‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars High-quality blocks my toddler enjoys, February 13, 2012
Gene Koo (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uncle Goose Chinese Character Blocks (32 pcs) (Toy)
These are a great set of blocks with multiple uses. Each block corresponds with a basic word like "bird," a picture of which appears on two face. One picture is subtitled with the pinyin (Romanized pronunciation). On a third face is the Chinese for that word; on a fourth, stroke-by-stroke instructions for writing that word. The fifth face features a number, and the sixth, a piece of a puzzle. When assembled, the puzzle shows a map of China, a dragon, and the word "China."

These are premium-quality blocks that are hefty and easy for my 20-month-old to hold and stack. The edges and corners are a little sharper than usual (not sanded down to a curve), but that hasn't been an issue, and makes the puzzle more satisfying when assembled.

I will say that the snarky comment on the box about buying Chinese toys that are made in the U.S. turned me off. Yes, I'm willing to pay extra for this toy that's made here in the U.S., but since these toys are clearly targeting people who want to learn more about China, the politicization seems unnecessary and off-key.

Overall, a great toy with lots of educational value. Worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality hardwood blocks, October 7, 2011
John Cierra (Palo Alto, CA United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Goose Chinese Character Blocks (32 pcs) (Toy)
There are few blocks with Chinese words on them, but even if there were competitors, this would be the set you want. The size is the traditional large blocks, and these seem exceptional quality, with solid feel and crisp edges. The colors are bright and the lettering is clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars These Language Blocks Are Not Just a Toy!, December 14, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Goose Chinese Character Blocks (32 pcs) (Toy)
These Chinese language blocks are not just a children's toy, though they are certainly just right for children. I purchased a set from Amazon for my Anglo-Chinese godchildren as an aid to their learning that side of their heritage. I was so impressed -- each block includes pictures, English and Pinyin words, simplified characters, a side that shows how to write the character, and a side that is part of a puzzle map of China, all in bright colors on good, solid wood -- that I ordered this set for myself. I keep them on the breakfast table and study one block a week to expand and reinforce my own meager Chinese vocabulary. I highly recommend these (they come in several other languages as well) for any child or adult who wants a fun way to improve their Chinese. Some familiarity with Pinyin is helpful but not absolutely necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars A grandfather's perspective, September 24, 2011
Gary Mauser (Burnaby, BC CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uncle Goose Chinese Character Blocks (32 pcs) (Toy)
My wife and I bought this toy for our 3 year old grandchild because he speaks both Chinese and English. These blocks give him a great learning experience. His mom makes up language and character learning games which he loves.

I strongly recommend this toy for pre schoolers. Grandparents and parents alike will be able to see the child's delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, but in simplified Chinese, January 10, 2014
This review is from: Uncle Goose Chinese Character Blocks (32 pcs) (Toy)
I bought these for myself and 2 of my friends, and everyone loves them. It's a very unique product, and it's very educational. My only minor complaint is that they use simplified Chinese characters (vs. traditional). I understand why they do, but depending on what you want your child to learn, where you're from, or what you know, you might not like that it's simplified. I just wish they offered these block using both types of characters!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and great for learning!, March 6, 2014
This review is from: Uncle Goose Chinese Character Blocks (32 pcs) (Toy)
I bought these Chinese blocks for the three boys (3 y.o. and under) that I nanny for. The first time we opened the box and began to play, the 3 y.o. said, "These are our favorite!" over and over. The blocks have been a hit ever since. They love learning the number and animals. We haven't gotten to writing the characters yet, but I am excited to teach them that. Also, the pieces can be put together to form a map of China, the Chinese flag, a dragon and the word for China in English and Chinese.

The couple things that I would say as a "negative" about these blocks would be that the edges are not rounded, so they can hurt if they are thrown across the room. Also, there is pinyin (pronunciation system) for the animals on the blocks, however there is no pinyin provided for the numbers. Thankfully, I know Chinese, so I am able to help them with that.
(For anyone who would like to know how to pronounce the numbers, I recommend getting the free app called "Pleco." Just type anything in and there is a button you can push to hear the pronunciation.)

Overall, a mostly perfect buy for my 3 boys. Great fun and great for learning!

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, August 9, 2013
This review is from: Uncle Goose Chinese Character Blocks (32 pcs) (Toy)
These are beautiful blocks that are light, well-made, and brightly colored. My 1 year old loves to play with them. One caveat, they are blocks in the true sense, meaning they don't have rounded edges. But they are certainly made to last as a child grows with them. The sides are structured as follows: 1. a Chinese character in red, 2. the same Chinese character in yellow along with the English translation, 3. a picture of what the character means along with the pinyin of the character, 4. A graph of the strokes to write the character, 5. a number written in Chinese characters with along with the English translation, 6. a portion of a puzzle. When all 32 pieces are placed together for the puzzle it forms the PRC flag, a yellow dragon, and a map of Mainland China.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good! except that embossed surface easily messed up by water., January 19, 2014
This review is from: Uncle Goose Chinese Character Blocks (32 pcs) (Toy)
This is great quality and just want I wanted.

Two drawbacks so far:
1) edge is a little sharp. Not safe to just let my 1.5 year old throw them around (like our other building blocks).
2) the surface with embossed characters will expand (!!) when stained by water. Well.. my son is teething again, drops of drool cause ugly bumps on the blocks. This is a little surprising to me...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Teaching Aid, June 18, 2014
This review is from: Uncle Goose Chinese Character Blocks (32 pcs) (Toy)
These blocks are great to be used as a teaching resource for children (and even adults). The stroke order is a great plus to have for older ones. The picture to help in retaining the character is helpful as well. The blocks mainly teach animals, numbers, body parts, etc. This is good for beginners. The map that is created when the blocks are together isn't a highlight. However, I think parents and teachers trying to bring language exposure to children should buy this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product to start teaching my son Chinese (he is ..., September 20, 2014
This review is from: Uncle Goose Chinese Character Blocks (32 pcs) (Toy)
Great product to start teaching my son Chinese (he is half caucasian, half chinese). Only thing, there is 2 similar words (head) in the set, which i wish it would be different. Other than that, love it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Uncle Goose Chinese Character Blocks (32 pcs)
$43.00 $36.95