5.0 out of 5 stars This SLURPEE Maker is GREAT
Published on November 16, 2006 by Tim Risley

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but frustrating
Published on September 12, 2005 by Gregory Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but frustrating, September 12, 2005
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 7-Eleven Slurpie Maker (Toy)
As a long-time Slurpee addict who often travels to faraway lands where there are no 7-11 stores, I had to buy one of these just to see if I could make another bad habit go global. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the product that came out of the machine; the taste and consistancy were much closer to a real Slurpee than I had expected when using Coke as the base solution. As some have noted, the operation of the unit does depend on there being plenty of sugar in whatever you're using as the liquid to freeze.

Unfortunately, the product as a whole is impractical. Setup beforehand and subsequent dissasembly/cleaning are very time consuming, and difficult enough that I feel the suggested age of 6+ is really understating things. The way the gear assemblies need to be aligned during setup is far too tricky for a typical child to handle, and I wouldn't be surprised to find some adults struggling with it. You only get 12oz of Slurpee per batch, and you'll be lucky to get three batches done before the entire center ice assembly has warmed too much to be useful and needs to be refilled to make more.

In the right hands, the Slurpee Maker can be a great toy to use occasionally, but I'm left feeling that anyone who can actually operate the product successfully is unlikely to be satisfied with how much you get out of it relative to the time investment in using it.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS!!, July 7, 2005
Wendy Balcer (Essexville, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 7-Eleven Slurpie Maker (Toy)
Do not buy this slurpee maker, we received ours and we were so excited to try it out. After putting the 4 C batteries in, and reading the instructions we crushed the ice, measured out the table salt and added the warm water and the liquid we would be using, by the time this was all done the crused ice had already stared to melt, plus trying to fit everything back together so you can turn it on took forever. The lid does not fit tight enough so it kept turing off and you had to put the lid back on. It takes 12oz of liquid and only makes one slurpee at a time that is if you can even get it to make a slurpee ours just made really cold soda. We even left it on after the recomended 5 to 8 min. This is a big rip off, save your money and put it towards the real slurpees.

1.0 out of 5 stars Before You Buy, Please read This First. TRUST ME!!!!!!!, November 5, 2005
This review is from: 7-Eleven Slurpie Maker (Toy)
Ok: long story short. I bought the slurpee maker last night. It is already repacked and ready to go back to the store. It took well Over an hour to get the machine put together. It was not the fact that the instructions were some what poorly written for I was able to figure out what to do with no problem, but the machine itself is constructed poorly. It has many steps to follow to make one batch of slurpee. Not to mention the machine has pieces that just do not want to fit together correctly and you spend a long time trying to get them to match up properly so it can close. Then you think you are home free and there is another piece to get to fit together that just don't want to. And another!!! Then when you finally get the machine all put together the instructions state to add one 12oz can of your favorite soda, so I did. You would think one 12oz can would make about 1 cup of slurpee right? WRONG! I barely got a half of a cup out. In order to make another slurpee I would have to go through all that mess again to do so. Oh and lets not forget it runs on 4 "c" sized batteries which run out quickly with this item. POOR, POOR Item. Hardly made for an adult yet along a child. I hope they can come up with a better made machine in the future. Big Disapointment!

2.0 out of 5 stars Remember it is listed under "Toys," not Kitchen Appliances, November 16, 2005
Tiffani M. Muldoon "INNER CHILD" (North Massapequa, New York United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 7-Eleven Slurpie Maker (Toy)
Ya know how adults think an easy bake oven is lame cuz it makes this itsy bitsy piece of food that couldn't satisfy a mouse; yet the kids love it? This is kind of the same thing.

Kids love it cuz its a cool toy, and it's made at home.

But unlike the no-brainer oven, the effort required for this machine can be a real pain in the neck for us grown-ups :-(

As for some people saying that it doesn't work:.....They're doing it wrong.

It DOES indeed work and makes an icee of good consistency, depending on how much intelligence and/or patience you have to assemble it properly, and carry out the very specific instructions correctly.

You will go through a lot of C-batteries. (Better stock up before Santa comes).

I agree that the warm water they say to use doesn't work as well, unless you can put it together in record time.

Also crushed ice from a automatic dispenser from the freezer is better than making snow with a blender.

You might be surprised at the high concentration of sugar you must use in order for it to freeze- and then thinking, 'I dont want my kids to have all that sugar.' But that IS really how much sugar there is in a store-bought slushee too.

I didn't need to know this.

So, unless your kids won't let up on how much they want this slurpee maker, I'd pass it over and get my slushees on the outside.

(This way I dont have to be reminded of how unhealthy this stuff is that my family and I are drinking).

Or, if you have the financial means, invest in a real one from housewares.

I'll repeat another important note that others have written:

IT WILL NOT MAKE DIET/SUGAR-SUBSTITUTE SLURPEES

1.0 out of 5 stars TOTAL GARBAGE - DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY, November 27, 2005
This review is from: 7-Eleven Slurpie Maker (Toy)
This toy is a total piece of junk!! I purchased this toy for my 10 year old who really wanted this for her birthday. When we tried to make a slurpee, we found that the machine is extremely hard to put together. The directions are very easy to follow, but the pieces do not easily fit together. There is no way that a child would be able to do this by themselves. My husband had to slide the top lid on for us as it would not move, and even he struggled with it. Once we finally got the ice, salt and soda in the machine and had it set up correctly, we turned the machine on. After about 30 seconds the machine turned off as it was making the slurpee. We kept turning the switch off and on which would make the machine start up again for another 30 seconds, but the machine is supposed to run for 5 - 8 minutes in order to produce the slurpee. There is no way that the motor on this thing is strong enough, especially since it runs on batteries to run for 5 - 8 minutes churning frozen soda. Trust me, this item is truly a piece of garbage and is packed up to go back to the store tomorrow.

I wish I would have read the reviews before making this purchase. I would have saved myself a lot of time.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a piece of junk., September 5, 2005
Roger J. Smith (Stamford,Connecticut) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 7-Eleven Slurpie Maker (Toy)
Mine did not even get one slurpee made.

It kept freezing up and stopping.

THIS THING IS GARBAGE.

5.0 out of 5 stars This SLURPEE Maker is GREAT, November 16, 2006
This review is from: 7-Eleven Slurpie Maker (Toy)
This SLURPEE machine works great. I've read the reviews and I must say there must be allot of people that can not follow instructions. For those that can't follow instructions you need to understand that you are creating a chemical reaction using ice, warm water and salt. All must be precisely added as instructed or it will not work. The instructions say it will make up to 12 oz's of SLURPEE but I have found that I can easily make 20 oz's at a time. (It just takes a little longer.) Don't expect instant results, it can take about 15 minutes to get a good SLURPEE but it's worth the wait... If you can precisely follow instructions and have a little patience, this machine is absolutely great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad for Slushees, GREAT FOR DAIQUIRIS!, October 4, 2005
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 7-Eleven Slurpie Maker (Toy)
I love big blue Icees. I thought by getting this I would be able to recreate that magic in the privacy of my own home. It is loud and sincerely needs a plug instead of batteries. 4 C batteries? Are you kidding? Just let me plug it in to the wall. It's a little loud, I had to muffle it with a pot holder.

My Strawberry Fanta was alright, and I've been meaning to try the new Blueberry Jones Soda, but we got bored last night and tried making Daiquiris. PERFECT! Besides its kind of cool making Daiquiris in a slushee machine.

Its also cute and convenient enough to sit on a self in an office.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of Crap!, October 16, 2005
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 7-Eleven Slurpie Maker (Toy)
I was excited to try out this slurpee maker. I ignored the reviews and thought I would try it myself. I followed the instructions and the drink never froze. I left it on for 20 minutes and it did not work at all! Get a high-speed blender/smoothie maker instead!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a toy., July 15, 2005
Klisk (Wayne, NJ; United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 7-Eleven Slurpie Maker (Toy)
It's a toy, not a real slurpee machine... Which is why I'm kind've disappointed with it, but let's be reasonable. For the price, would you really hope for a Slurpee machine you can leave on 24/7 and get drinks from? It's what I wanted, but this is unrealistic if only because it's battery operated...

It's extremely loud, too. That's bad.

But let's be realistic, how does it make Slurpees? Well... If you follow the instructions, and do it correctly, it actually makes an amazing slurpee that tastes great and has a nice consistancy! It's not the same as a real slurpee, but let me explain.

I used arctic green apple kool'aid to make my Slurpee. My result was a frozen drink that was soft, and very much like the consistancy of wet snow. I think that explains it best, honestly.. It's like a cup of wet snow that is wonderfully flavored. Not entirely thick, or watery, but both. Not icey, but snowy. It tasted wonderful. I would love to use this to make drinks all the time, but...

The fact that it's loud, only makes one cup at a time, can't be left on 24/7 like a real slurpee machine, and is battery operated.. Well, that ruins it for me.

But it does what it advertises too, and I have to keep remembering it's just a toy.

So yeah, it does what it says it'll do. I think us Slurpee fans just want a little bit more, though...

7-Eleven Slurpie Maker