Customer Discussions > The Dark Knight Rises forum

UltraViolet Digital Download

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2012 10:42:47 PM PDT
I wish that people would stop giving movies 1 star for having UltraViolet digital downloads. It's ridiculous and incredibly childish.

Stick to critiquing the movie.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 9:40:24 PM PDT
Panthalassa says:
Well, since this is a product, it is the product being critiqued, not just the movie. For critiques of the movie itself, go to IMDb.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:21:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 6:23:36 AM PDT
PK says:
I agree with Panthalassa. Reviews of the movie itself can found easily. Many consumers like me come to places like Amazon to purchase a product that isn't just about the movie - do I want to get the DVD, BluRay, DVD / BluRay combo pack, 2-disk, 3-disk, 4-disk, 3-D, etc. The movie itself isn't necessarily the issue (I know I'm getting the movie and often don't need to be convinced that the movie is worth watching / owning!). I want to know if it's worth spending the extra $5-$50 for extras like behind the scenes, BD Live, extra character bios, AND, yes, digital copy vs. UltraViolet digital download. Personally, UltraViolet is a deal breaker. As a father of 3 young kids, I rarely have time alone to watch movies, particularly movies not so suitable for young ones. I love digital copies as they give me the flexibility to take movies with me anywhere or even watch on my iPad or iPhone with headphones while my kids sleep, watch their own shows, etc. When I travel, I catch up on movies - that's when UltraViolet becomes a true pain.

One thing that I don't understand is how one can accurately review a PRODUCT (which is more than simply the movie) prior to its release. Unless one gets an advanced preview or purchase of the PRODUCT, how can one write a review? Again, I know people love to talk about the movie. If that's the case, please do as many already do and specify that the review is ONLY about the movie (or, conversely, ONLY about the extras that are / are not present).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 10:44:33 PM PDT
No, it isn't just the product. I've read a ton of reviews on amazon in which the author flat out admits that they like the movie but UltraViolet forces the score down to one star. Absurd. Is this some kind of protest? Voting movies down to one star on amazon isn't going to cause movies to stop carrying UltraViolet.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:16:20 PM PDT
AMW says:
For some reason, Amazon allows customers to review DVD titles that have not yet been released. I've e-mailed them asking why, and have never received a reasonable response. For example, a month before the 2012 Stanley Cup highlights DVD was released, people were "reviewing" it, offering opinions based solely upon their love of the Los Angeles Kings, and not on the contents of the then-unavailable DVD. Questioning these types of non-reviews generates not only a non-response from Amazon, but inane insults from hockey fans. Amazon apparently makes this pre-releaase review exception only for movies.

As for the "Ultraviolet Digital Download"--I clicked on the thread because I was wondering how an "Ultraviolet Digital Download" differs from a standard "bonus digital copy". But I would agree with those who give this DVD title a poor rating merely because, in an effort to shove Blu-Ray down the throat of consumers, the home video industry is stripping DVD title of any substantial bonus content, and have simply figured out a way to pass off the feature film itself as its own "bonus content." I have yet to cross paths with anybody who considers these "digital copies" any sort of a selling point.

I would agree that Amazon needs to come up with a system where posted reviews of a particular product are actually reviews of that particular product, but Amazon is apparently uninterested in making this sort of change, despite being utterly unable to intelligently defend the policy on even a semi-literate basis.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 6:05:03 AM PST
I disagree with you... Digital Copy (as opposed to UV) is a big deal, i know a ton of people that only buy movies and TV shows on say iTunes, and keeping a movie out of that eco system is worth 1 star, sure you can buy the movie for $20 on iTunes, but that is why people lower the ratings of a movie. Instead of buying a $25 movie you are now buying a $45 movie if you want it in your eco system. I do agree with you on the point of reviewing a movie once it is released... The Hunger Games Blu Ray listed the special features as UV version, but when you bought it, you had the option of both. So to sum up I agree we should wait to see what all is on it... but disagree with you that if they only give us UV I would at minimum lower at least 1 star.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:21:17 AM PST
C. Engle says:
Ever since Ultraviolet came out, I have pretty much stopped buying DVD's. I used to buy a few every week but I REFUSE to pay that much money in order to get a legal "digital copy" and then NOT be allowed to use it on iTunes. Ultraviolet FORCES you to have to have a WiFi connection and it is NOT A TRUE DIGITAL COPY!!!! It streams...........from the cloud..........which does me no good if I'm trying to watch the movie while camping in the mountains somewhere, and there is no wifi connection. Ultraviolet is a JOKE and I cannot believe that more people are not complaining about it more. Oh, and I have EVERY RIGHT to rate this package with one star SOLELY because of Ultraviolet! Stupid service. You will not get my money...........I'll find a digital copy WITHOUT PAYING for it I guess.......Wake up Warner.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 1:33:21 PM PST
extermin8or says:
as i currently trying to watch the ultraviolet copy and it keeps making popping noises in the sound which has issues... then it seems fair

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:40:28 PM PST
So does it play like a standard Dvd or not? Thanks
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Oct 7, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight Rises by Christian Bale (DVD - 2012)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (4,008)