Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

A friend of mine who knows I'm interested in nutrition/wellness books recommended this to me. I hadn't heard of the author Meghan Telpner before my friend recommended it, but it sounded like it would be right up my alley, and it definitely is! If you're new to a whole-foods diet, this would be a great book to get since Meghan explains all the reasons why eating in such a way -- what she calls an UnDiet -- is beneficial.

Based on the title and sub-title of this book, I bought this thinking that it would be a cookbook; however, it's not so much of a cookbook as it is a book that outlines how to make changes in your diet and life. The chapters are broken down by topics such as the benefits of eating real (not processed) foods, drinking water, giving up caffeine, cooking more, doing meal/recipe planning, setting better habits, cutting back on your trash/environmental waste, and storing your food in safer ways.

The one thing I didn't like is that the recipes are scattered throughout the book without any kind of rhyme or reason, making them a bit more challenging to find. There are 35 of them, and each chapter ends with maybe three or four recipes that have no correlation with what the previous chapter was about. At the end of the book there is an index and a meal plan to help you sort through the recipes and find what you need, but I personally find it easier to have them all located in one place.

I had also been expecting the recipes to be vegan not only because my friend who recommended it is vegan (as am I), but also because the use of "plant-based" in the title led me to expect the same thing, so I was surprised to see that some recipes call for eggs. I'm not marking my review down for this, but it did surprise me a bit since most plant-based nutritionists focus on not eating animal products.

In the introduction to the book, Meghan wrote a sentence that really resonated with me: "The way I see it, the UnDiet lifestyle is a bit like yoga -- it is a practice. All we can do is just keep practicing, hopefully getting a little better every day, as we continue to learn new things and incorporate a little more into our lives." The idea of not being perfect and of easing into a healthier lifestyle is such a terrific way to approach these changes. Instead of beating myself up if I eat something "bad," I usually try instead to remember that each step I take towards nourishing my body is a step in the right direction.

Overall, Meghan's upbeat attitude is fun, and I like this book a lot! Even if you already have a good knowledge of plant-based eating under your belt, this book still gives good tips about meal planning, goal-setting, etc. that made it worthwhile for me. If you're new to this lifestyle, then this would provide a good foundation for you.

If you're interested in plant-based cookbooks, I'd recommend The Beauty Detox Foods: Discover the Top 50 Beauty Foods That Will Transform Your Body and Reveal a More Beautiful You,Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family,Forks Over Knives - The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year, and Practically Raw: Flexible Raw Recipes Anyone Can Make.
on May 11, 2013
UnDiet is an absolutely amazing fun way to let go of rules (think counting calories and much more) and learn to eat foods that are whole, unprocessed and absolutely amazing for your health. It's about making small shifts in your life that bring around big changes in all aspects of your life.

Meghan is an amazing teacher of all things healthy. It's not just about food, but she opens your eyes to where your trash goes (there is no such thing as "AWAY"), how your cleaners affect your health and the environment, how the products you use on your body affects your health, how to slow down and make eating something to enjoy and even how to love what you do and do it with love.

If your not familiar with Meghan, hop on over to her blog and check out some of her amazing video's and recipes. Meghan spreads her wealth of knowledge in such a fun way, that you can't help but want to learn more.
on April 2, 2013
Undiet is so simple and tangible, and yet revolutionary. As someone who has struggled with my weight and health for years, I cannot begin to express my gratitude to Meghan Telpner, her team and this book. Meghan's holistic approach reminds us that making lasting change requires taking inventory of our life and the choices we've made advertently and inadvertently to this point. The best part is, it really is an "undiet", there is no calorie counting or obsessing about portion size, and the book is full of easy delicious recipes that truly satisfy any craving. Beyond that there are other helpful tips and topics covered like how to organize your fridge and prep for the week,including a gorgeous large photo of the contents in her inspiring fridge. The biggest take away for me after reading this book is being mindful of what I put in and on my body. This book is about building and celebrating health and having fun while doing it, I love it and refer back to it often.
on April 28, 2013
I just received my copy last week and have already read it twice!! I love Meghan's no-nonsense yet "gentle" approach. Reading this book is like having a conversation with one of your girlfriends at the kitchen table - the girlfriend that has all the answers and knows just what to say!! I can not say enough good things - Megan's upbeat inspiring tone has me wanting to be a true wellness warrior and spread her secrets to true health to anyone that will listen! I have already ordered copies for all my friends and family.

If you're sick and tired of feeling sick and tired - or even just feeling "okay" on a daily basis - you NEED to read UnDiet! It will inspire you and change your whole outlook and food, health, and life - so that you can feel fabulous too!
on April 9, 2013
I found Meghan about 3 years ago when I was searching the web frantically for a way to help my son who was diagnosed with Crohns disease. Her blog spoke to me with wit and humor that I desperately needed during the darkest part of our lives. Day after day I was drawn back to it, learning and laughing and at some points crying (for all the things I just didn't know about food). My son's journey was long and difficult but I continued to make things that were healing for him. Three years later I am so thankful to God for his healing hands and to Meghan for her straight forward teachings and truely yummy recipes. I was so super excited when she announced she was writing a book! Her joy for life just jumps off the pages and makes you want to be the best version of you possible. A must read for every mom (and dad) who want to give their kids (and feed their kids) the very best our beautiful earth has to offer!
on May 7, 2013
The principals behind smart eating are easy. Meghan lays out everything you need to be healthy and eat right, mostly common sense. I like the way it was written and would suggest to to someone looking for an easy read.
on April 2, 2013
Whether you've tried everything else, or you're looking to try something to bring well-being into your life - this book is it. The Undiet philosophy is something I was slowly coming to realize through my own experiences, various resources and plain trial and error. This book presents everything in an undaunting and fun way.
Meghan's fun personality shines through - it's like a book written for you by your best girl friend. Along with anecdotes, the book is filled with information, tips and advice on how to put principles into action and make it easy.
There's also tons of recipes included through the book, along with a transitional plan on Undieting your life. Tons of inspiration. I like how it's not about nutrition, but also about the other aspects of your life. It's a lifestyle! There's tons of info on natural beauty, the environment, and goal setting.
I've completed the 3-day test drive and have tried and loved the recipes, and just how much easier it was to prep food ahead of time so I can make the best choices.
It's a comprehensive guide to un-do and question all that you've known to be "right". If you feel like there's still more that can be done to make life so much sweeter - here's your guide!
on May 26, 2013
I came across Meghan through the Internet a few years back, when I found an ebook in which she had written of her healing journey. When I first started reading, I had no idea how that our lives could have run so parallel to each other. I, too, suffered from an undiagnosed illness, had numerous doctors appointments and so many tests....all inconclusive. I tried using food to heal - and that is exactly what happened - healing! Through the last few years, I have read hundreds of books on healing, visited with naturopaths, chiropractors, etc.... and what I have been striving for in life is what Meghan describes. Some books seem so hokey when describing an "enlightened" way of living. Not Meghan. She is real, down to earth, fun, and living proof that this Undiet approach to life works. Granted, I still have food allergies that prevent me from following all the recipes, but her wisdom in this book resonates with my soul. Time to simplify, declutter, and live mindfully. I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone. Following the advice in the book will help people become better versions of themselves (instead of being like someone else) and will help folks save money too. Wonderful book, thank you, Meghan!
on May 5, 2013
Practical, honest and funny approach to health and nutrition. Delicious recipes and lovely storytelling. Thank you - I will be buying this for everyone I love.
on April 1, 2013
Meghan Telpner's book, UnDiet, is such a wonderful resource--I have read it twice in its entirety, and constantly go back and refer to different sections as I work through transforming my diet and life UnDiet-style. I love that she breaks down the basics into easy-to-implement steps. Each chapter is broken down by topic, and she covers everything from the most basic concepts (staying hydrated) to the more complex (nutrient breakdowns and beauty products) in a way that is easy to understand. Her enthusiasm for the subject matter shines through on every page--and it's contagious! I love that the book concludes with an 8-week plan about transforming your diet and lifestyle--it looks easy to implement, and doesn't require taking on too much at once, as it's broken down into baby steps. I highly recommend checking it out if you're even the slightest bit curious about the UnDiet lifestyle. UnDiet: The Shiny, Happy, Vibrant, Gluten-Free, Plant-Based Way to Look Better, Feel Better, and Live Better Each and Every Day!