4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn cool
Before my purchase, I read mixed reviews about this product. Many of its purchasers loved it while others discovered their's to be defective. The first one I purchased did not project a rainbow at all. Apparently, there are five small bulbs that must illuminate to produce a rainbow and only three were lighting. Be sure to check your merchant's exchange policy for...
Published on January 16, 2008 by kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars just what he wanted
My son really wanted this toy for Christmas. He LOVES rainbows. He has autism and loves most visual toys. It is much more compact than I thought it would be and it found a spot immediately on his dresser. You just hold your hand under the arc for a moment and the rainbow shows itself on the walls or ceiling depending on how it is positioned. He loves it. There isn't...
Published on January 17, 2008 by M.S.

‹ Previous | 1 2 351 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if it works, October 17, 2008
Nigel Self (Santa Cruz, CA USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Milton - Rainbow In My Room (Toy)
I recommend this but second the person who notes the mixed reviews and suggests you order from a company that has a good returns/exchange policy. This is fun if it works. Pros: small enough to fit on a nightstand (9" long and 4 1/2" deep at the base); an outlet allows the use of an adapter (not included); the rainbow is decent, good enough for a little one to enjoy. Cons: the rainbow is created by a set of 5 colored LEDs that project down from the arch onto a curved strip of reflective mylar, so it is not a refracting prisim and thus has little science-education value -but I think its main appeal is to kids who are too young for learning this; the mylar could be scratched with rough handling; the plastic housing is slightly flimsy -the round reflector unit and the arch torque about 3/4 inch where they join, so take care not to twist when changing the batteries located in the reflector unit. A bigger con with mine -and I've read another review elsewhere dittoing this- is that the red LED band is considerably duller than the other colors, even in a dark room. Also, just like another review elsewhere said, while there are two settings, one to turn on the rainbow instantly and one to turn it on slowly one color at a time, the latter merely turns on the red and then a split second later turns on all the others at once. Last, neither pro or con, realize that in nature a rainbow is formed by light refracting through water particles in the air (white light goes in one side of a water drop and gets bent going out the other, splitting into its constituent colors). Unlike the ad, this toy projects already colored light onto walls and ceiling, not into the air. But short of spraying a garden hose over your child's bed while she points a flashlight at it, or rigging up a white light and prism (there's a do-able science experiment), this toy handily substitutes. Overall, even with the defective setting to turn the colors on one by one, I think my 4 year old niece will like this alot and am giving it to her.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blatantly Poor Customer Service from Uncle Milton Co., October 23, 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Milton - Rainbow In My Room (Toy)
Buyer Beware! Uncle Milton will NOT warranty defective Rainbow in My Room toys. There is no sense of responsibility for their customers. Beware - if 3 of the 5 lights burn out, don't expect Uncle Milton to make it right. They clearly do not stand by their products. Buyer Beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful rainbow, March 1, 2009
City Witch (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uncle Milton - Rainbow In My Room (Toy)
Other reviewers have noted problems with this product. I was nervous about buying it after reading their experiences, but ours has been working without problem since Christmas.

My daughter loves this product because she thinks the rainbow is beautiful (I have to admit I am impressed too). She has me turn it on every night before I leave her room at bedtime. It gives off enough light to make the darkness in her room be less frightening, and her focus is on the rainbow instead of on the dark.

I love it because it shuts off automatically. I do not want a night light that remains on all night, and the rainbow shuts itself off after a short time. This is a great night light alternative. I also appreciate how small the projector is.

Updated to add:
We still own this, and it still works beautifully. We've had to change the batteries a few times, but that's all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, November 9, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Milton - Rainbow In My Room (Toy)
VERY disappointed with Rainbow In My Room. It will only project a rainbow (and not whole color spectrum) to a wall within approximately 2 ft of the device. That is not explained on the product description. Box does say "perfect for nightstand or desk" but, also says "now you can project a rainbow on your walls or ceiling" so I bought it hoping to use in my classroom. Not at all practical for that purpose. My granddaughter may enjoy it on her bedside table but that is all it is good for. If I had paid the regular price, I would be asking for my money back!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bright, but my daughter loves it anyway, March 25, 2009
This review is from: Uncle Milton - Rainbow In My Room (Toy)
My daughter loves having a rainbow projected on the walls or ceiling of her room. The rainbow light is NOT bright, but at night it looks great. On a sunny day it is hard to see. The illustrations of this light are very misleading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kids love it, but does not include AC adapter, November 27, 2012
Amie Jones (SALT LAKE CITY, UT, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uncle Milton - Rainbow In My Room (Toy)
My kids got this as a gift and love using it as a night light. It is only bright enough to use in the dark. It is not a prism, if that is what you are looking for look for a product that is a small prism that rotates, the unit is solar powered. It sparkles rainbows all over my kitchen!

the one thing I really don't like about this product is that it does not come with an AC adapter. Radio Shack told me they didn't have the right one, and I had no idea wheat to get online. Since my kids demand this for their night light I have to go in every 10 min to turn it back on, a real pain! Luckily I found this info from another review:

Here are a few tips if you want to make this into the perfect night light:

1. Use an AC adapter. Do not use batteries; it will suck them dry! Even rechargeable batteries will be annoying since you'll be replacing them too regularly. You might already have one in your house from one of your other toys. Here's what you need to know:

For US and Canada use: 100 to 220 Volts AC, 60 Hz. Output 6 Volts DC, 450 mA
For Europe and Australia use: 220 to 240 Volts AC, 50 Hz. Output 6 Volts DC, 450 mA

I'm using a universal AC adapter like this VCT VX-79NP - Multi-purpose Universal AC to DC Converter Adapter With Multiple Tips(1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 and 12V DC) - 1000mA.

2. Put this on a timer. I don't want to run this thing all night. Here's what I'm using Westinghouse T00448 2-Outlet Indoor Mechanical Timer, White. Set it and forget it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for my 2-year old, January 29, 2008
This review is from: Uncle Milton - Rainbow In My Room (Toy)
Got this as a Christmas present for my little one. She caught onto how the motion sensor turns it on and off immediately and it definitely helped her learn about shadows and rainbows. Especially for the price, this is an excellent product. Its never been dropped but I think it's very fragile. It's also much smaller than you think. It's slightly larger than an adult hand and easily light enough to be held by an adult.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed JUST past the 30 day warranty - disappointed 5yo, November 10, 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Milton - Rainbow In My Room (Toy)
Don't waste your money. This shorted out after less than a month of use and can't be repaired. My daughter loved it while it worked, but it didn't work long enough to be worth the money, and she was not AT ALL rough with it - it was never knocked down, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of ohs & ahs from the kids!!!, October 8, 2008
This review is from: Uncle Milton - Rainbow In My Room (Toy)
Works best at night or in a dark room during the day, but it can also be partially seen in low light situations. I would recommend purchasing a 40mm crystal ball together with this product so that you can enjoy rainbows throughout the day and at night. Together they make the perfect gift for the rainbow enthusiast like my daughter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ummh, where is Quality Control?, September 29, 2012
This review is from: Uncle Milton - Rainbow In My Room (Toy)
The unit has two modes (switch on the bottom) and a small on/off switch on the top. I tried three completely different set of batteries, all new. Not once did the unit light up or show any sign of having the ability to work. It would be nice if they (Uncle Milton) actually checked each unit prior to shipping them out. IF you do decide to but one anyway, have a back up gift and try it yourself first so you don't disappoint some little kid on their birthday.

‹ Previous | 1 2 351 | Next ›