5.0 out of 5 stars Simply INCREDIBLE
Published on November 18, 2012 by Joe in Memphis

1.0 out of 5 stars Works, but it's very, very visible and WRONG.
I'm not a master of wave lengths but I purchased this expecting an IR light, and received a black light. Wanted to test the IR ability of my cameras but this light is clearly visible to the naked eye and doesn't help me in the least.

Published 14 months ago by Michael J Finnell

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply INCREDIBLE, November 18, 2012
This review is from: Ultrafire Wf-501b Cree Infrared Ir 3w LED Night Vision Flashlight Torch (Misc.)
Ok, first off it did take a while for it to get here, but the wait was definitely worth it. It is very sturdy and seems to be of good quality. It is NOT a UV light like the picture seems to indicate, but a very near IR light, you do see a slight reddish glow from it. It has 3 IR emitters in its bezel. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that there was NO paperwork at all with it, so I didn't even know what batteries to install. I looked it back up on Amazon and found that it runs on 3.7 ~ 8.4VDC, so even though they fit slightly loose in the barrel, I stuck 2 CR123A batteries in and it works like a champ, however I think it was designed for their proprietary rechargeable batteries. How does it work?? Well I am using it with a PVS-14 3rd generation night vision monocular with an ITT Pinnacle tube, and it is simply amazing. It is no problem to light up a house 173 yards away! (Measured with a laser rangefinder) Would I recommend this, YES. It is perfect for use with quality night vision.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW !!!!, October 30, 2012
I bought this light to go with a Gen 1 scope , the IR on the scope is ok , but it is really focused and there was a lot of area that was not visible on the outside edges . I looked at all the IR lights that i could find and they are all about $100. It seems like most come from china ( like this one ). I received it today from Highly company that is in china , it took 12 days from ordering it to the door. I mounted it with regular scope low rings to the weaver rail on the side of the scope and took it outside this evening. There was cloud cover from hurricane sandy and the wind blowing like crazy , I was really super impressed with this light. It filled the entire viewing area , and threw as far as the mounted IR . It really was amazing because i figured it would maybe light 30 yards max, but I was pleasantly wrong. It was easily close to 100 yards and i am not talking about a spot either i mean like football stadium large . There is a pressure activated switch that is sold here for around $8 that i installed on it , i really like the set up and it cost around $24 for the entire set up . Time will tell if it will hold up or not but at this price it was well worth it ....and for some of you that might have saw a review about one of these being noting but a UV light , not this one its IR all the way .

1.0 out of 5 stars Works, but it's very, very visible and WRONG., October 27, 2013
Michael J Finnell (Croydon, PA United States) - See all my reviews

It was bad enough I had to hunt down the goofy batteries this thing uses, but the kick in the teeth was turning it on and seeing a very visible UV light shining out from the tip. Looks like Im not the first person to get the wrong item from this seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3w LED Cree Infrared Light, January 9, 2013
This is a powerful little light. Works great as a supplemental IR with my Gen1 night vision device. It isn't super tactical because of the slight glow, but for the price you can't go wrong. It has taken my night vision device from being okay to being awesome. I have served in the military and know all about the higher end units out there. I am just saying that for a budget build, meant to be used to see what goes bump in the night, this product is great add-on accessory. It is a real infrared light and will light up an area out to around 100 yards with a nice wide beam. Hope this helps...

1.0 out of 5 stars Infrared? Nope, just red, very, very red., August 21, 2013
I purchased this with the intention of using it with a night vision monocular (wasn't sure the nm sensitivity, and for the price wasn't too concerned). Received it, dropped in an 18650 battery, and turned it on, expecting to see nothing.

Imagine my surprise when there was a very bright red circle on the ground. I'm not talking "If I look directly at it, it looks reddish", I'm talking red batsignal.

I'll upload a picture that I took with my phone's camera (in visible light) in case anyone doubts.

Edit: Doing a bit of digging, it looks like I received this flashlight instead

1.0 out of 5 stars Fast refund, January 10, 2013
I just received my unit, arrived in good condition. It seems well made, BUT IT IS NOT IR AT ALL. It emits an EXTREMELY BRIGHT RED LIGHT (possibly eye damaging), and VERY VISIBLE TO THE NAKED EYE. It illuminates trees 100 or more feet away at night in visible red light. However I put a 720NM pass filter in front of the unit and it all but blocked the IR spectrum to my IR video camera. Also it appears to have only one emitter, not three as somone else indicated. It is the opposite of what I ordered. I assume the wrong illuminator LED is in my unit although I'm not sure who would want such bright red beacon unless you are waving off jets trying to land on an aircraft carrier.

This is not at all what was advertised and I am going to either return it or perhaps the emitter is bad or incorrect and they can just ship the correct one. If I can't get the 850 NM IR light I ordered I may be stuck with the unique batteries and charger as well as the mount that you are encouraged to buy when you are preparing to order the light.

My advice: Don't order the batteries and charger until you verify that the light works as advertised.

UPDATE - Amazon and the seller quickly credited my account for almost the full value of the light. In addition I e-mailed the seller direct and he quickly apologized. The seller shipped the wrong wavelength emitter. It was a mistake and they quickly took steps to refund.

Tom

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT IR, BUT A BLACK LIGHT., September 12, 2014
I ordered what said was an IR light but what I recieved was a BLACK LIGHT. This totally screws up my plans for my airsoft teams night time airsoft game this weekend. I want a full refund for this or a REAL IR light asap.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mystery Flashlight, September 12, 2013
For the third time in a row, I received something other than an IR flashlight. This time it was an Ultraviolet light. They ought to just call it the "Mystery Wavelength Flashlight" because you never know what you're going to get.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's a stupid UV light not IR at all, August 2, 2013
knew the price was too good to be true. Want to make plastics glow a funny color and see all the lint and cat hair in your place, then this is the light for you! It throws a giant purple beam of light that would be pretty much pointless when used with any night vision gear. If it was possible to rate this product a negative star I would...

5.0 out of 5 stars INVISIBLE POWER, November 30, 2012
WORKS GREAT ONCE YOU BUY THE MILLION DOLLAR BATTERIES THE CHEAP PLACE TO GET THEM IS AT LOWES HOME IMPROVEMENT