5.0 out of 5 stars The best wooden block set by far!
Published on December 5, 2001 by Heather Walton

3.0 out of 5 stars Sharp corners and edges
This is a very nice set, but the block edges and corners are very sharp.

Within a day of receiving the set as a gift, my 13-month-old tripped while holding one of the blocks and cut a "V" into his cheek on one of the corners.

(We also own a set of the Uncle Goose Japanese Character Blocks, and that set has slightly rounded edges which seem much...
Published 17 months ago by Jonathan C.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best wooden block set by far!, December 5, 2001
This review is from: Uncle Goose Classic ABC Blocks with Pull Wagon (28 pcs) (Toy)
These ABC blocks by Uncle Goose are the best made blocks you will find anywhere. And the wooden wagon has a very high quality. Made from Michigan wood in the USA, and 100% safe paints. I looked everywhere to find blocks for my 15 month old. Most are for 3 and up because they are too small the paint comes off too easily. Not these blocks! These are 1.75 inches each and have 100% safe paint for 2 year-olds and up- As recommended by the manufacturer Uncle Goose. My 15-month-old chews on everything and she was not able to bite the paint off of these blocks, like she was easily able to with most other blocks on the market that I returned! The animal carvings on the blocks are really nice. They have numbers 0 - 9, 4 complete alphabet sets, and 27 animals ranging from an elephant to a butterfly. My child loves playing with these and stacking them up then knocking them down. You can't go wrong with this classic toy. It is excellently made and very fun! A must have for all children ages 1 and up. And the wagon is very nice, or get the blocks in the canvas bag for (...)less.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 in 1!, April 6, 2000
By A Customer
This toy is really two in one. Not only do you get the great blocks to build and learn with, but also the classic wooden wagon. My child loves to put other toys in it and pull them along with the sturdy blocks. This toy has been hours of entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic and irresistable, April 4, 2000
By A Customer
I think I wanted these blocks more for myself than my daughter. They're the kind you always wanted as a kid, but never got (am I giving too much away here?). Anyway, my daughter loves to build and play with them. I love the way they look and feel: clean, light, colorful, non-toxic, and there's lots of them. And, you get the wagon, which is great for others things, including storage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite Blocks; Wagon Makes Nice Storage, December 4, 2009
goonius (a room in a house on a street in a city just like any other.) - See all my reviews
I've had my eye on these blocks for quite some time, and finally decided to purchase them for my youngest, who will be two early next year. As expected, these blocks are exquisite, classic, and heirloom quality. The embossed detail on the front and back of each block is really fantastic. The wood is beautiful, the designs on the sides are nice - uppercase alphabet on two sides, stamped in bright red, the other two sides are dedicated to animals and numbers and are both a deep blue. There are four colors on the embossed sides; orange, yellow, blue and green.

We simultaneously bought the lowercase set of these blocks, and I mention this because a really cool feature is that for each of the adult animals in the uppercase set there is a matching baby animal in the lowercase set. So if you decide to buy both, you get the added bonus of a little game of match the mama (or daddy) animal to the baby. There are even some unusual pairs like a tadpole and frog and a butterfly and caterpillar. What a well-thought-out and fantastic tie-in between these two sets!

With all the letters available on the uppercase alphabet set (it essentially has the full alphabet 4 times over), kids will have the opportunity to make plenty of words as they enter that phase. Younger kids will enjoy building with something that is so brightly-colored and fun to look at. And with the safety standards of Uncle Goose - and, of course, the fact that they are made in the US - I don't think you could possibly go wrong with this or any other set they offer. And they have a lot of cool options. I had trouble choosing.

Anyhow, the wagon, which has gotten lukewarm reception with some reviewers was not originally going to be part of my order, but it happened that a combination of sale prices vs. non-sale prices made it seem silly not to buy the wagon; it only cost me an extra couple of bucks over what the blocks alone would have been. And for that price, I am definitely pleased with it.

However, I can understand the negative reviews of it. The wagon is more a really cool way to store these blocks, and less a really cool wagon by itself. Mostly, this is because it is small, as would be expected (13. 75" x 8.6"). It stands a mere 2.6" from the ground, and only has a depth of 1" in the block compartment. It seems sturdy enough, which is good, because my girls seem to like the idea of sitting in it. So far, it's holding up. They also enjoy toting toys and blocks in it a bit too.

Also, of note on the wagon is the pull string and the ball that is attached to it. The pull string itself, presumably in an effort to comply with CPSC rules (all pull cords must be 12" or shorter) to prevent strangulation hazards, measures about 9-10". This is really really short, and it was frustrating the heck out of my 95th percentile girls. They would have had to walk about on their knees. The ball at the end, which measures about 1.25", is a choking hazard, whether its becomes detached or not, without supervision. We ended up removing the ball, and replacing the nylon cord with a similar one, about 2 inches longer - which still meets CPSC standards while making the wagon functional. It's not a difficult fix to do yourself, and it's really a necessary one if you want this wagon to do anything but make the kids angry.

Bottom line: I wouldn't totally discount the wagon. My kids really seem to like it. If the price is right and you've got a clear idea of what you're buying it's a fine accessory to the blocks.

The blocks are worth every penny no matter how you package them. I'm so pleased to have found such a high quality toy made right here in the USA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wooden ABC Blocks in Wagon, January 5, 2007
Great 1st birthday gift. See comments under wooden blocks by Uncle Goose. Quality is outstanding and worth every penny over the run of the mill blocks found in local big retail establishments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, quality toy, February 19, 2010
SoCalMama (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
We bought these blocks for our 10 month old daughter's first Christmas. I knew we wanted to get her alphabet blocks, and I was drawn to them after reading all the positive feedback here. Then I saw they were made in the USA, and I was sold. I'm so glad I spent a little more to get the version with the wagon, as it neatly stores all the blocks. When we first opened the box, the smell of the fresh wood instantly confirmed the GREAT quality of the blocks. The blocks are a great size and painted beautifully. We are having so much fun building towers and knocking them down! She loves dumping them out of the wagon and putting them into a bucket, too. When she's older, I'm sure we'll have fun naming the animals, spelling words, and even doing math with the numbers! We couldn't be happier... and we highly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic toy, expensive, and less than excellent, May 9, 2011
This is an attractive, well made toy. Very basic and one cannot fault its design. It is not inexpensive, though. For nearly $50 I was expecting something a bit more impressive. The "embossed" letters are only found on the end-grain, likely due to this being the only side that can be embossed by the die-impression embossing process they seem to have used. Therefore, only two of the six sides have the embossing. The other sides are simply painted. The letters are crisp and well done. They are nicely finished, but for more durability and water resistance (drool) one may want to apply a layer of food-grade oil like Raw Linseed or the butcher block oils available from places like Home Depot or IKEA. Will kids profit from this and enjoy it? Yes. Will you pass it down from generation to generation? Maybe. Is this an "heirloom" quality toy as suggested by its price and description? Not quite.

4.0 out of 5 stars blocks great, skip the wagon, November 21, 2009
Blocks are great. Large durable wooden blocks, great quality.
I docked a star because the string that pulls the wagon is too short for my 15 month old son. Slightly disappointing since I paid the extra for the wagon. The wheels don't roll all that well either, since it's made purely of wood.
Just get the blocks, forget the wagon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these blocks!, July 12, 2010
I've never written a product review before, but these blocks have inspired me to start. We bought them for our son for his 1st birthday (even though the product info states that they are for 2-year olds+). We looked at the Melissa&Doug blocks too, but we liked the Uncle Goose blocks much better because they are bigger, and made in the USA. Each block is a perfect cube, and the workmanship on this set is first rate. The wagon is cute too, good for storage of the blocks, a flat surface for stacking them, or as a frame when we spell out words with the blocks. Our son loves knocking the blocks down (after daddy stacks them), and he is starting to enjoy stacking them too. Highly recommended product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, April 8, 2009
Uncle Goose products are so classic. I wanted something to give my son for his first birthday that he could play with now and would be durable enough to keep for him to give to his children one day. There are so many different games that you can play with these blocks. They are so cute and almost vintage looking. The colors are beautiful and classic, not the bright primary colors that you find on the cheaper blocks.

Uncle Goose Classic ABC Blocks with Pull Wagon (28 pcs)
$49.99 $46.95