Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

Size: 1PACKChange

on July 16, 2011
I purchased two sets of Ultrafire 18650 3000mAh batteries with charger. The included charger works well for travel needs but does not seem to have two independent charging channels, as there is only one charge status LED. It works well enough for casual use with inexpensive cells in my collection, but a higher quality charger such as the Pila IBC is a good investment if you get serious and want the most out of your more expensive 18650 batteries.

My only complaint is these batteries after being freshly charged cut out under a high load because of the protection circuit board which seems to be current limited to only around 2.5 Amps. For instance, when trying to drive a Ultrafire WF-502B or WF-501B flashlight with the 900 lumen Cree XML-T6 P60 LED drop-in on max power, it will only illuminate for a couple seconds and then cut off. Running it for a few minutes on medium power to partially drain the battery then allows it to run continuously on high power. The measured current draw on high power was 2.46 Amps. This suspicion was further confirmed when I cut open a cell and looked at the protection circuit card inside and found only one MOSFET driver IC, and two empty spots for additional MOSFET driver ICs. (Most other brands of 18650 batteries can sustain 5 to 7 Amps and contain two or three MOSFET drivers on the protection circuit card)

So if your needs are for long storage life with a moderate discharge rate, this is a great battery and a good deal.

Update to my original 07/16/2011 review above.
After having used these batteries for over a month now, and having gone through several charge/discharge cycles, I downgraded this review from three to one star. I purchased two sets (four batteries) from HULATU LLC trading/CREE-Flashlight along with the included wall type travel chargers. What I found is the advertised capacity of 3000mAH for these Ultrafire 18650 batteries is a complete misrepresentation. The label on the battery says 3000mAH, however when I tested them I only observed 980mAH to 1070mAH discharge capacity for all four of the batteries I received. This discharge test was done using a Turnigy Accucell 8150 with a discharge rate of 600mAH, discharging the battery from 4.20VDC down to 3.00VDC. By comparison, I tested two inexpensive Tenergy 2600mAH 18650 batteries using the same setup and they came in at a reasonable 2460mAH and 2520mAH discharge capacity.

So unless your capacity needs are very light, don't waste your money on this brand of 18650 battery.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2011
I purchased these for a fenix tk 35 flashlight. Both batteries indicate fully charged in charger and charger shuts off. When put in flashlight the highest mode would not work. the light would turn on for a second and then shut off. This is what the flashlight does when the batteries start to die. My other AW and tenergy batteries will last me about 2 weeks of light intermittant use before the turbo mode will stop working. These wont work at all in turbo. High mode will work but I never left them in to see how long. I tried to charge them a couple of more times using a different charger but it was the same thing, charger would turn on then after about 1 min would indicate batteries fully charged then shut off. Contacted R-lsales via amazon and was given a address to send them to in California at my own expense. Shipping was going to be $12.00, cost of batteries were $15.00. Wasn't worth the trouble. Waste of money.

Have purchased a couple of sets of tenergy batteries since and they seem to be working as good as the highly regaurded set of AW batteries I have.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2011
I purchased two sets of these batteries on different days from the seller "CREE Flashlight." The first set I received was defective -- the included battery charger LED turned went out after about a minute of being plugged in. I wasn't sure if the batteries were still being charged, so I pulled them off the charger and measured the voltage with my digital multi-meter. I plugged them back into the charger for an hour, and took another reading. One of the batteries remained the exact same, and the other actually lost .02 volts. I spoke with Amazon about getting a replacement and was asked to send this set back while another was shipped to me. I decided that I would keep the original set until I had the opportunity to compare them to the replacements (fully charged, of course) and would select the two best batteries from the set of four.

I received the second set promptly (thanks, Amazon!) and put the batteries in the charger. It worked! About 45 minutes later I had two batteries charged to 4.16 volts (according to my DMM). I charged the original set of batteries as well. One came off the charger at 4.17 volts and the other at 4.16 volts. This shows that these batteries are at least consistent when charged.

To test the batteries' capacity, I put one in my Zebralight SC600 flashlight. For those that don't know, this flashlight is amazingly consistent with battery usage. Prior to purchasing these batteries, I used several different AW protected 2900 MAH cells in the flashlight. On the 330 lumens high mode, I could consistently get just over three hours of use from the AW batteries. Using the first of the new Ultrafire batteries, I didn't even break the two-hour mark before the flashlight dimmed to maybe 30% of the normal output.

I repeated this test with each of the four Ultrafire batteries. I didn't get more than two hours from any of the four batteries that I received. This was disappointing, considering that these batteries were supposedly rated higher (3000 MAH) than my AW 2900 MAH batteries.

Given the faulty charger with the first set and the consistently poor performance from all four batteries, I cannot recommend these. I will be returning all four batteries and both chargers.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2012
I guess even Amazon will sell junk even when many have complained. I took a dumb chance that I might be one of the lucky ones, wrong. Charger won't work so I don't know about the cells. Now I have to buy a REAL charger. The batteries are probably fake or junk as well. Bad product Amazon. I buy almost everything on Amazon but I'm going to be more careful on their cheap deals on unknown no brand products, ex the charger!
Thanks for nothing

Feb 1, 2012
UPDATE: I was wrong about the batteries, they both charged up to 4.2v in my new $15 Trustfire Multifunctional charger (Amazon). I bought a $20 self ranging digital multimeter @ RShak(idiot proof btw) to measure the resting charges. Then I tested the run times in a my new Fenix TK35 on Turbo. I bought 2 new Callies Kustoms 3100mA for $35 touted as one of the best made using only PANAsonic cells.

1) The 2 fully charged Ultrafires that came with the so-called charger lasted only 90 minutes on turbo mode-(820 lumen's).

2) The 2 fully charged "Callies Kustoms" lasted a wopping 295 minutes on turbo mode-(820 lumen's).
So, The Callies Kustoms lasted well over 3x longer than the Ultra's but costs 3x more, your choice!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2011
Not worth even the cheap price, complete junk the led stays green all the time is not detecting to charge the batteries. Will be returned.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2013
Not sure how this is even possible, but one of the batteries EXPLODED while inside the charger, sending flying bits of metal and plastic around the room and leaking gross brown liquid everywhere.

It sounded like a gunshot! Luckily no one was in the room when in happened, but good lord.

I should learn my lesson and stay away from cheap stuff - it's dangerous!
review image
on November 4, 2011
This is a mixed review.

I purchased the batteries/charger combo set to use with my Fenix TK35 flashlight. The batteries works fine. I haven't used it long enough to see if it'll hold the charges long term.

However, the travel charger that came with the set broke after a couple of uses. The retractable plug's design is flawed and cause the internal connection to fail.

After opening the charger and readjust the metal connector inside (squeeze the metal spring tighter), the charger works again, but repeated opening and closing of the plug will cause the metal connection inside to become loose again. Very poor design, and cheaply made.
on May 9, 2011
One review wrote about getting the wrong charger. I ordered these batteries twice (one for a spare set). The 1st set, my order came from R-lsales which sent me the "mini" charger NOT seen in the photo. The second pair came from "CREE-Flashlight" and it was exactly what was in the picture, seems to work better, and seems of higher quality than the "mini" cheap plug in the wall thing. I feel like the springs are breaking every time I install or take out the battery. CREE-Flashlight also delivered faster than I thought possible - ordered Friday and had it on Monday. These batteries DO seem to last a long time. The charger light does turn green but if the batteries are real low, it might take up to 4 hours.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2011
One star because I have to click on something. Charged the batteries for 8 hours. The green light came on and said it was done. Put the batteries in the flashlight and prepared to be amazed. NOT. Checked the voltage of the batteries... 0.00 volts. Oh well. I will try one more time after the refund. I'll let you know how it turns out.

OK. Check out the comment to see what happened with the new batteries.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2012
I got these batteries and charger two weeks ago and batteries are dead and the green LED light on the charger stays on? batteries never charge!