Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 27, 2012 8:26:02 AM PDT
Cincinnatus says:
Full disclosure: I am a bald, fat bellied, out of condition male slob. That would automatically make me racist, careless about women and probably as far right as Attila the Hun. My favorite book is, "The Prince" by Ole Nick. My favorite play is "The Merchant of Venice" by Ole Will and my favorite opera is "Don Juan" by ole Wolf. My profession is sports medicine.

I will buy this book because there is one comment in this book that I simply have to check and recheck again. Ms. Wolf consulted an expert in skeletal medicine who informed her that it was a crumbling of her vertebrae that lessened her orgasmic capability and intensity.

Fixing these neural misalignments and the resulting surgery to reconnect the vertebrae so that she can have "the `blended' clitoral and vaginal orgasms" that will return women to "the sense of deep emotional union, of post-coital creative euphoria, of joy with oneself and one's lover... and the sense that all was well in some existential way, that [Naomi Wolf] thought [she] had lost for ever."

I wish I had the capability of writing this profoundly, but I ripped off the previous paragraph from althouse.blogspot.com.

My only comment is "So that's why I am unable to land a woman. I have gone around just crushing all of those vertebrae in so many women."

Additionally that's a lot of sadness out there. So many women running around with crushed vertebrae. I need to change my opening line to "You look sad. Let me check out your bones."

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 11:59:37 AM PDT
Jim C. says:
It's probably just as well this book doesn't have a "Look Inside" option.

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 9:34:23 PM PDT
D. E. Howe says:
This woman's been a disgrace to Feminism for quite a while now. She's a fluff-brained nitwit whose world is essentially what she sees in her mirror.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 9:32:00 PM PDT
Flaminga77 says:
I kind of wish there was a "see inside the book" option to give me some idea of whether this is an exercise in exhibitionistism or if it really has some value. I have always questioned her contributions to feminism and her intellect in general due to her subject matter, but her educational credentials are pretty impressive. Is being a Rhodes Scholar less of a challenge than one might imagine?

I will say, I can't help but note that at least the 1st two posts are by men. It does make me wonder if they simply think this part of the female anatomy should just be seen and not heard from.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 9:16:46 AM PDT
Cincinnatus says:
Any part of the male/female anatomy can speak. But is it saying something interesting? In this case it just seems pointlessly exhibitionistic and totally bizarre. I allude to the fact that Ms. Wolf wrote the above sentence's while looking outside her NYC window. I am not sure if I even want to empathize with her. It just demeans her and her anatomy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 10:53:56 AM PDT
Flaminga77 says:
I checked a number of reviews on this book, and none fo them were positive, although one nearly had me in stitches. She speaks of being punished for releasing the book -- being that it's a naughty word and all, I guess. She's being punished, all right, but probably not qujite in the way she imagined. She is being mocked relentlessly:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/sep/05/naomi-wolf-book-vagina-feminism?CMP=email

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 12:11:55 PM PDT
Cincinnatus says:
And yet she feels quite cutting edge, quite intellectual and wonderful looking out the window of her apartment in NYC. I just feel horrible that we don't have her edginess, her intellect and her epic sense of literacy. As the lumpen proles and the kulaks we just don't have her grasp of her female nether regions. Its sad really. Its time for a trip to Trader Joe's and have a cup of free coffee.

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 1:56:28 PM PDT
Flaminga77 says:
Think of the variations on this theme: PENIS: A LONG STORY; NIPPLE: AND WE'RE NOT MILKING THIS

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 7:09:39 PM PDT
Mariah says:
um... she was a rhodes scholar. i agree the title is lacking but fluff-brained she is not. maybe the fluff-brained editors at wherever could have come up with a more interesting title?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 7:10:35 PM PDT
Mariah says:
lumpen proles make their way to trader joes? really?

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 9:28:45 PM PDT
Flaminga77 says:
She was a Rhodes Scholar, but she does write in a fluff-brained sort of way. Here's another endorsement: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/books/review/vagina-a-new-biography-by-naomi-wolf.html?ref=books&pagewanted=all

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 6:56:08 AM PDT
Cincinnatus says:
Ah, I see, being a Rhodes scholar exempts you from the rules of writing a good book. Being the lumpen proles that we are we will en masse run out and by her book. It has the imprimatur of awesomeness that is Naomi Wolf. I read a book by Maria Carolina de Jesus (a Brazilian woman), who wrote about her life in a favela (the slums) of Brazil. If you can read that book without crying and agonizing you are a stronger person than me. Don't recall that she had a Rhodes scholarship. In fact she sold used newspapers for a living. If Ms. Jesus can crank out a book that can make people weep, might we not expect Ms. Wolfe to crank out a book that would garner other emotions besides yawning?

As to lumpen proles in trader joe's? Yes we do go there and look askance at the shade grown, fair trade organic coffee and smile wryly and head over to the free coffee dispenser. Then the lumpen proles head over to McDonalds and get their coffee for a dollar. Then we head back home and purchase McDonald's stock because they have an awesome business model. You should try it. The greatest gift given to lumpen proles & kulaks are anonymity and the personal computer.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 6:58:42 AM PDT
Cincinnatus says:
oops!! lumpen proles make spelling errors because they don't have editors. The first sentence should read "... we will en masse run out and buy her book."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Aug 27, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Vagina: A New Biography
Vagina: A New Biography by Naomi Wolf (Hardcover - September 11, 2012)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (118)