Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 12, 2011
I purchaced this stove because I'm cheap. I looked at other "brand name" stoves like MSR and Jetboil and alot of the other small backpacking stoves. Those are all about ten times as much. I have used this stove every single day at work for lunches and at my camp for continuous days for the last 4 weeks, about 3 times a day. It boils water for coffee in about 3 minutes. It heats up a can of soup in about 4. It balances a standard camping/hiking pot. The flame control is actually very percise. Just because this item doesnt have a recognizable brand on it, (which is where the others charge double) does not mean its in any way inferior. A small can of Brunton fuel lasts about a week, being used 3 times a day to basically boil water and cook a can of soup for lunch. I recommend this great little stove!
on December 19, 2011
What a surprise!This is not the most robust piece of gear in the world but it is perfect for emergencies or as a back-up and frankly, will serve well in most 3 season activities where a propane/butane stove is otherwise suitable.
Here are some facts of my own tests which were conducted in windless conditions, at room temperature, 380 feet above sea level...that is, in my kitchen):

--Boils 1 quart of water in 6 minutes(in a 40 ounce stainless steel "Sigg" style bottle.)
--Stove and burner frame is not really strong and stable enough for large pots or mongo-size cast iron fry pans, but then again, it is not designed for this.
--8.1 ounce Burton fuel canister burns 2-1/2+ hours on full flame! Theoretically, if all of your meal preparation involves only boiling water 3 times a day, one canister will last an entire week!
--Flame control is amazingly good; as good as any high-end stove and far better than many. In fact, this particular [test] stove's flame control is as good as my Viking range!
--Electronic ignition works great but I am not inclined to think it will work long-term. (To be fair, this comment is based only on the fact that the stove was so inexpensive, made in China of less than premium material, and that it has such a dainty constitution. There is no objective reason to believe that the ignition will fail prior to the otherwise functional life of the stove.)
--Item description claims that the stove will run on Coleman and Camping Gaz LPG. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! Fuel canisters must have Lindal threaded mount***. These are only a little less common than Coleman. I have discovered that most sporting goods and variety stores carry these for about $3.00 each 8.1 ounce canister (e.g: Big 5,Fred Meyer, or similar.) The broader point here is that one would be wise to purchase their fuel before hitting the road; small roadside stores may not inventory these canisters. (***Please see this extraordinarily informational web page: <[...]>.)
--The stove has no windscreen (nor does it claim to; so this fact should not be considered as negative) so you will need to contrive a clever remedy for windy conditions. After-market windscreens are available from several manufacturers or you can fabricate one yourself with minimal skill, materials, and mechanical aptitude. I would advise that you locate or construct one. (In either case, be careful that the windscreen does not reflect too much heat on the canister!)
--This is an unbelievably tiny stove! It fits in a shirt pocket...no kidding. The stove comes with a very functional plastic case that is literally no larger than a bar of soap.
--Seller was very helpful and quick to respond to questions. This is not a paid advertisement and I have no vested interest in saying this but, the seller has a nice storefront on Amazon and offers a nice selection of various goodies for the gear-head. The seller seems worthy of your business.
--The price? $15 bucks? Are you kidding me? The best $15 I have spent in a very long time. (So I bought another!)

In summary:
---This is an amazing stove!
---Any shortcomings are owing to intentional and necessary design compromises aimed at keeping the stove as tiny as possible.
---The materials used are not the surgical quality metals we are use to seeing in high-end stoves but this takes nothing from the functionality of the stove. It may however, limit the functional life of the stove. But this must be taken in context: this stove does not claim to be a material equivalent or substitute for stoves that are 4 or 5 times the price.
---This stove will do a fine job for the minimalist or 3 season overnight/short trip solo-trecker.
---It's small enough to throw in the pack for day trips or in a fly fishing vest; truck box or car trunk, or even a lunch bucket---semper paratus!

The only word of caution I have is not a criticism of the stove as much as it is a restatement of conventional wisdom, specifically: I would not (personally) rely on this as my only stove for winter trips or where extreme conditions are likely to present. In these cases though, one would want an expedition-quality white gas or kerosene stove anyway. Again, this takes nothing from the fact that this stove does exactly what it is designed to do...and it does these things perfectly! I give the stove---and the merchant---my highest endorsement.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Brett
33 comments| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2013
I bought this stove as a cheaper alternative to the MSR pocket rocket figuring that I was just paying for a name with the MSR. The stove worked out fine for 3 uses and I actually would have recommended it up until that point. On my fourth use I noticed it sounded weird while I was boiling some water, upon further investigation the plastic part attached to the ignitor had melted and the stove was spewing gas out the side, while still being lit. Luckily I was paying attention and had water handy to dump on it to put out the fire, but had I not that situation could have gone really bad. Please do yourself a favor and spend the couple extra dollars for the MSR branded one.
review image
on January 10, 2012
This little 'no-name' stove is as functional as any name-brand pocket stove you'll find. It's not the lightest on the market, but it's not near the heaviest. It's rotating and folding pot support packs nice and snug in it's case, which is smaller than most (case measures 1-5/8"d x 2-1/8"w x 3-3/16"h). While we're talking size, the pot support folds out to 3-5/8" wide, and stove stands 2-7/8" tall from the bottom of the can gasket to the top of the pot support. It uses standard and widely available Butane/Propane canisters with the threaded valve such as those from MSR and/or Jetboil. If you are going to go for the smaller 100g canisters, I'd recommend MSR cans as they have the same size base as their larger 200g+ canisters where most other brands have a 'hockey puck' sized base. Those will make any pocket stove more stable.

When I got mine, I threaded on a Jetboil can, turned the valve and it fired on the first click. Can't ask for more than that! A test boil in my Snow Peak Ti pot with lid on, got cold tap water (about 20 oz.) to boil in just a shade over three minutes. I can't wait to try this on the trail!

If you are considering the MSR Pocket Rocket, buy this instead. It packs into a case that is just as small (if not smaller), weighs less than an ounce more, has a built in igniter, and will leave you with enough cash for your first 4 or 5 cans of fuel, or a decent small aluminum or stainless cook set. If you end up using use this stove enough to wear it out, you'll never have to fuss around trying to fix it. Why? For the price of their rebuild kit consisting of o-rings and replacement jet, you can simply buy a new stove!
on August 19, 2012
Backpacking gear is expensive if you want to get something halfway decent and looking at the prices of the other ultralight stoves made me cringe so I took a risk with this one based on the reviews and I am glad I did !!

The pot stand looks rather small but it is just the right size for my pot , piezo ignition is a nice touch and works flawlessly , burning on high this thing can pump some serious BTUs but you can adjust it to almost nothing with ease , light and small fits nicely inside my pot ( wrapped in a piece of an old sock to avoid scratches , I believe the sock was clean at the time )

Time will tell for how long this cheap little wonder can hang around the other guy's expensive stoves ,but at this price replacing it wont bring a tear to my eye .
on September 25, 2012
I used it twice on it's maiden voyage this last weekend. Overall, it worked as expected for the price. I think I paid more for the can of fuel than the device.

As far as the function of the stove itself, it worked well at 31 degrees, 9,500'.

I did have a problem with the folding arms that are hinged with rivets. After the first use, 2 of the 4 seized and I had to use my multi-tool to close them, and again to open/close them on the second use. I will probably drill the rivets out and put new ones in that aren't so tight.

If I didn't have a multi-tool with me, it would not have fit back into it's very small package.
on January 18, 2016
I got this stove for my husband who is really getting into hammock camping and keeping his gear really light. This stove fits the bill perfectly. It is tiny but really works. It fits on the top of a propane bottle and has quite a nice little flame. The quality of the product is fantastic and it comes in its own little carry sack. I did get this for a discounted price for my honest and unbiased feedback. I would recommend this to anyone that is looking for a quality camping stove that is ultralight.
on January 12, 2016
Fairly well made, works great. The piezo click ignition lights on the first try. A nice feature to have, since you don't have to use up matches or fumble with a lighter with cold fingers. Brings a pint of cold water to a boil in just a couple of minutes. It will also throttle down nicely to a reasonably low flame, so you can cook thick foods slower without scorching them. It doesn't come with instructions, but if you're a semi-evolved bipedal hominid with opposable thumbs and a moderately developed prefrontal cortex, you should be able to figure it out. Just be sure to close the valve before attaching the gas bottle, keep the bottle upright while attaching and detaching it from the stove to avoid liquid fuel from spraying everywhere, and spin the bottle on/off of the stove rather than trying to turn the stove (which works, but is slower). And of course, place the stove on a level, solid surface where it won't get knocked over while in use. At just over $6, this stove is a great deal, and a great addition for that winter emergency kit for the trunk of your car.
on February 1, 2016
Incredible amount of heat. Very good quality. If its made in China something went wrong because it works nicely. They still have a lot of room to short change the quality and turn it to crap. Buy it now before they do this Jan 2016
on December 21, 2014
For the money, these are effective and nearly disposable. I own a Jetboil and several other camping stoves and this performs as well as any other name brand ISO/Butane stove I've used when used for what it's for. The metal is a little cheaply made and the feet that flip out on the pot support are cheap and don't really have my confidence, but it works. Even if they snap off, it will still support a pot (though I'd be careful about weight distribution and I'd keep an eye on it). It works well for smaller pots without large bottoms because the flame pattern is not wide enough for larger pots. It burns a blue flame with some flickers of orange. Flame is visible under all but bright sunny conditions. I like that.

It comes in an orange, plastic container which keeps it highly visible. I lost one more expensive canister stove that came in a black bag so I think the orange plastic case offers more protection and more visibility. This product is not "refined" and it doesn't have the quality feel of a higher end stove, but it's lasted me on several trips, it gets hot, the flame pattern is adequate (face it, smaller backpacking stoves don't have a wide flame pattern unless you sacrifice weight, but since most of the pots are small, it doesn't matter if it is a little Bunsen burner-esque) and it cooks food, from flaming high (which is noisy) to low simmer. Should it break, I'll get another.

I also recommend a backup (for any stove), though I don't want you to get the impression that this one is totally cheap and flimsy... It's just not refined. I can boil two cups of 60 degree water in under three minutes using an aluminum pot. This will support beer can pots, 700ml titanium pots, 900 ml pots up to about 1.5 liters. At that point, it starts showing hot spots due to pan diameter. I've bought the $50 canister stoves before. This has made me wonder why. It's a great find and if you decide to move on to a better one, hand this off to a youngster trying to fill his or her gear bag. These make great gifts for up-and-coming campers. I love it when I'm on longer trips and don't want to take my alcohol stove.