Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Halloween

on October 14, 2009
I don't quite know how to describe how great this game really is...I just sat down for 15 hours straight and couldn't put the controller down until the end of the credits. This game combines everything and anything you could ever want in a movie, a game or any entertainment experience. Uncharted 2 has incredible characters, wonderful story, some of the best acting I've ever seen (Not just the voice acting, but the actual animations of the characters, their facial expressions), everything is done so beautifully I'm absolutely speechless. Among Thieves exceeded the hype in my mind, it immerses you in this incredibly detailed and lush environment, seamlessly bouncing you back and forth from gameplay to breathtaking cinematic wonder, and most often, combines them both at the same time. Just the attention to detail is astounding. I wish I had a better vocabulary so I could give this review justice but you should just see for yourself! You will not regret this purchase one bit, the multiplayer is even fun! If you own a PS3 and don't have this game, then you should sell your PS3.
3939 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2009
I'm sure if you're reading this you've already read countless other reviews praising the game for it's superb voice acting, mind blowing graphics, wonderful story telling, and it's riveting gameplay. I'm only writing this to enforce all of these things and hopefully tip you over the fence into buying this game immediately. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves contains almost every element that was in the first and improves upon it. For those of you who haven't played the first game it is essentially Gears of War meets Tomb Raider + Awesomeness all rolled into one. For those of you who did play Uncharted: Drake's Fortune you're all too aware of how short the first game was and I'm pleased to tell you that this game is substantially worth it. Not only does it last about 3-4 hours longer buy it features something to do when you're done, multiplayer. The multiplayer is essentially what you'd expect from Call of Duty 4 with and a 3rd person twist and several unique modes to shake up the formula. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is like buying a three entree plate from Panda Express. It leaves you completely full and satisfied and although you'd happily enjoy another serving of Orange Chicken you can leave the restaurant knowing you got what you paid for. Buy this game and enjoy it because although it's built upon the qualities of other games, there's really nothing out there quite like it.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon October 13, 2009
I promise to make this 100% Spoiler free, but I must say that after experiencing that which is Uncharted 2, this game is pretty solid indeed. If you enjoyed the first Uncharted then this one will be an extremely enjoyable experience. This game lasts more than 2-4 hours longer than the previous one, tops the cake for having some of the best cinematics, graphics, and sound experience offered on the PS3.

One of the features that I was a bit weary about was the multiplayer because I do not really consider myself a multiplayer fan,however, I must say that that which is in Uncharted 2 is enough to last those who just like multiplayer games a long time. There doesnt seem to be anyway to do offline multiplayer however, for an experience online (with up to 3 player co-op), and about 10 people in the deathmatch modes, there is little to crave. It seems that they developed an amazing Single player experience and added a great multiplayer experience.

Ultimately, with a heartpounding action packed story, a landmark presentation value, and exciting multiplayer and single player modes, I can not really find anything to criticize the game for. (well perhaps the most criticism would be the amount of logo's on the back of the boxart, or even the at times difficulty of AI).

One more thing, the game has trophy support, headset support, (upcoming twitter support), a multiplayer shop system (to buy skins, and boosts), future DLC, and unlockables.

Please add this game to your PS3 library.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2009
It's been a couple of weeks since the bomb that is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves has dropped. Did you get caught in its blast? Or have you avoided its fallout? If you have then I say what the hell are you waiting for?? Go get contaminated!

It's not all the time a game like Uncharted 2 comes around. A game that will say hello to you, then grab you by the neck and slam you around the room a few times, stop, then kiss you a bit and get you all emotionally connected only to take your lips 2 minutes later and tuck them between your legs and pull them up over your ass so fast it'll make your head spin right off your neck. Ok, so that won't literally happen, but if you were to take that energy, passion, climactic intensity, and overall jaw dropping action and crush it all up into one neat little ball of beauty, power, and downright coolness, then you my friend might as well call that little ball Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

You should know the story by now. You're the hero, who goes on a journey of personal fulfillment, only to find yourself in a situation where you have to save to world. It may sound big scale because it is. The way the game starts equals that of most Hollywood blockbusters. And know, that it does not let up.

From start to finish all you will find yourself doing is sitting on the edge of your seat wanting more and more. It has been said that this is not a game, but more like an interactive movie. The nail couldn't have been hit more dead on. The way the story rolls with sequences that take control for seconds at a time and are so fluid you don't even realize you're back in control of the character are amazing to watch. The timing of the action, the dialogue, the scenery, there is absolutely nothing small about this game and it let's you know that with every shoot out, car explosion and helicopter chase. The level of detail from a murky jungle to the ruins of a lost city, would be done no justice by explaining them with nothing but simple words. The character designs, not just the way they look, but their attitudes, their demeanor, the way they act and the things they do, all will leave you loving, hating, laughing and mourning with every step they take, every thing they do and every word they say.

There are moments where you're hurt and can't run at full speed. Moments where you'll be dragging someone around and you feel it in the way you walk, you feel the tense moments of trying to shoot someone with your one free hand. It's almost as if the people of Naughty Dog sat down and asked what would be the most over the top things to experience in a game? And amazingly, without a lack of polish, or quality, they managed to have you saying "no effing way, did that just happen?!" over and over again.

Now, being over the top is not necessarily a good thing. But when it's scripted moments that when thought about, you can actually see happening in the given situation, then over the top is definitely a good thing. Thinking realistically, the outcome may not always be the hero coming out unscathed, but then again, like I said, this is a Hollywood blockbuster type game. So don't expect anything less.

Now, as far as negatives go. It really is hard to sit and look for something bad in something so good. But being on the last leg of my second playthrough of this averaged 10-12 hour game, I can honestly say there is almost nothing I can point out and say this is a flaw. I'd love to sit here and say there is but there really isn't. The only solitary thing I noticed on my second playthrough is the issue of trying to take cover on a wall when it is right next to another wall. The proximity of the two walls make it a little difficult to attach yourself to the one you want to if you're not looking at it at the right angle and it can leave you open for a serious hurting at the wrong time. But like I said, that was noticed on my second playthrough so it's not even really a problem or issue, more of a gripe. Other than that there are people who will nit pick and say something wasn't rendered right or say that's B.S., that can't ever really happen, but when it comes down to it, as far as gameplay, mechanics, background environments, and story go, this package is virtually flawless. The flaws of the first game have been fixed and improved upon, the animation is on point and like I said, the characters make you feel like you know them. I can promise you, if you enjoy playing video games, and enjoy a story driven experience then there is nothing that will stop you from loving this game.

Now, as far as multiplayer goes, I've given my impressions on it before. You can find it here: [...]. And it all still stands. The multiplayer mode of this single player monster was always worried about. But in the end it turned out to be a solid piece of work that surprised a lot of people. It's fun, it's addicting, easy to get used to and full of things to unlock and use. It captures the essence of the single player experience amazingly well and you can't help but feel like you walked out of the store buying 2 games for the price of 1. The only problem with the multiplayer is that more than likely, by the time you read this, a monstrous behemoth of the multiplayer world known as Modern Warfare 2 would have came out. And no matter how amazingly great the multiplayer of Uncharted 2 is, there are few that will be able to contend with the likes of what Infinity Ward is going to bring to the online table. And it's because of that fact this aspect of the game will be considered a lost gem for online players in the near future.

Ok. You've seen the videos, you've read the reviews, and heard the praise. I'm telling you nothing different. Since day one I've had the pleasure of enjoying Uncharted 2 and couldn't be happier. I know this is more of a commercial than a review but it is so hard not to love this game, and even harder to find something wrong with it. Everything I've said is as close to the truth as I know it. There are honestly no games out there that I can say I've completed and not 5 minutes later, started all over again just for fun. The replay value is grand with 100 collectible treasures cleverly scattered throughout the game. Trophies with matching in-game medals that will net you money to spend on their little storefront where you can buy behind the scenes movies, and various items that you can use and apply to a very robust multiplayer if Modern Warfare 2 isn't your thing.

All in all Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is thee must buy for any Playstation 3 owner. Sure, you can rent it, just be warned that by the time you finish it, or maybe even start it, you're going to be wishing you didn't have to send it back and that it was all yours to play whenever you want. This is what gaming is all about. This is why I have a passion for my hobby. And it is the reason why I love my PS3 again.

On my rating scale, I give this experience a stunning:
5 Water Bottles Full of Pee, out of 5.... (that scale should be self explanatory)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2009
This is one of those games that will keep you glued to your TV for hours until you manage to beat it or your bladder explodes, whatever happens first.

Right from the start it will submerge you into its world of friendship, adventure, action, betrayal, mystery, and love. The heroes are so likable that you wish they were real so you could go have a beer with them.

But the story is not the only thing that shines, the graphics are just breath-taking and the controls are very responsive. This time around I enjoyed the stealth sections.

And I'm only talking about the single-player campaign. I was afraid multiplayer would be an after-thought, yet the Dogs managed to create a very solid and entertaining experience, not to mention addictive.

But enough blah blah blah, if you like great games get off your chair right now and go buy it!... You're welcome :)
on October 14, 2009
First, before you read this review go buy a copy of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves NOW! This is the most spectacular, mind blowing, jaw-dropping game I've ever played and I've been playing them since the days of Atari. I'm about three-quarters of the way through the game and I'm still seeing amazing gameplay aspects that makes my jaw drop and ask how in the world did they do that. I really don't know how they got the graphics to look this awesome but they did. The lighting, water effects, character details, weapon details are all the best I've seen in a game. The way light shines off stuff will make you go cross-eyed from staring too long.

The voice acting of not just Nate's character, but even the minor characters are top-notch. We're talking Hollywood A-list acting! The comedic lines are put in just the right places at the right times. The gun fire and explosions will immerse you in the game like it's been never done before. The story was fantastically written, as well. This is almost literally like playing a summer Hollywood blockbuster movie! There's so much action going at a frenetic pace that you'll sometimes feel overwhelmed. But that's a very good thing in this case because the use of weapons is a seamless and flawless experience. As easy as the weapons were to use in the first Uncharted they seem even more improved this time around. There are many climatic scenes and climax you will! The train scene will leave you gasping in amazement!!!

From what I've read, this Uncharted is at least several hours longer that the first one. Awesome! That seems true seeing as though I'm 75% through Uncharted 2 and the time I've invested in it so far is about the same as what it took me to beat the first one. There's so much goodness to be had in story mode that it's ridiculous. To top it all off, we also get a co-op mode and a multiplayer mode that should add countless hours of fun to the mix. Both of which I've yet to play. There's so much to do you'll be playing this one until the end of the year. Is this going to be Game Of The Year? Well, I think it will come down to this or Call Of Duty 5. My money's on Uncharted 2 winning it. If Uncharted 2 were a painting it would hung in The Louvre because it's a masterpiece

This is the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. A game has never blown me away quite like this one. I give it a perfect 10 out of 10 score or 5 stars out of 5... this is one of those games that only comes along once in a great while and one of those that if you could you'd give it an 11 out of 10 score because it's that freakin' amazing. Highly recommended without hesitation. If you don't like this game you're either nuts or don't like video games! Naughty Dog I praise you immensely for you have mesmerized me and spellbound me beyond belief... if you have only one game you can get this year this be it!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 17, 2010
As someone who's never played Uncharted, I was initially afraid that Uncharted 2 would be hard to follow and get in to. I was pleasantly wrong.

Here are my quick impressions:

+ Excellent level design gives you illusion of freedom - you won't feel as if you are following a linear level progression.
+ Amazing Story, always fun and interesting while never coming across as too self absorb or melodramatic.
+ Cool, likeable characters.
+ Lengthy Single Player Mode for an Adventure/Shooter Game (26 chapters in all).
+ Excellent Variety of Unique Multiplayer Modes along with standard Deathmatch, Survival, and "Capture the..." game modes.
+ Great stat tracking.
+ Lots of collectibles - 100 treasures to find during the game and a ton of unlockable skins/modes/weapons/mods which will really impact your game experience.
+ Great (as in fun) melee system

- Sometimes has lengthy match finding during multiplayer. Isn't an issue with longer game modes (Co-op survivor), but can drag down the experience of fast paced death matchs.
- Controls are sometimes bad when attempting to do precise things like moving from cover to cover. This may ruin your ability to do stealth kills.
- Certain scenes have problem issues. This doesn't happen a lot, but you really notice it during certain parts where you have to climb/jump specific sections to progress or find treasure.

= You can shoot the animals littering the game's levels, but you can never kill them. I did shoot a monkey in the face, where upon it howled and fell of a tree - hilarity ensued.
= The main character kind of reminds me of the Captain from Firefly (Nathan Fillion)
= Tons of trophies and challenges

Overall I had a blast playing this game, and would definitely recommend it for anyone who enjoys adventure games or first person shooters.

As a frugal gamer, I often rate games by whether I would buy it full price, new on sale, used, rent, or never at all.

Final Verdict on Uncharted 2: Worth the full price!
on January 2, 2010
I rarely have time these days to play games, which has more to do with a demanding job than any personal feelings I've had of late concerning the lackluster offerings for my Xbox 360. But this Christmas season (2009) brought a change to my previously lack luster gaming enthusiasm when our bedroom TV died and we replaced it with a new HD set. Accompanying the new TV was a PS3, which was originally slated to be a media center and Blu-ray player - remember I already have an Xbox 360. However, during Christmas my wife bought Uncharted 2 for me after a friend told her about the game. I'm sad to say that this game was left unopened for most of the Christmas holiday until a few days ago, when the family went to bed early and I was too worn out to work.

What followed that night was an experience I never thought possible from a video game...

Imagine, a movie. Not just any movie, and certainly not a film from modern-day Hollywood, with its ridiculous FX budget and lackluster story, plot and characters so thin you can swear when they move just right they're damn near transparent. No. Instead reach back to the days when movie making was about story telling. Imagine a historical treasure hunt encompassing the best elements from movies like Casablanca, Raiders, Lawrence of Arabia and even the recent Cage film National Treasure. Now picture yourself being an active participate in such a film, and you can only just begin to understand the sheer thrill this game brings to the PS3.

Gameplay - and you might have to forgive me, as again I'm not an experienced gamer - is fantastic. The way the developers at Naughty Dog have literally blended the gameplay with small transitional cut scenes and longer cinematic ones moves the game along at such a pace that putting down the controller, for even a few minutes takes a rather strong will (or a really weak bladder). The end result is a game that keeps you on pins and needles through the story's twists and turns and quite literal cliff hangers. The voice acting is actually superior than a lot of animated work coming out of Hollywood these days and the animated characters themselves display such a wide range of emotions and expressions that you nearly forget you're watching a computer generated scene. The actual character development is terrific, and as someone who didn't play the first Uncharted release I found the reveals of Drake's past handled perfectly as the introduction of a previous character (no spoilers here) didn't feel forced or odd. As the story develops (at first with a Pulp Fiction flashback-esque flair) and Drake's adventure unfolds the seamless story+gameplay+character development makes you feel as though you are participating in a cinematic masterpiece instead of playing a video game.

That night when I finally opened Uncharted 2 was the first time in nearly 10 years I spent more than a simple hour moving my thumbs over the buttons of a console controller. That night, for those brief eight hours I wasn't simply playing a game, I was experiencing an adventure.

Buy this game, and if you just own an XBox 360 - like I did, go out and buy the $299 PS3 and Uncharted 2. It's that good; you won't be disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 13, 2009
The single player story mode is superb. It combines a lot of different aspects ranging from an all out shooter to platforming and even some stealth. The story is well written and the cutscenes are superbly done. The graphics are top notch, the best of any game and any system so far. The multiplayer is also very fun. It comes in two different modes: standard multiplayer and co-op. The stardard multi comes in your everyday modes of eliminiation, deathmatch and pretty much every mode of standard multi that has ever been invented. The co-op comes in two forms, either a story line mode or survival mode. The story line mode allows you to play a similar scene from the single player game but with 2 other people. The scenes look almost the same as the single player game but are different in their own way. The survival mode is just as the name implies but there is also another variation of it where you have to carry a treasure chest all the way back to your base in order to succeed. Basically the multiplayer modes are a compilation of the best modes from all other games. I highly recommend this game to anybody that owns a ps3 and the best part is that there is no installing the game or loading during the single player.
VINE VOICEon August 9, 2010
I'm just joining the chorus to say that this game is really good. I'm not much into the genre of kill-everything, shoot-everything type games, but this game had me intrigued from the beginning and then it started getting even better. Although there certainly is a lot of shooting, killing, and throw-down, there's also a lot of suspense, beautiful graphics, great acting, and an interesting story-line.

It was actually the Shambhala related story-line that intrigued me. Shambhala is a mythical kingdom that comes from the Kalachakra tantra cycle of teachings in Tibetan Buddhism. It is the origin of the term "Shangri La" (a mispronunciation of Shambhala). As someone very interested in the Kalachakra tantra, I was wondering what this storyline would be about. How amazing that the main character, Drake, is after the Cintamani stone (Wishfulfilling Jem -- familiar to all Buddhists) on a chase that takes him to the mythical/mystical kingdom of Shambhala. There is even a point where Drake finds himself in a Tibetan village, and everyone is speaking Tibetan. (Perfect, real Tibetan -- a language I've studied!) At various places, a giant statue of Vajrakilaya, a phurbu (ritual dagger), dorjee (vajra) and various other Tibetan-related artefacts and references come into play. So, that's an added bonus if you're familiar with all this. If not, at least it's of some educational value for people who may not know much about Tibet and its endangered culture. So props to the designers for doing their homework.

But, of course, what keeps one's interest are the hair-raising chases, near-misses, and the excellent storyline involving two lovely ladies and some really remarkable graphics and acting. What more could you want? The game has my heart pacing most of the time I'm playing at it. Probably good for me, for cardiac health, but maybe not advisable if you have a weak heart!