Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:45 Mins
Published on October 24, 2012 by JJCEO

3.0 out of 5 stars ONLY 3 Modes NOT 5
Received flashlight but it only has 3 modes, high, low, and strobe. Will be sending back as it's suppose to have 5 modes including MAX and SOS.
Published 17 months ago by GU1980

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good product but with some things that you know about it!, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Ultrafire Wf-502b Cree Xm-l T6 Led 5 Mode Focus Flashlight (Misc.)
Length:: 4:45 Mins

I own several Ultrafire flashlights and they have been good products. For the price they are a real value and are very bright. Included with the written review is a video review with some brightness tests and temperature data in real life experiences. Please take the time to watch the video as I believe it will be helpful to you. The video also includes several suggestions to extend the life of your flashlight.

The video also includes data on the proper lubrication of the flashlight parts to make sure that the aluminum parts do not gall and it helps to protect the O-rings from damage. There is also a section on using good quality batteries and I have included a link to a supplier that I have used multiple times for batteries and a good charger.

My video also includes a comparison of the flashlights brightness to the Ultrafire WF-501B and to the Fenix TK35. The two Ultrafire flashlights had freshly charged batteries while the Fenix TK35 batteries had been used for about 3 weeks and were not fully charged. There is also a temperature test where the flashlight reaches 131 °F under normal operation in a cool room in 20 minutes. I don't know how hot it may finally get to as I stopped the test.

Despite these tests the flashlight is a great value for the price and it is well worth buying. I just wanted you to be aware of the real comparison to other products and to the temperature issue that can occur.

Ultrafire WF-502B Main Features:
* Brightness rated at 1000 lumens, probably closer to 200 to 250 lumens when compared to a Fenix TK35 which is rated at 850 lumens.
* Great price
* White bright light
* Utilizes either rechargeable 18650 Lithium-Ion batteries or two CR-123 batteries.
* 5 mode tail switch for low, medium, high, Strobe and SOS.
* Rugged aluminum case nicely black anodized.
* Built in belt clip
* Delivered by Amazon in 2 days if you select the right vendor and pay about $2 more.

Ultrafire wf-502B pros:
* Small size
* Easy carry
* Great price
* Rugged aluminum build
* Uses rechargeable batteries

Ultrafire wf-502B Cons:
* Runs very hot in only about 5 minutes please see the results of my temperature test.
* Won't stand upright on its tail
* Certainly not the 1000 lumens it claims but still very bright.

The flashlight is a 5 star product and I recommend it to you as a good product.

Just be aware that a good set of protected batteries and a good charger will cost you much more than the flashlight. There are many types of batteries out there and some of them are very poor quality. Listed below is a link for the batteries that I use in all of my flashlights. The use of unprotected 18650 power cells can be dangerous. If you go to that product link you will find a video review that I have done that may help you to understand the nice charger that is in the battery kit.

18650 Smart Li-ion Charger and Two 3100mAh PROTECTED Orbtronic (Panasonic NCR18650A cell inside) Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Batteries Kit (NEW Version)

This flashlight can also get extremely hot so take care when using it and I would not let children operate it as they might be injured.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice utility light that uses Li-ion 18650 cell., March 21, 2012
I have bought quite a few of these from different vendors. I am "collecting" them for gifts for friends and relatives I know are in hazard prone areas and are not aware of the existence of the 18650 Lithium technology.

I would suggest you pair the purchase of this light with spare lithium cells and a good charger.

2pcs 3.7v Ultrafire 18650 3000mah Rechargeable Battery

XTAR WP2 II Rapid Li-ion 2 Channels, 2 Charging Speeds (1A & 500mA) Charger for 18650 / 14500/ 14650/ 17670/ 18500/ 18700/ 10440/ 16340 Batteries - Wall/Car adapter included-with USB port out

18650 Smart Li-ion Charger and Two 3100mAh Panasonic Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Batteries Kit (NEW Version)

You will find the USB output on the XTAR very handy should you need to charge your cellphone from your flashlight cell. The XTAR will charge the cell from 120 volt American line power or 12V car power.

Ultrafire claims their lithium cells have a ten YEAR shelf life... now how much of that is actually true I do not know, but one thing I haven't seen yet is a leaking lithium cell. I have lost more "emergency" flashlights due to alkaline battery leakage than I can count. NiCads leak too - crack open a spent power tool battery and see for yourself. Usually a mess.

Ni-Cad/NIMH chemistries have that self-discharge that is really annoying when you get something prepared, leave it in the closet or car for an emergency, then discover the effects of self-discharge right at the moment you really needed the thing.

These UltraFires are nicely made, and I think you would really appreciate having a few of them around. ( If they were in limited supply, I would not be typing this... I would be getting them myself!!! ).

Their aluminum case is also a heat sink. These lights generate unusual amounts of light on the HIGH setting, and will get warm.

As other reviewers noted, there is no "focus" to this, however it is well focused and the emitted beam has a nice profile, that it the light pattern is a clean gaussian shape to it, bright in the center spot and tapering off to the edges.

You won't find anything like this light in the local department stores.

Remember, a spent laptop battery pack often has six 18650 cells in it... and when one cell fails, the whole pack is rendered useless. The cell that failed was the weakest cell, so you normally threw the five best and strongest cells away. Times are too tough to be throwing perfectly good cells away. Use these lights to put those cells back in service and get what you paid for. Switch over to these rechargeables, and never be "out of batteries" again. Get the XTAR and you can still keep your flashlights running even if your house power is out.

Run the flashlight on "LOW" and it will run all night for several nights.

In an emergency, it will keep the monsters out of the kid's room so mom and dad can get a night's sleep.

Reminder: This flashlight uses one specialty Lithium-ion 18650 cell, which requires a specialized charger. It does not run on standard flashlight batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars 900 lumen 5 mode ultrafire 502b, February 21, 2012
Michael Strahl (MINNEAPOLIS, MN, US) - See all my reviews
I ordered this to replace the Ultrafire 501b i dropped down the ice hole. This is the same flashlight except it has a clip instead of a lanyard. It has 3 levels of brightness, strobe and sos modes. One of the best features is the memory. It turns on in the same mode you turned if off. The light will work with either 1x18650 or 2x123 batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed. Update 12/1/13, July 9, 2012
I am a flashlight geek,and have a lot of them. This was my first Ultrafire. Now I understand why so many people say that Ultafire overrates their lights and batteries. I have another light rated at 900 lumens and it's much brighter. The build quality seems pretty good with O rings in the right places.Of course there were no instructions.Typical of lights from China.Very easy to use. A full click turns it on and a lighter press gives the next mode and so on. It has memory, so it comes back on in the same mode it was turned off in. If it was close to 900 lumens, I would have given it 5 stars.If you have an old 2D cell flashlight as your main emergency light, you would probably be impressed, but you must buy an 18650 rechargeable battery and charger for this, if you don't have them. That would probably double the total cost. I ordered it from crazy cart thru amazon and would like to give them 6 stars for the super fast shipping. Anyway, my first Ultrafire may be my last. P.S. The word focus appears in the description, but it does not focus or [zoom] as it is also called. Don't know why thats in there.It's a great all around light but if you want, or need, 900 lumens look elsewhere. UPDATE 7/28/2012. Just received better batteries, and it made a difference. It is noticeably brighter but my other light [rated the same], is also, so still 3 stars.The first battery was an ultrafire 2400 mah. The new one is a trustfire TRUE 2400 mah battery. The ones on Amazon don't say TRUE 2400, and are twice the price I paid. I don't know if Amazon will allow this,but if not, at least I tried. dx.com.

Update 12/1/13 About a month ago, I took the drop-in module out and noticed that the reflector was not screwed in to the module as it should have been. It was totally loose. When I screwed it in and tried it, it was noticeably brighter. So to be fair, I gave it 4 stars now. It's a good light for the money. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars ultrafire 502b xml led, January 31, 2012
This comes in white box with no info either at web site or with product.
However what is delivered is the very well made Ultrafire 502b. This has smooth threads, good O rings, etc. The tail switch has very solid sounding operation. (wont stand on it's tail)
It doesn't say anywhere but this uses a 18650 battery. It might use others but since they would have higher volts, I didn't try it. I couldn't find any info about the driver. They should write something somewhere!

The driver is a 5 mode with memory. works well. memory is very handy, when powered on it
returns to last state of brightness.

This is a very bright light.
You will appreciate the lower power modes for some jobs.

This is an unusually good light for the $.

btw I don't see what the word focus refers to in title. I turned the head etc. looking for effect?

5.0 out of 5 stars IMO - This is The Best Buy Of All The CREE Type Lights, December 2, 2012
MJNC367 (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
I have 3 of the 5 mode version of this light. It is claimed to be 1000 lumens. If it is or not, I really don't care. It is waaa..y brighter than anything I've ever used. The High is blazingly bright, medium isn't much dimmer than high(useless), low (good), strobe (great for selfdefence or emergency situations), & SOS, (I think is of very limited usefulness).

Both lights are top notch in quality, beautifully finished, switch is smooth, and in my opinion, rivals the quality of lights costing much more. In fact, I was in my local gunshop recently and showed the counter guy my light. He was impressed , and when I told him what i paid for it, he called the over the owner to see it. He commented that it was as good the best ones they sold (highest being $120.00).

Both the 3 & 5 mode are great lights & great values. Just wanted to inform so you can select based on what features are important to you. I made my comments above based on experience from use. (Although I'm kind of partial to the 5 mode because of the strobe).Both are about the same price. They use a # 18650 Li-ion battery & charger; sold on amazon.Or, like me you can use the good cells from a defective laptop battery pack, and buy a charger.

To sum up, I would like to comment on the most useful modes in my opinion.

#1-The high is blazingly bright, if it is shined in someone's eyes, (not recommended if it's someone you like). They won't be seeing much for 5 min. or so. But the brightness is there, to light up your yard from the house, to find a small part lost on the floor,etc.

#2-On low, it's about as bright as a 2 D-cell flashlight with new batteries. Good for walking your dog, and other tasks.

#3-Strobe- using the example of walking at night, I attached a wrist lanyard to mine so there's no chance of dropping it. Set it on low for normal and if someone is near you that you feel may intend to do you harm, click it on strobe & aim right in the eyes. They will be totally blinded (temporarily) & disoriented, giving you time to get to safety.(Which is the main purpose of strobe mode, but it also can be used as an emergency beacon).

I purchased 3 of this exact light over the course of a year. They all have been extremely reliable, no problems at all. They were most likely from the same manufacturer as the parts are interchangeable. If I needed to buy 10 inexpensive quality flashlights for some reason; this is the one I would choose without hesitation.

Thanks for reading. I hope someone finds my review helpful in making a buying decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased two of these a month ago, one has a failing switch, July 22, 2012
I purchased two of these. As the title says, one now has a failing switch. Sometimes the light does not come on. Sometimes it does, and when it does it often flickers. It's just past Amazon's return window and so far no response from the seller to an inquiry about warranty or purchase of just the switch.

These flashlights are very bright. I'd have rated it 5 stars if they both worked. As it is, 3 stars (really 2 1/2) as one works and one is failing...

I've purchased 5 of the 50x series Ultrafire flashlights over the past 6 weeks along with another pair of Ultrafire flashlights which aren't in the 50x series. While the general build quality seems outstanding, the switches should not be failing on two of seven...

I'll update this if (when?) the seller or manufacturer responds to my queries.

(Update 2012-10-30)
I've increased the rating to 5 stars after Peace Maker's comment on how to fix the issue. It's a simple fix.

There is a nut inside the tail cap. As per his suggestion, I located the two small indentations. As it happens I have a specialty wrench from some project or another which fit them perfectly. Once I tightened it, the problem was fixed.

Lacking the wrench, you can use his suggestion to use a punch or some other pointed solid sturdy object to move the nut clockwise. Once tight it's fixed!

Cudos and many thanks Peace Maker!

5.0 out of 5 stars This light is a hidden gem, March 22, 2012
This light is amazing, I was surprised that I found it for so cheap. Was going to order from China and then I saw this deal, was hard to believe it. The quality is good and it's currently the brightest light I own, at this price I might order few more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Great light for a cheap price!, May 14, 2012
I ordered this light and was very supprised at the light output and quality of this light. It has a modular design with great size and finish. The light has a good beam that is almost too bright for close up inspections. I will surely order more of this light.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, not great., June 15, 2012
I own many flashlights and bought two of these because of the price. The workmanship isn't what you would get with a $100 flashlight, but for the price they are okay. These flashlights come out of China, so it may take awhile to get delivered, but they did make it within their estimated delivery time. Also, instructions DO NOT come with it, so you may want to refer to the internet for any questions you might have. The button on the back doesn't work exactly the same everytime, but it works. It has a good broad throw, but no way is it 1000 lumens they advertise. Probably more in the range of 250 lumens, which is still good for a $15 flashlight. Another issue is heat. If you leave it on high for more than 2 or 3 minutes, it will get very hot. I use a Cree 123 battery, so maybe using the Li-ion 3000 battery advertised with it might change that, I'm not sure. For the price, I would recommend buying this flashlight.