This film is playing at a variety of organizations and universities and I was lucky enough to see it. It is a huge eye-opener, so I did some digging and pulled information from wherever I could to explain best what Unacceptable Levels is all about.

Published 11 months ago by Compusurge

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
This documentary addressed a number of issues I was made previously aware of in other documentaries along these lines. I would recommend it for someone who does not really keep up with environmental issues, and really does not want all the gory details either.
Published 7 months ago by California Jack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. THIS FILM CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF ENOUGH PEOPLE WATCH IT., March 31, 2014
Compusurge (New York City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unacceptable Levels (DVD)

Over 80,000 chemicals flow through our system of commerce, and many are going straight into our bodies. Even our unborn children are affected. Due to this constant exposure, we have approximately 200 synthetic industrial chemicals interacting with our cells every single day. Until recently, modern science really didn’t understand what that could mean for all of us in the long run, but that is now changing.

Unacceptable Levels examines the results of the chemical revolution of the 1940s through the eyes of affable filmmaker Ed Brown, a father seeking to understand the world in which he and his wife are raising their children. To create this documentary, Brown traveled extensively to find and interview top minds in the fields of science, advocacy, and law. Weaving their testimonies into a compelling narrative, he presents us with the story of how the chemical revolution brought us to where we are, and to where, if we’re not vigilant, it may take us.

"Brown embarks on a quest for answers about chemicals that could be affecting the health of his children. What he discovers affects every living creature on the planet." - Nancy Swan, Director of Children's Environmental Protection Alliance

Globally, disease rates are on the rise. Theories about the causes abound, yet the issues are complex and often muddied by the maneuvering of political and corporate interests. To explore different facets of common chemical exposure, Unacceptable Levels was made in consultation with experts in multiple fields and is guided by a father on a personal journey as he attempts to bring these issues to light for everyone. Its primary goal? To determine whether we can prevent disease before it strikes us.

Unacceptable Levels opens the door to conversations about the chemical burden our bodies carry so that we can make informed decisions now and in the future. The film poses challenges to our companies, our government, and our society to do something about a nearly-unseen threat with the inspired knowledge that small changes can generate a massive impact.

Winner: Yosemite International Film Festival
Winner: Filmambiente International Film Festival
Winner: Fife International Film Festival

Official Selection: Lincoln Center Green Screens, San Francisco Green Film Festival, Wild & Scenic Film Festival and more…

FEATURING

• Ralph Nader, Author, Getting Steamed to Overcome Corporatism
• Dr. Devra Lee Davis, Founder and President, The Environmental Health Trust
• Stacy Malkan, Co-Founder of The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
• Ken Cook, President and Co-Founder, The Environmental Working Group
• Christopher Gavigan, Former CEO of Healthy Child Healthy World and CPO of The Honest Company
• Dr. Alan Greene, Pediatrician, Author/Feeding Baby Green
• Dr. John Warner, President & Chief Technology Officer, The Warner Babcock Institute for Green Chemistry
• Andy Igrejas, Director, Safer Chemicals Healthy Families
• Dr. Jennifer Sass, Senior Scientist, Natural Resources Defense Council
• Dr. William Hirzy, Fluoride Action Network; Former Chemist in Residence, American University
• Dr. Richard Clapp, Professor of Environmental Health, Boston University
• Dr. Tyrone Hayes, Biologist, The University of California Berkeley
• Jeffrey Hollender, Former CEO, Seventh Generation
• Randy Hayes, Founder, Rainforest Action Network

WHAT'S BEING SAID ABOUT UNACCEPTABLE LEVELS…

• “Unacceptable Levels is a hugely important film… Sadly, most Americans are misinformed or not informed at all about how many toxic chemicals we are being exposed to 24 hours a day. These toxins are making us sick and quite simply our lives are being threatened. We need to stand up and speak out. We must demand a healthy environment for ourselves and for our children.” - Mariel Hemingway, Actress, Author, Healthy Living Advocate

• “This movie makes it impossible to hide behind the numbers. It not only changes the way that you look at the world, but the way that we look at ourselves.” - Randy Hayes, Founder, Rainforest Action Network

• “With this remarkably important film, Ed Brown captures the seamy side of the chemical revolution and forces us to confront the need to make the future safer than the past.”- Dr. Devra Lee Davis, PhD, MPH, Founder and President of the Environmental Health Trust, author of Disconnect: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation

• “Such an important and powerful film! This is a story you need to hear.”- Stacy Malkan, Co-founder of the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics and author, “Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry”

• “Unacceptable Levels is Powerful. It tells the story of toxic chemicals in just about every aspect of our lives, and the egregious lack of regulation. Our ability to protect our families is at stake.” - Joan Blades, Co-founder of MomsRising.org & MoveOn.org

• “This film is a huge eye-opener! Once a parent sees this, they thankfully won’t ever approach their child’s health & future the same way ever again!” - Jessica Capshaw Gavigan, Environmental Advocate and Actress

• “This movie is a must see for all of us whose vision is a future free from toxic chemicals… policy makers, CEOs, educators and parents alike.” - Erin Switalski, Executive Director, Women’s Voices for the Earth

• “From the products we use, to the food we eat, to the air we breathe, Unacceptable Levels documents how prevalent toxic chemicals have become a part of our everyday lives. Ed Brown uses the powerful connection of family to illustrate how broken our system has become, and why we must do something about it. Our children’s futures depend on it.” - Gigi Lee Chang, CEO, Healthy Child Healthy World

A portion of the proceeds from sales of this film will be donated to HealthyChild.org

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. THIS FILM CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF ENOUGH PEOPLE WATCH IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!, May 22, 2014
This review is from: Unacceptable Levels (DVD)
Ed Brown is a regular guy who gets scared by what's in his home as he begins raising a young family. He investigates the chemicals in our household products, toys, food, drinks, etc., finding that they are scarily unregulated and untested. Ed learns fast, as we the viewers do in this fact packed but emotionally charged film. A plethora of experts helps us understand what some of the causes of allergies, asthma, ADHD, autism, cancer and other modern day scourges may be ... and no surprises for guessing that toxins that we've allowed into our lives may be the culprits. It will change the way you live. Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Opening, June 18, 2014
This review is from: Unacceptable Levels (Amazon Instant Video)
I found this to be an eye opening documentary. The director hopes people will pick one thing to investigate further. He has inspired me to do just that. I have encouraged my friends to watch this video. It covers a broad spectrum of issues and serves as an introduction to the many challenges we face in our country.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, July 9, 2014
California Jack (Central California) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the kids, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Unacceptable Levels (DVD)
I can't recommend this film enough. Not only is it chock full of eye-opening information gathered in interviews with highly articulate experts, but it manages to be entertaining and even charming. Shots of talking heads are interspersed with images of the day to day life of Ed Brown's kids as they discover their (worrisomely toxic) everyday world. This repeated focus on these 2 little ones served as a constant reminder to me that it's all about our kids. The subject matter of this film is highly disturbing, and yet it's full of hope.

3.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money, Don't Bother, November 5, 2014
This review is from: Unacceptable Levels (Amazon Instant Video)
This documentary only earned 3 stars because while the maker asks us all to make a difference, I couldn't get past the fact that both of his children featured prominently throughout the film were wearing disposable diapers. The focus of how our (humanity as a group) lives are overtaken by a plethora of unknown and untested chemicals via our food delivery systems and the chemicals we come in contact within our homes, left a lot unexamined.

Is there a problem? Absolutely, there is, when so many of the things we in the U.S. continue to produce products that are banned by many other countries because of the known carcinogenic properties that they embody. Yet, I got the impression that the filmmaker really didn't want to alarm us. Why spend extensive time asking important questions then lobbing softballs at the solutions?

It is known that many children are now being born with serious chemical sensitivities and the incidence of childhood cancer is increasing not decreasing. The sterility in both men and women today is also alarming and the number of couples seeking treatment for infertility is now a booming industry. Can we really shrug our shoulders at the possible causes? I was saddened by the motivation behind this story, the miscarriages suffered by this couple and their search for answers; yet, I felt for the most part, I felt like I was watching their home movies because the prominence given to their two toddlers (yes, they are adorable).

Unfortunately, I didn't learn anything new, so if you have a working knowledge of the poisonous pesticides being used on plants and the lack of corporate accountability in our system, then this isn't required watching. I would recommend Food, Inc., Food Matters, Ingredients, The Gerson Miracle or The World According to Monsanto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educate yourself, June 20, 2014
This review is from: Unacceptable Levels (Amazon Instant Video)
Everyone should watch this. Educate yourself. We are poisoning ourselves every day and we don't even know it just buy our food and everyday things around us

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow- so good! I honestly wasn't expecting such a genuine perspective, August 7, 2014
Lindsey W. (central Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unacceptable Levels (Amazon Instant Video)
Wow- so good! I honestly wasn't expecting such a genuine perspective. The director and featured experts are clearly well rounded and highly educated. I was veritably starstruck by the names and faces I watch deliver the inarguable case against toxic exposure. Certainly, the wool will be lifted from the viewers' eyes upon watching this brilliant exposè. I am very pleased I purchased this rather than even just renting. Either way, it is A MUST SEE, especially if you or someone you know has chronic health problems,cancer, learning disorders or other forms of cognitive, emotional, or behavioral issues, etc....or if you or someone you know has or plans to have kids someday. Thank-you Ed, for your time, energy, and devotion to helping the truth come out. Let's all do something about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars It is always great to see an independent get interested in a subject ..., September 17, 2014
Mr. Mark Langenbacher (Francistown, Botswana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unacceptable Levels (DVD)
It is always great to see an independent get interested in a subject and do some real digging and reporting on it and this is what this documentary is all about. It exposes the risks that are not widely known about many products and chemicals that many of us come into contact and ingest daily. It also exposes the risk, or lack thereof of regulation and warnings concerning policies and products. This is real eyeopener and should be viewed just as personal health protection and awareness of the possible effects that chemicals can have for your personal health. It also highlights how pollutants are recycled (and not in a good way) back into the food and water chain we all depend upon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and informative, November 13, 2014
This review is from: Unacceptable Levels (DVD)
This film is informative and motivational. With the barrage of info available on toxins it is easy to feel overwhelmed; however, the filmmaker succeeded at making a film that inspires people not just scares them. A former commenter stated that the filmmaker seemed hypocritical because he urged the audience to make a difference but that his own children were featured wearing disposable diapers...The older child didn't wear diapers at all and the younger child was wearing cloth GDiapers which are a very 'green' option for those interested. This is a great film to share with anyone, but especially with new mothers and fathers!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›