Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ulysses Moore #1: The Door to Time
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

If you're by chance a Snicket fan

And love that series' style

I recommend you get this one

Out of the new book pile

If breaking codes, like Artemis

Gives you a certain thrill

And solving riddles is your thing

You'll like this one - you will!

Three children find a secret door

(You may recall this plot)

They solve the clues to open it

But Narnia, it's not

The mystery lies way down below

Inside a hidden grotto

You really should try this one out

You'd be a dummy not to

Ships and treasure, ghosts and clues

With more suspense in store

The sad thing is, it's just book one

And we can't wait for more.

Rated: 4.5 stars

Amanda Richards, January 14, 2006
on April 18, 2006
I am a middle school science teacher. I have a lot of students who do not like to read. I am always looking for books that will grab a student's attention. This book definately fits the bill. I was impressed at how easy this book is to read but was still able to keep me wanting more. I enjoyed reading about the three young adventurers and greatly anticipate the second book.
If you're by chance a Snicket fan
And love that series' style
I recommend you get this one
Out of the new book pile

If breaking codes, like Artemis
Gives you a certain thrill
And solving riddles is your thing
You'll like this one - you will!

Three children find a secret door
(You may recall this plot)
They solve the clues to open it
But Narnia, it's not

The mystery lies way down below
Inside a hidden grotto
You really should try this one out
You'd be a dummy not to

Ships and treasure, ghosts and clues
With more suspense in store
The good thing is, this is book one
And now they're up to four.

Rated: 4.5 stars

Amanda Richards
88 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Door to Time is a wonderful book. I bought it for my grandson. He's twelve and thinks he's too big for me to read it to him, so let me borrow it when he was through.

We discussed it afterward and agreed that it was an exciting adventure ... fun, witty and easy to read.

Mr. Merryweather is off to a great start with the first book in his new series. All the elements that should make it a classic.

Great job; highly recommended for boys and girls. Grandparents, too. LOL
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 25, 2011
Tired of or used up the Magic Treehouse and the Secrets of Droon series? Is the Time Warp Trio getting a little repetitive? Well, this book is an excellent next step.

It's not Riordan, Nix, or Funke, but it touches all of the bases in an engaging and accessible fashion. It seems that this would be a great way to introduce a young reader to fantasy adventure, and a great way to experiment with your reader's readiness. The author's "Century: Ring of Fire" is getting all of the marketing push, but I actually like this series, and its protagonists, more.
on January 20, 2016
WHY AREN'T THERE MORE OF THESE BOOKS AVAILABLE?!?! My son and I (accidentally) read #2 first and couldn't wait to read #1- I was so surprised how difficult it was to find it and was a bit wary of buying a used copy, but it was great! It was in great condition, inexpensive, and a great story to boot- we are already almost finished. Doing some more research I found that there are many in this series but they were originally written in Italian, and Scholastic has only translated 3-4. We are so wishing for more! Thank you so much for this bonding experience for me and my son.
on July 29, 2013
If you're an adult who is the slightest bit interested in this book, then you have read other adventure books written for kids... admit it, you have. The well written ones can be a great brain vacation - a light but still mentally stimulating way to pass the time. Sadly, this is not one of those books. It's not terrible, but I found myself half way through it (thank goodness I was consuming it via audio) and only one thing had happened that was even a little exciting. Then began round 15 of the brother and sister sniping at each other and I was (bing!) done. This book may have been the set-up for a really groovy series, but I'll never know because it didn't earn my continued attention. I hit the delete button on my audio player and moved on.

I just don't see how a story that moves this slowly will capture the interest of a child. There are much better books of this genre out there. If you value your limited time on the Earth - don't spend any of it on this book.
on December 13, 2010
My son read this book for a book report at school in the 3rd grade. He loved it. It's the next step for readers who enjoyed the Magic Treehouse series, but need more description and action. His book report was a map report. It was amazing how much he remembered and in the order it happened. We originally found the 3rd book in the series and started to read it....but realized we really needed to start at the beginning. It was hard to find...we had to get a major bookstore to order the 4 book series for us......it's an interesting book written by an Italian author about three children in England.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 24, 2009
I came to this book after reading the first book in Mr. Baccalario's newest series"Century: Ring of Fire"Century #1: Ring of Fire. I thought "Ring of Fire" was absolutely excellent and so I was curious about his earlier works. "The Door To Time" is not as good. But I should make it clear that it is better than most of the children's literature that I read in the Tweener age range.

The story is about two twins --boy and girl-- who move from London to a small seaside community. The boy, Jason, has a predilection to sensing the 'other world', and is perfectly content with the move to their rambling, castle-like home. His sister, Julia, is not. She likes the hustle and bustle of the city. They are still finding their way around when they find a new friend, Rick, who seems a perfect foil for them.

The story proceeds along some pretty classic lines. Their parents are called out of town. They are left in the care of a mysterious caretaker of the estate, and soon bits of pieces of a puzzle are falling in their laps.

The author does a good job of keeping the story moving forwards. There is always some sort of action either occurring or looming in the future. And really, my only complaints from an adult point-of-view would be that the characters could have been developed more fully; the ending more rewarding. Instead, in the latter case, we have the usual semi-ending that you commonly find in series.

Overall, I think this is a series kids who like adventure should try. It has likable characters and promises to carry through in the future with lots of action in unusual settings.

Above Average : **3.5 Stars**

Pam T~
mom and reviewer at BooksForKids-reviews
on February 2, 2016
At first it's not really that interesting but once you get into like chapter 3 it gets more entertaining & mysterious. Was really a good book to read when i have nothing to do. Some parts were a little confusing but once you're done with it, it all makes sence.