4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Looking Frame
I was pensive about purchasing this frame because of the negative reviews. Still, I thought I would try it out. I'm very glad I did. This is a very nicely put together frame that can be used for a variety of things.

Published on October 7, 2010 by Rosie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, poor build quality
I bought several of these frames this past holiday season so to give some 8x12 photographs as presents. Amazon packs these frames well, but alas the glass was still broken on one. Having this sorted out with Amazon was anything but smooth, however I am here to rate the frame not the retailer.

For the price, these frames are a decent value for framing 8"x12"...
Published on January 11, 2011 by paazel

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, poor build quality, January 11, 2011
paazel (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Umbra Document Series 11-Inch-by-14-Inch Frame, Black (Kitchen)

For the price, these frames are a decent value for framing 8"x12" prints. Decent. Nothing more.

These frames are aesthetically pleasing and are very easy to assemble. I would suggest wearing rubber gloves while handling the glass, as to minimize fingerprints. The first problem is the adhesive used to hold the sample paper between the panes of glass. It leaves a residue even after taking acetone to the adhesive. Secondly the frame itself is made not from wood or plastic, but a foam composite. Dropping it on carpet caused the frame irreparable damage. But again, you get what you pay for. In the future I would look for a sturdier frame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Looking Frame, October 7, 2010

I used it to frame a custom-made 11x14 poster I had printed. You could also use it for 8x10 photos, documents, even a variety of 4x6 photos. It's a "floating" frame so the options are unlimited.

It's nicely put together and looks great on the wall. I will be buying more. You wont see any frames like these at the store - and you especially wont fine one for such a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great frames for the price., September 13, 2009
I've bought a lot of these Umbra frames in different sizes. They tend to be about half the price on Amazon than what they are at my local Art supply stores. They're pretty much the best bang for the buck I've found. Don't worry about damage in shipping like broken glass, Amazon overcompensates. I bought a bunch of 8X10 frames and the boxes were gigantic. The frame was packed in its normal packaging and put in a Amazon box using filler. That box in turn was put inside a larger Amazon box, once again surrounded by filler.

The frames are well made, they don't look like something you'd find in Wally World. The ones with two pieces of glass are supposed to make it look like the photo is 'floating' in space. Keep in mind that your wall shows through, so that your wall color becomes your matte color. I did fit a matte into 2 of mine, just needs to be the same size as a piece of the glass and its easy. That also gave me the added advantage of having 2 extra pieces of glass I used to replace other cracked or broken pieces. (Still need some more, moving killed me.) I want to paint my 'picture' wall dark green, but that will mean matting all of the 'floater' frames I have.

I need to buy a bunch more frames to create another 'picture' wall. I'll get some of the European clip frames because they are really cheap, but I'll buy a variety of Umbra frames for my better work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not built for magazines, June 30, 2012
I searched amazon.com by typing in "magazine frame" I guess I didn't double check how thick the documents were allowed to be but this definitely does not house a magazine. I was in the middle of decorating the room with a few magazines on the wall and purchased these frames--they didn't work. But instead of returning them I put comic books in them (a lot thinner) and still looks great. The build is just what I expected for what I paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality for the price, November 5, 2010
I bought one in late October to frame a print I bought from one of my favorite photographers. I was hesitant at first because of the price, but since I also had free two-day shipping, I figured "why not?" I'm glad I bought this one, honestly. Not only was it well-protected during shipping and arrived on time, but it looks great with black and white photography. The double layers of glass (one for the front, one for the back) give your photo, poster, or document extra protection. It's definitely worth the $[...]. Even the photographer that I bought the print from was surprised that the frame went so nicely with his photo. I definitely plan on buying another one of these frames soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A++, September 13, 2011
Doones (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews
Very nice frame, easily opened and very easy to put my picture into. Have not tried hanging it yet but the hooks on the back are definitely suitable :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, June 11, 2011
Brian Kravitz (Ivyland, PA United States) - See all my reviews
It's a frame, and it holds my picture well. My only complaint is that the top plastic bar bends a bit when hanging on the wall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Them!, May 20, 2009
I used these on a colored wall with black & white photography inside. The glass around the perimiter of the picture really allows for a "pop" if theres a painted wall behind. Very classy and fresh looking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but..., July 26, 2011
Bought this frame for my diploma, 11"x14". It floats nicely in the frame and the simple black frame and double pane glass looks great.
But the wood used is very light and does not hold itself straight. When hung in landscape, the weight of the glass caused the side with the hangers to bow revealing the the square frame backing.
This is probably because of the inadequate amount of glue used to hold the front glass pane to the frame. The other 3 sides are held in strong, but the important side with the hangers did not have as much glue and the glass is not glued to the frame. A bit of superglue fixed that issue, but would have liked to have gotten a perfect frame in the first place.
I think I just got a bad one, but overall a very nice frame for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth the Frustration, January 10, 2012
After spending approximately 30 minutes trying to separate the two pieces of glass, the front glass cracked completely across the middle. The "tool" that's supposed to be used to separate the glasses is a plastic tab that's sticky on one side. Unfortunately, only one corner of the black glass moved at all when pulling the tab. I suppose for two hours I could have tried reapplying the tab at each corner and pulling it back again, but the tab broke as well. Horrible product, STAY AWAY!!!