1,114 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars So cool! Unique addition to any kid's room.
I have seen boys and girls ages 2 to 8 captivated by Uncle Milton's "Moon in My Room." As an adult, frankly I think it's pretty cool too!

Published on April 22, 2007 by Amy Tiemann

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE!
I am incredibly disappointed with this product. The moon worked great when we first set it up. My 5 and 4 year olds loved using the remote to change the moon from full moon to half moon. We enjoyed how the moon would automatically turn on when it became dark.

Published on December 8, 2009 by Ginger

5.0 out of 5 stars So cool! Unique addition to any kid's room., April 22, 2007
This review is from: Uncle Milton Moon In My Room (Toy)

The moon model has a contured, textured surface. It is a couple of inches thick, curved, so it has real depth. The moon cycles through 12 different phases. I have not seen any evidence of the light turning on automatically after dark, as advertised, but it works fine manually or by activating the automatic 5-seconds per phase cycle. The moon is lit up from a light within and the plastic does not glow in the dark when it is turned off.

The Moon in My Room is advertised as appropriate for ages 6 and up, but since it's mounted on the wall I don't see why it can't go in a toddler's room as long as the remote control is secured. I will echo a previous reviewer's comment that you need to keep track of the remote, as I don't think it would work otherwise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product except for one thing..., March 13, 2007
We got this for my five year old son for Christmas. He has a space-themed room and this fit in perfectly. He loves it and has it on every night. What's really great about it is that it will turn off automatically. What's not so great about it is that it just burns up the batteries! We've already had to replace the batteries three times since Christmas (and the latest batteries I put in where Energizer Lithium e2; they lasted about 3 1/2 weeks). The battery issue is the only reason I gave this product four stars instead of five.

5.0 out of 5 stars My child has really enjoyed this, January 12, 2007
This was a Christmas gift for my 8 year old daughter who is into absolutely nothing but animals. She absolutely loves it. She turns it on every night and her and our other children go and watch it. I even watch it. It has two settings. 1. Is where it goes through the phases of the moon. I was mistaken about how this works, I thought that it went through the phases along with the moon, however, it blinks through them pretty quick. 2. The moon is just set on a single phase of the moon. I have seen them go through both of the settings, there is a small remote control that the child can set themselves. The only problem with the remote is that because of its size it can get easily misplaced, especially if your kids are like mine and would lose just about anything. My suggestion for this would be to put some velcro on the back of the remote and stick it somewhere. Also it has a sensor and turns off when the sun comes up and back on when the sun goes out. It also runs off batteries. Ours came with a cd, which I thought would be something that they could watch on the computer, but it isn't it is just talking about the moon. Overall it was a good purchase, and I would definitely recommend it for a child who is very hard to shop for.

5.0 out of 5 stars do not buy if you are a werewolf, June 21, 2011
This review is from: Uncle Milton Moon In My Room (Toy)
i bought this moon night light as a present for my roommate's 30th birthday. the light it gives off is bright enough to illuminate the empty beer cans that populate his room, but dark enough to hide the shame of a decade's worth of missed opportunities.

this product is probably more suitable for children.

1.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE!, December 8, 2009
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Milton Moon In My Room (Toy)

Everything was great until a week later when the moon stopped working. The batteries had died within a week.

The moon looked cute up on the wall even though it wasn't lit up, so I left it as it was for a while. After a couple of months I decided to try replacing the batteries and see if it would work.

After putting in brand new AA batteries, it did not light up. A few hours later it came on. We put the moon up on the wall and again enjoyed having it turn on when it became night. Within a week, the batteries were dead, again.

I called up Uncle Milton, the company who makes the Moon in My Room, and they informed me that the batteries dying in less than a week is normal if you keep the moon in the on position. I explained to them that the instructions never mention having to turn the moon off every night as it already has an auto shut-off. She said even with the auto shut-off on the moon, it is normal for the batteries to only last a few days.

For the batteries to work longer than a week, you have to turn the switch on the back side of the moon. We keep our moon on the wall up high to look like a moon, so turning the switch on the backside is completely impractical. There is no on/off switch on the remote to turn the auto sensor off, so the only way to turn the switch is taking it off the wall.

Overall this moon is not worth over $10 to use as a decoration if you can't keep it lit up for more than a week. The money I spent on the batteries to keep the moon lit for such a short time was a complete waste. If I could do things over, I never would have purchased this product and I will not be recommending it. Save your money for something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, April 6, 2009
This review is from: Uncle Milton Moon In My Room (Toy)
Ever since I first pointed out the moon to my daughter when she was eighteen months old, she has had a deep fascination with the moon. This toy is great because it brings the moon into her room.

Pros:
- Its just smaller than the size of a dinner plate
- It lights up in phases (4 total) with a remote
- Manual Mode: It has a remote control that allows on off of each phase manually
- Auto Mode: With the remote you can put it in auto mode which cycles through the phases automatically through all the cycles in about 30 seconds
- On Off Mode: Allows you to turn on all phases on at once or turn them all off
- It turns itself off after 30 minutes automatically.

CONS:
- The moon has a light sensor that turns on the moon whenever you turn off the light. This winds up having the moon on more than I'd like it to and during the day you can't tell if its on or not so this causes some battery waste.
- It uses 6 AA batteries and I've had to change them too many times to count so I've gone to rechargeable batteries...so if you hang it too high, you'll wind up having to bring out your ladder quite frequently.
- It only has one handing hole for a nail so if you want to put it on the top of your ceiling or on a slated vault wall you will have to cut an additional hole in the plastic back.

Overall, this is a great toy - my daughter adores it and it has brought quite a bit of joy to her so I highly recommend it. It's not quite perfect but the challenges with it are small compared to the joy it brings to my daughter every night.

1.0 out of 5 stars Planned Obsolescence - DO NOT BUY, November 8, 2009
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Milton Moon In My Room (Toy)
We bought this three years ago for our son for Christmas. Other reviewers have noted that it eats batteries. Well, that's not the only problem. Eventually the bulb(s) burn out and they are LED bulbs - they can't be replaced. I wrote Uncle Milton and they DO NOT do repairs. So, into the garbage the plastic hulk went. Not very environmentally friendly design. Lame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Room with a moon, August 15, 2007
I purchased this item for my son and have to say that I am quite impressed. The moon has a very realistic appearance and works well. The moon has a light sensor but can be controlled manually via the remote.

The remote has exceptional range and the moon is very responsive. Being able to control the phases allows for the adjustment of light output by the moon. The build quality seems good and overall I am please.

2.0 out of 5 stars Another Good Idea Wasted Due to Poor Design and Greed, October 9, 2010
Lenoir (Upstate New York) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Milton Moon In My Room (Toy)
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have had it with companies that waste a good idea in the effort to get our money and run, only to leave us with what amounts to a disposable product - a plastic one, no less. Our landfills don't need it, and our wallets don't either. Worse, perhaps, is the waste of a perfectly wonderful idea. There is no excuse for this item not being designed to function better and longer. The same can be said for most of the other "space" products out there, like star and constellation projectors and nightlights, all of which rate poorly and are over-priced.

The Moon in My Room is actually quite nice when put up on the wall and lit. Sure, it's a cheap plastic shell with an annoying battery case (screw-top, which doesn't seem like a big deal, except that if you actually use this thing, you'll quickly get sick of unscrewing that battery compartment to replace the batteries every few days). When lit up in a dark room, the light it casts emulates actual moonlight beautifully, and it looks fairly realistic.

The problem, as others have pointed out, is the extremely short battery life. I started with regular ones, and those were drained within a couple weeks, so I switched to rechargeables, and those die within days. And this from only lighting the thing for maybe 45 minutes a day! There is nothing relaxing or enjoyable about a product that, when you have it on, makes you feel pressured to turn it off. I even tried conserving by only lighting it in crescent mode, thinking that using fewer lights would help, but no. I have a clock that will run on one C battery for 3 years. Sure, the Moon lights up and all, but seriously, why isn't it more efficient? It's not like it's powering lasers or incandescents.

I've read this thing has even broken pretty quickly for many people. Mine didn't break. I simply got sick of taking it down off the wall to replace the batteries, so now it sits packed in a box. What a waste.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Battery Casing, January 12, 2007
This review is from: Uncle Milton Moon In My Room (Toy)
My brother, the uncle of my two sons, purchased this item for Christams. In the excitement of testing this item out they realized the battery backing was not able to be opened. The screw casing was stripped! No big deal, I thought, I would just call the company. They are not willing to replace the prodect unless I pay for shipping. They recomeded that I take it to a local store to replace knowing that it was purchased over 1000 miles away and not at a chain store! Passing the buck. I then asked to speak to a super visor and she repeated the same mantra, "sorry company policey." I never go to the lengths that I am now, but I am tired of companies not performing the basic duties of customer satisfaction. They want me to go to the post office and mail it to them at which time they will determine whose fault it is and then mail me a new one. When I asked if there was any way around said policy the manager told me I could write a letter. So here it is.

Uncle Milton Moon In My Room