can tell you how violent that can be), outside a speeding humvee in a sandstorm (we weren't shot at, so I don't know if it can withstand bullets). I even had this thing out in front of a Navy LCAC cabin holding a Nikon D700 for a photo of a boat pilot. This might come off as some commercial, and trust me, I wish it was so I could start getting these for free, but hopefully you'll get the fact that these clamps get the seal of approval from one military photograper.

If there was a complaint, like other reviewers have already said, the threads on the screw will rust if you don't take care of it. I've found if you wipe it clean after every job and oil it, it stays strong for a long time. I wish I knew that earlier because I blew through my first few before I finally figured it out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Screw knob came off on first use, March 28, 2009
The idea behind this clamp is brilliant. Unfortunately, the design misses on a key point: the knob used to tighten and loosen the clamp may be subjected to a lot of force. I clamped mine down pretty tight on a railing to be sure my camera was secure. When I came back to unclamp it, the knob simply twisted off. Upon closer inspection, the knob has threads in the center that screw onto the same threaded piece that holds the clamping foot pad. With very little force, it simply unscrewed itself since the foot had enough pressure to stay stationary. It took quite a bit of effort to get the the clamp off in the end because the knob would simply not stay on for me to unscrew. Perhaps there was some kind of glue and I just got a bad one. Not sure, but it has definitely rendered it useless for the moment. Perhaps some SuperGlue might work...

It is also worth nothing that this retailer has marked this up over twice what the MSRP is. Check B&H Photo or REI for a more reasonable price.

EDIT: After the discussion with Raleighphile, I'm putting a few stars back. The clamp really is a decent device, but I think the decision of not adding a thread locking agent to nut in the clamp is a potential design flaw. If you're dealing with a surface that is not slick, be sure to pay extra close attention to how hard you tighten it down. If you're cognizant of the limitations (or add threadlock like I did), it really is a decent little gadget to have, but loses two stars for forcing me to do what the manufacturer should have done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and one of a kind!, May 15, 2008
I used this clamp to suspend a microphone from the crossbars of a jeep. Its unique joints allow you to swivel 360 degrees in all three dimensions! What's more, the head of the screw is flat ended, intended for tables, but the curve on the top edge works really nicely for my purposes.

Because the mic stays mounted on a moving (bouncing) vehicle, one of the joints tended to keep getting loose. Not a problem if you're stationary. My previous one mysteriously locked up though - maybe the threads of the screw oxidized. After much searching (I couldn't remember the make or model) I'm thrilled I finally found it again - there's nothing else configured like it. Just remember to clean it once in a while!

4.0 out of 5 stars works well, May 15, 2011
Product is sturdy and holds tight on different surfaces due to rubber sleeve on main brace and glued on rubber foot on circular "foot" of clamp. However, this is also the only problem I have with this product. The circular rubber piece that is glued onto the plastic foot that screws out to clamp it down is already starting to come unglued after 1 week of use. I have been clamping it fairly tight onto a circular pole in a very bumpy vehicle so the contact area isn't flat and I think this has contributed to more stress on the glue than normal. Just FYI if you were planning to connect to a roll bar - you may end up having to re-glue this piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE, November 24, 2009
This is an absolute priceless little gadget. It's better than my gorilla pod, and much more handy than my tripod. This will take the shake out of those long distant nature shots (or anything you don't need to be moving the camera around for). I'd pay $50.00 bucks for one if I had to. I'm glad I didn't :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultraclamp is well built, October 20, 2010
I ordered this clamp for my go pro camera. Its very well made and will do the trick. The bar extending from the front and back is metal. Very strong and can support any small cam and especially great for the go pro