Uncharted 3 Ending, specifically Elena and Drake

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2011 12:44:08 AM PDT
stevie says:
Ok, so most people probably have not read my review. I really loved the game play but felt vastly underwhelmed with the story. The character development in this game was also poor. I didn't feel like we learned enough about the characters and where they are headed. Also, I don't like the submersive style of storytelling anymore. At the end, it left me feeling as if i had no idea what even happened despite being told. Specifically, I was wondering about elena and drake. So we assume they got married or are engaged? Why did sully have the ring and not drake? And if they were together, why was nate so hesitant to ask for elenas help? And why did they act like they had not seen each other in five years? I just wish we could get more details. Would it have been that much trouble to just give us some more info naughtydog (shaking fist at heavens)?

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 11:04:21 AM PDT
B. Watts says:
It seemed like they were engaged but one of them broke it off. That was probably why Drake was surprised when he saw Elena wearing the ring.

But I agree the game should have been more clear about a lot of this stuff. In general I thought the story paled in comparison to the second game. The bad guys here didn't appear to have any actual motives. I know Lazarevic (sp?) wasn't exactly the deepest bad guy of all time, but at least in Uncharted 2 we understood who he was and why he wanted to find the stone.

I also really disliked how the bad guys had Drake and Sully dead to rights at least half a dozen times in Uncharted 3 and always ended up letting them go. I realize they aren't going to kill the main character, but it's just sloppy writing to keep putting characters in those positions only to have them easily escape every time with no repercussions.

The set pieces went a long way toward making up for the shoddy storytelling, and the banter was just fine, but overall the story lacked a lot of polish.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 4:17:09 PM PDT
T. E. Maddox says:
I assumed that they were married but separated. That would be the only reason Nathan would have a ring.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 4:47:54 PM PDT
J. says:
Thought the story was perfect, myself.

Those were wedding rings, not an engagement ring. It seemed fairly obvious to me, and was actually skillfully done by inferring and showing, rather than simply resorting to telling, what happened. It's the mark of good writing, though I suppose we don't see much of that in video games. The short of it; sometime between UC2 and UC3, Elena and Drake were married, and then rather quickly estranged. It's plainly hinted that the estrangement was because of Drake's inability to put those around him ahead of his own need to prove himself over and over. He discarded the wedding ring, or lost it in some off-camera action, and Sully, knowing drake as he does, recovered it and held onto it for him until he came to his senses again, which we see at the end of UC3.

As for the bad guys having them "Dead to rights" - sure. Their escapes were hardly Deus ex machina though, and there certainly were repercussions. Perhaps you missed the entire theme of the story - Talbot and Marlowe couldn't get to Iram on their own. They played Drake like a fiddle through most of the game and managed to trick him into leading them straight to Iram. As such, they -couldn't- just kill him. Once they got there and didn't need him any longer, they did indeed try to kill him.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 5:43:08 PM PDT
stevie says:
Except for none of that is normal behavior and you have to guess to fill in the behind the scenes information. How do you know they were estranged? Yes, elena hints he shouldnt make others go through hell for him, but that dosnt mean they were not together more before the game. You have to assume all of this because they never give the player anything but hints. Personally, its not my preference. It's a story. Must everything be a hint? Even if they were estranged, it is meaningless. None of these characters grew in any way. It ended the same as the last one. How many times can they meet pretending like they dont care about each other and getting into fake arguments? I think it stops after this game. I think the writers honestly have no clue where these characters are supposed to go. They just thought this idea of an every man action hero was cool and called him Nathan Drake. Its just my opinion. Thanks for the comment.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 10:13:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2011 11:24:08 PM PDT
Actually Perdisis has it right on, you have to pay close attention to some of the scenes and listen, remember in the lost city when Sully and Nate reunite after Nate's hallucination after drinking the tainted water that also showed the reason for the actions of Talbot and Marlowe. Also you have to pay attention between the interaction of Elena and Nate on the Bazaar level and the airport level scenes it also gives you information on what's happened. About knowing about their estrangement between Nate and Elena if you payed attention in the intro when they reunite at the airport Drake is sort of surprised as he points out that she's still wearing the ring Elena at first thinks he's wearing their ring too around his neck until she realizes it's not their ring but France's Drakes ring that Nate wore before their relationship and you see her disappointment as he seems to have once again put his quest before those people in his life he loves and cares for instead.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 6:30:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 6:32:02 AM PST
B. Watts says:
<< As for the bad guys having them "Dead to rights" - sure. Their escapes were hardly Deus ex machina though, and there certainly were repercussions. Perhaps you missed the entire theme of the story - Talbot and Marlowe couldn't get to Iram on their own. They played Drake like a fiddle through most of the game and managed to trick him into leading them straight to Iram. As such, they -couldn't- just kill him. Once they got there and didn't need him any longer, they did indeed try to kill him. >>

That would make perfect sense if Marlowe and Talbot weren't constantly sending throngs of bad guys with guns at Drake and Sully. Those bad guys weren't exactly looking to take them alive. I would know, as I died several times to them.

It also didn't make any sense at all that they gave Drake to some random pirate to have him killed instead of doing it themselves. I realize the point of that was so that Naughty Dog could throw in the awesome cruise ship level, but story-wise it was really stupid. It's not like Talbot had any qualms about killing people throughout the game. Why outsource killing Drake? It served no legitimate purpose in the story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 11:27:53 AM PST
stevie says:
their are many inconsistencies with this game. I consider myself a huge fanboy of the series. I loved the last two. But some of these people are seriously homers. They wont acknowledge anything wrong about this game. The gameplay was the best of the series in U3 but the plot was the worst. It just asked to you ignore or suspend disbelief way too many times.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 6:20:33 PM PST
what did you think of the ending though, I wish the boss battle had been more inclusive of the player, I also agree that Marlowe's motives would have been more interesting to explore. They were given but the ending didn't resolve them enough, Drake tried to save her but I wasn't sure how that was a conclusion to there relationship? Was he living up to the name he had supposedly stole (a revelation I particularly liked though some say Marlowe was just lying, not if you look at Drake's face though), or was it just a weak writing device that they didn't want him to be heartless when the woman villain died. I'd rewatch to see but they unfortunately removed the cutscene theater which I always loved.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 6:25:11 PM PST
I think the writing being subtle is great, I do wish the ending had had a larger hint at where the series would go, the happy ending of the first felt earned, the reveal at the end of the second was dramatic, this time felt like a mash up of the previous two. I also wish the characters would refer more to the crazy things that happen like they did in the first, now they act as if they've always seen this occult stuff and huge cities sinking into the ground, it becomes like Indiana Jones 4 a bit

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 6:26:53 PM PST
Can anyone explain why Charlie Cutter shot talbott but he didn't die? Was he hallucinating? Why didn't anyone react and say he didn't shoot him if he thought so strongly that he did?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 6:30:20 PM PST
I agree there, but ND admitted to having levels designed before story and characters and then they had to work backwards to link their set pieces, sort of unfortunate but still an awesome game. I wish they had made the ship level Marlowe's and put it somewhere before Yemen to have Drake and Sully need to sneak on to get the ring back or something like that rather than just making it that weird pirate guys when he had no point or development, the other sad part was tossing in the arabian guy with the horses but then having him vanish and not developing him, the exact opposite of what they did with Tenzin who was a well developed and well utilized character

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 6:38:05 PM PST
On a humorous note, why the hell did the pirate guy have a fake body made up to look like sully with sack on his head, not sure what his plan was though I get he was an idiot. Did he know Drake would escape and find the ship? If so why the hell did he let hundreds of his men get killed in the meantime? Then when Drake did get to the fake sully what was his plan? Drake sees its not Sully and the pirate thought what? That he might start telling him what he wanted to know, what the frig was his plan? Why couldn't it have been Marlowe's ship and she escaped via helicopter after Drake stole back a piece of vital info before escaping the sinking ship? Doesn't that sound more plausible?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 8:21:29 PM PST
stevie says:
well, im afraid I have no theories for those questions. In fact, you raise more questions that I missed. As far as talbot goes, that was one of the most egregious errors. Talbot was not revealed to be a super natural character so its confusing there, also the part where talbot just dissapears into nothingness. As far as the boss battle goes, I liked it better than the last game. But Uncharted 1 probably had the best because it was like a level. But uncharted 3 was more exciting, but the ending after was lackluster.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 9:00:44 AM PST
A. Lindsey says:
I love the Uncharted series more than any other series, but U3 left me desiring a little more. Personally, I would still like to know the story of what really happened that separated Nate and Elena to be a little more developed (again, just personal preference). Also, the Talbot vanishing into thin air incident and getting shot by Charlie, but having no effect of being shot (i.e. dying) kind of threw me off a little bit. And the real name of Nathan Drake... what is it? Though they may tackle that obstacle in a later installment. Overall, I really wished that Nate and Elena's story was a little more 'fleshed out'. Don't get me wrong, U3 was fantastic, but I'm thinking since U2 was just soooo EPIC, I was just a little bit let down with this one. Again, don't think I'm bashing it, it was an awesome game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 4:30:42 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 7, 2011 4:33:16 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 5:02:41 PM PST
another thing that bothers me slightly is that the game didn't let the player explore levels as much as previous games, the plane wreck was the first thing advertised and I thought it would be a huge piece of the game, much like the train was last time, but here we see the plane, have a short and quick prompt command fight on the plane, it crashes then we land and have a cut scene. I was really excited to have a major gunfight amidst the wreckage, even if they didn't want guys to have survived they could've found a way for more to show up without leaving Drake a vehicle. I love the game, game of the year for me, but I still feel they didn't utilize their set pieces like in previous entries.

The island in the first was so well used, double back over certain areas multiple times but always in different revealing ways, the train in the second was used for like three or four very different levels all very distinct from the tunnel to the helicopter attack to the climbing up to the wreckage fight, not to mention the train yard assault. I was really looking forward to more scenes like these in the third but instead we got awesome set pieces that didn't last long enough, they could easily have made the game another four chapters by simply playing out the set pieces they already had, I also found the sneaking onto and later escape from the ship to be too easy and I was playing on hard.

If anyone agrees at all let me know, starting to feel I'm the only one who loves the game but wished there had been (not more) but better utilization of the amazing things they already had

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 11:04:17 PM PST
stevie says:
I also felt the plane scene was a huge missed opportunity. Not only did you not explore the crash site as you suggested, but nothing interesting happens in the plane either. I thought there would be a huge battle inside the plane. Instead, the plane inexplicably catches on fire (very quickly, was it because of the wires or something holding the truck?). You then have a very brief fire fight, if you can even call it that. I was playing on hard and died, from my memory, at least three times as there was almost no cover because everything was sliding around. Then before you can really engage the enemy, the plane just splits in half and you get sucked out the side. They also could have added a little more emergency in the cruise ship level. The water is not rising as you try to climb out. I would not have minded if it was timed even. Just dosnt make sense how its filling up and then tips over, but then kinda stops filling up. Of course, this is why you cant explore anything because every level is being destroyed (chateau, ship, and plane: the hallmark levels of the game). I wish they would have traded one of those for a more open ended (slower?) experience.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 11:43:00 PM PST
nothanks.Oo says:
Maybe they plan on there being dlc that will allow you to explore plane wreck etc.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 6:34:16 AM PST
Could this be because of the book of Uncharted that is being written and letting us know more about the details? Uncharted 3 for me feels more like an uncharted 4 with a gap of story missing between the two games. I liked the game but it was confusing at first. As I play it a second time, now i seem to understand it better.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 7:32:07 AM PST
Ace Man III says:
I am a huge fan of the series and I agree with a lot of folks here that the UC3 left me wanting some more. The story got weird when I saw Drake and Elena having wedding rings and I felt wait Am i missing something or is this weird..also Chloe and cutter kind of disappear after Cutter breaks his leg which is weird ..I believe Chloe should have been a part of it till the end ( Maybe cuz I am a girl ) and the last thing that kind off put me off was the Talbot battle in the end (if you can call it that) I played the game first in hard mode and it was extremely easy to beat . I think it should have been more tougher ..Also I think I like the multiplayer of Uc2 better cuz here no matter how much I shot players are like bullet sponges but nevertheless this game was totally worth it and I definitely want to see more from this series.P.s I really like Nate as a a kid cocky and cute .
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Playstation 3
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Playstation 3 by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (1,066)