Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I so love the idea of Doctor Dreadful and his appallingly disgusting creations. In this "Aliens" version, the mad doctor serves up a very unpleasant tableau in a classic alien autopsy scene. As a child, this is something that I would have absolutely loved. This is an unorthodox candy making kit that makes several different types of treats from lung bugs, to gooey guts, to gross intestines. Let's be honest, the end results are barely recognizable as edible and they certainly won't win any flavor awards but I'm not sure it even matters.

The alien autopsy figure is pretty cool. There are four distinct compartments where you put your ingredients. Then 4 AA batteries (not included) bring the project to motion as your candy is created and your creature shakes and rumbles. And while we loved doing this once, I'm not sure that we will be repeating the process anytime soon. You get a limited amount of ingredients, and I don't suppose I'll be refilling them on my shopping list in the near future.

Included:
Stir-stick/scoop
Measuring Cup
4 Packages of Candy Mixes
Instructions

Bottom Line: Cool? Yes. Disgusting? Yes. Fun? Yes. Repeat Value? Questionable. Candy Quality? Questionable.

This is certainly not a slam dunk for us, but it's perverse enough to warrant a recommendation to the little ones who aspire to be our next generation of mad scientists! About 3 1/2 stars, I'll round up to show my support of disgusting things! KGHarris, 10/12.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 4, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So when it comes to reviewing books, I remain in the driver's seat. With toys, however, I must bow before the opinion of experts. Having handed "Alien Autopsy" over to my daughters (8 and 10) both returned insistent that I include their assessment in my review. "Awesome!" says one. "Too cool!" declares the other. Both kept telling me they couldn't wait for Halloween (now I need to make a Doctor Dreadful and assistant costume!).

As an adult, I can't say I really get it. The toy consists of mixing lots of colorful jelly candies in the shape of various guts. Getting the mixing right can be a challenge, but when I asked, both said that the failed attempts were part of the fun. On the table, the whole thing jiggles as if alive. Okay, so maybe I do get it. Unlike another reviewer, I didn't find clean up to be much of a challenge -- a hot water soak did the trick and the counter cleaned with a damp sponge.

It may not be a toy that adults think kids SHOULD love, but -- at least in my house -- it proved to be one that my kids DID love.
VINE VOICEon October 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The packaging is impressive, intriguing, exciting -- and leads you to believe you're getting much more than what is inside. Inside the box, you'll find a number of little plastic bags filled with multi-colored plastic parts, just waiting for you to snap them together to create the Alien on the lab table. We finally got the little guy together --but it was hardly worth the effort. We spent more time putting this toy together than we did playing with it.

The instructions were less than clear. The very first instruction is to remove the battery pack door with a screwdriver. Hmmmmm. Where's the battery pack door? I found it taped between two pieces of cardboard. And although the plastic parts are multi-colored, the instructions are in various shades of gray, so it is difficult to tell what part goes where.

Once you get the Alien mold assembled and you've added four AA batteries (not included, of course), you're left with several plastic parts - a syringe, a tiny spoon with a hook on one end, and a tiny beaker, apparently with measuring marks on one side -- though they are very, very hard to see, almost imperceptible -- and four tiny bags of "ingredients." The total amount of edible ingredients is about 3.5 ounces -- less than a small box of Jello. You get one bag of lung bug mix, one bag of stomach mix, and two bags of intestine mix. The contents of the ingredient packets are not identified, but I'm assuming it's mostly sugar and gelatin for the first two experiments, and sugar, flour, and cornstarch for the gut experiment. With a healthy dose of finger-staining food coloring added in. Sadly, none of the bags are resealable. (Just putting the ingredients in zip-loc bags would be a huge improvement.)

There are three "experiments" to do. The "lung bug and eye" experiment involves creating a dark gray/black/purple "gummy mix" out of warm water and powder, then pouring it into the alien's eye sockets and injecting it, using a syringe, into the alien's lungs. Let set, peel & eat. Yum -- little blackish sort-of-banana-flavored blobs, somewhat similar in consistency to gummi bears. There you have it.

The "intestine experiment" involves pouring a liquid mixture into the alien's intestinal cavity, then creating a second gelatinous blue mixture iand injecting it into the alien's intestinal cavity, where it is set by the first mixture. Again, inject mix with syringe, let set, open lungs, pull out intestines, eat and enjoy! Couldn't peg a flavor on the intestines. These have a gelatinous texture -- think blue, stringy jello.

The "guts experiment" involves putting a thick, olive green "stomach mix" into a rubbery "belly pan." Turn the battery-power know and the mixture bubbles and little slug-shaped pieces that jump out of the rubber bladder and spill down the sides of the alien. Wow. You have to use four AA batteries just to boil a single tablespoon of guts. Those are some expensive guts. I thought this mixture was the most disgusting of the three-- it was dense and floury, a thick, flour water, and probably cornstarch paste, with a touch of sugar thrown in for good measure. Hard as a rock as soon as it sets. Alternatively, you can remove the belly pan from the alien, put in in the freezer -- and then eat and enjoy your frozen cookie. There you have it. You're paying quite a premium for a single, cornstarchy popsicle puck not even two inches in diameter.

After you've done the three experiments, you get to disassemble all of the parts for a good cleaning. And you'll need to get out the scrub brush. The lung bug goo has gelled in every crack and crevice of the syringe and is all over the alien parts. After you get everything cleaned up, I doubt you'll have much use for a repeat encounter with Alien Autopsy. There is no information on how to purchase replacement ingredients. And curiously, the Alien, when assembled, doesn't fit in the box it came in. So what do you do with it?

This toy is somewhat cool and it definitely comes in an impressive box. But it doesn't have much staying power. And we definitely spent more time assembling the Alien than we did playing with him. If you're looking for something fun to do for fifteen or twenty minutes, feel free to give this a try. The jumping green guts was by far, my eight-year-old's favorite "experiment" and it was pretty fun to watch. For a minute or two. But for my money, I think you're better off buying something you might want to use more than once.

UPDATE: Day two with Alien Autopsy, and much to my surprise, my eight year old came home from school and wanted to make more guts. She reassembled the Alien on her own, mixed up the green gut mix (which I've come to learn, after reading the back of box, is made of cornstarch and ground up chocolate cookies) and made herself a frozen gut cookie, along with some lung bug eyeballs (which she didn't eat). I had to do much of the cleanup. But we are up to two uses of this product. And she seemed to enjoy it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 8, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Dr. Dreadful line of mad-scientist-inspired play sets are back, having been originally produced by Tyco from the late 80s to the early 90s. These new incarnations pick right up where the old candy-making lab kits left off, though offering some much more detailed and disgusting set ups. Having the opportunity to take the Dr. Dreadful Alien Autopsy play set for a spin brought back a lot of memories, not all of them good.

First the good. As I mentioned, these new play sets are super rich in detail and offer some really fun accessories and action features. The Alien Autopsy kit is pretty disturbing, in a good way, and I had a blast injecting gummi ooze into the various nooks, crannies, and alien cavities. In particular, the bubbling, churning stomach acid cookie preparation was outstanding. The wife and I had a solid hour and a half of fun mixing up concoctions and pouring them in the various molds. I can imagine that most boys would completely flip for this play set.

The bad. Well, much like its predecessor, the actual edible candy that is produced from these sets is pretty gross, and I don't mean in appearance. The taste is truly dreadful, pun fully intended. All in all the majority of the candy would fall on the inedible scale, with the exception of the gummy lungs, where were only just bad. The science of making the candy is spot on, but unfortunately even kids would probably spit out most of this stuff.

The ugly. The wost aspect of this play set is the fact that it really does feel like a one-use product. There is an awful lot of cleaning required, before and after play, not to mention the time it takes for the candy to set (or freeze), and once you've played around for an hour or so it loses a lot of its charm. I think even kids would opt to use the molds as a set up to play with other toys rather than using it for its intended function, candy-making.

All in all, at roughly thirty bucks, this play set is a bit over-priced and the repeat play value is so low that I just can't rank it very high. That initial use is a blast though, so it's hardly a complete failure. If only the candy tasted better this might be worth the money...
on October 25, 2012
This was pretty easy to assemble and is actually very neat. It comes with a lot of the slimy candy powder and you just add water to make the "guts" and such. It tastes terrible but that's to be expected? The kids take a small bite and go "ewww" but thats the plan right? It comes with a lot of different types of things you can make, and the vibrating guts actually was very cool. Sorta mesmerizing really.

So, for a non digital toy - this is great. Let the kids get messy and such, the ways toys used to be - very hands on!
VINE VOICEon November 5, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Mix up the powder w/ some water in the alien's tummy, pour into his intestines, make a mess while doing so (a throw-away table cloth recommended). Also make eyeballs & other fun things, like "parasitic lung worms".

What kid doesn't like aliens?

Comes out a lot like "gummy candy" & goop! (No tooth brush included!)

A young into to "chemistry". Noisy, gross fun! For the younger kids when grossing out your brother or sister is priceless... When they get a little bit older, then you can buy them a real chemistry set (assuming you can find one anymore!)

Take 4 AA batteries... nest to get those NiH batteries & a charger. Probably will be a once in a while toy, but would be great gift for a "Mad Science" party! (If you've ever attended one, they are great! Break out a tesla coil (OK a small one, don't get TOO excited!) make some "playdough" & learn a little about chemistry or other science while you're at it! Lab coats for all those 8-10-year-olds! (more towards 7-10 I'd say, depending on the kids involved.)

A fun, after-party toy & get to eat or slurp the weird stuff you make in this thing. OK, a bit mindless & silly, but great stuff! I don't imagine the motor in this thing will last too long, but it'll be fun while it lasts. Much like "Gobbildy Gook" edible, if you can remember back that far!

There are other "Dr. Dreadful" things that would go great with this, as well as stuffed microbes too! (Beats a "Teddy Bear" any day of the week, AND those that are done well can teach kids about microbes too...

BTW, this is a bit of a mess to clean up, so just know that in advance... Best to have a parent to supervise!

*NOTE: Has soy & wheat, so those kids that have allergies ought to pass on this one!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My nephews Completely fell in love with this item the moment it arrived on our doorstep! They were so excited to make all the disgusting body parts and then of course eat them. Me, being the girl that I am, was not interested in eating nasty body parts. My nieces were Not interested either. But once the boys discovered that the body parts were actually a candy type substance they quickly convinced the girls in my family to give them a try. Unfortunately, the only bad part about this toy was that there wasn't enough ingredients for all of the kids to make their own body part. I'm hoping that there is a refill kit available so that they can continue their gross discovery of alien bodies.
on September 24, 2012
This is an amazing toy-- it makes alien gooey guts come alive-then you EAT it! If you've seen the animated "oobleck" videos on YouTube then you know how cool this is. The vibration in the alien's jiggling stomach makes the gooey blob undulate and move around in an un-earthly way. It appears to be alive and move all by itself in wiggly arms and joggly appendages. But then you snatch a bit of the blob and EAT it it!! It tastes kind of like cookies and cream--amazing! Kids will love it.

You can also make squiggly intestines (really instant jelling squiggles) and mold gummi bear gelatin bugs, too. All great fun!

A couple caveats:

For best results follow the powder and water mixing instructions carefully. You want to get the mixtures just right. You're really doing a science experiment about non-Newtonian physics and food chemistry while you're having fun.

It looks messy (that's part of the fun!) , but it's really not. as cleans up with a rinse of hot water. The toy comes apart and reassembles easily."
No worries about kids eating too much sugar--the 'serving size" is tiny.

...and don't inadvertently pay too much from a non-Amazon vendor. Sometime people try to resell here at hugely inflated prices. Don't get fooled--shop around!
on January 30, 2014
This is a fun toy. It takes supervision with smaller kids, but the instructions are clear and not too complicated and it works. The candy does not taste the best, but it's not bad either and you are eating guts,so it is apropos. The toy comes apart so it is really easy to throw in the dishwasher. The vibrating stomach is useless and just makes a mess, but it is not really needed.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My granddaughters love messy things that will gross out their mom. This fits the bill perfectly. They were delighted with Alien Autopsy. However, their mom doesn't like it so much -- for the very reason they love it so much (it's gross and messy).

While the refills are a bit pricey, you can use Jell-o (use only half as much water as the Jell-O directions call for to make it firm enough to easily handle).

See 1 answered question