Save Big On Open-Box & Preowned: Buy "Umbra Conceal Floating Bookshelf, Small, White” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 15% off the $13.00 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Preowned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Umbra Conceal Floating Bookshelf, Small, White
|Price:||$12.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35. Details|
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Conceal floating book shelf by umbra mounts to the wall and becomes invisible behind a stack of books
- Constructed of powder-coated steel; mounting hardware included
- Supports up to 15-pound of books; maximum stack height 8-inch
- Size: 5 by 5 by 5-1/2-inch; fits small to medium books
- Patented, award-winning design by miron lior; portion of proceeds donated to pratt institute school of art and design
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Size: Small | Color: White
From the Manufacturer
Umbra Conceal Book Shelf
For a fresh, ultra-minimal look, the Conceal bookshelf from Umbra mounts to the wall and becomes invisible behind a stack of books, giving the books the appearance of floating in mid-air.
Attach the sturdy, L-shaped steel Conceal Shelf to the wall with the included mounting hardware.
Place the first book so that the shelf ledge is between the pages and the back cover, using the two hooks underneath to hold the back cover in place.
Stack additional books on top of the first book until the Conceal Shelf is hidden from view. This gives the stack of books a floating appearance.
Available in two sizes, the Large Shelf holds up to 20 pounds of medium to large books; the Small Shelf holds up to 15 pounds of small to medium books.
The Conceal Shelf, designed by Miron Lior, is a winner of the annual Umbra-Pratt Institute Design Competition. A portion of the proceeds of the sale of this product are donated to the Pratt Institute School of Design in New York City.
Each year, students of the Pratt Institute's Industrial Design program are invited to submit their designs to a panel of judges, who award the products that best reflect the Umbra design sensibility and incorporate originality, wit and manufacture-ability.
Winning designs are considered for manufacture and distribution by Umbra. If the design is put into production, the student and the Pratt Institute receive a portion of the proceeds from the product's sales.
“Design is at the center of our business at Umbra. We rely on bright new designers to fuel our creative growth. We are honored to be able to work with distinguished design schools like Pratt and talented new design graduates.” -- Paul Rowan, Co-Founder, Umbra
Top Customer Reviews
I put a few up in my small living room next to my TV and a IKEA wall-shelf. It looks great and it does hold up a lot. But how much does it hold up? That also depends on your books.
One tip: To know when to stop piling more books on, use your hand and push down from the top a little bit. If it starts to shake and feels quite heavy, it is time to stop and leave it at that.
Definitely worth getting and I'm ordering more right now. I love them and they are original, something different to decorate with. I have one set up as my Library book shelf. LOVE IT!
Installation was extremely easy -- just screw the shelf into any wall normal wall (e.g., drywall, paneling). No anchors are needed. I was a bit skeptical at first and expected for the books to fall or the shelf to bend, but no accidents after over a week. All in all, these shelves work well and are an interesting way to display your books. I just think that they should be a bit less expensive, as they're basically metal brackets; hence the four stars.
* It can really dress up a drab wall. Much more eye catching that just a bookshelf or photo.
* It's easy to install. Just need 3 screws.
* You have to be choosey with the type of books used. The ones I planned to use were too deep and too heavy. The whole thing sagged. The pictures on the Umbra site show some with a whole stack of books. I wasn't able to get more than a couple of hardcover books on it, without the sagging occurring. Wish they had used slightly thicker gauge metal. For the price charged, they could afford it.
* The single version has 2 mounting holes one above another, so it offers more support. In this double version, it has 3 holes, just slightly above the shelf, in a horizontal row. This might limit the weight bearing capacity.
* The bottom support book only provides support if other books provide weight on the wall side. It also assumes the very small support "hooks" stay engaged on the book cover. If a guest decides to pull a book down to look at it, it is very likely the whole stack will come tumbling down. This should be considered a decorative solution, not a way to store books you will frequently use. Be ready to yell "don't touch those" if you seem someone reaching for them. I would not put anything breakable below these.
Despite some gripes I really like these and they look great on the wall. I think there are some things they could do to improve them, but overall I'm satisfied. I'm recommending them.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Supports all four of my school textbooks. warning though, be sure to put this on the wall where there is a stud behind where you're putting this or else the weight of the books is... Read morePublished 2 days ago by Lucas M.
I would like to say that I absolutely love love these shelves. They hold up amazing and are very modern and take up no space at all. Read morePublished 3 days ago by olga
Really glad I purchased this little discreet shelf. Came ready to use right out of the box. Super easy to install. Highly recommend!Published 8 days ago by William Engel
I really want to purchase more for me and I did order another one for my daughter.Published 12 days ago by grand
These look freaking fantastic! Super easy to install, and holds a lot of weight when screwed into studs.Published 16 days ago by Amazon Customer