4.0 out of 5 stars Really neat!
Published on October 9, 2010 by Becky Riley

3.0 out of 5 stars Does What You Think It Will
Published on January 3, 2011 by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars Does What You Think It Will, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Uncle Milton Star Wars Lightsaber Room Light (Toy)
You mount it on the wall. You can set it to whatever color you want, or set it to change colors. Having it change colors is pretty cool, it will cycle through all of them (including white briefly). It goes off (if not used) after a good while. You can slide the light saber (with plate) off the wall mount to change the batteries. It has a controller you can use to change the colors and turn it off/on.

However, my only complaint is the controller will not turn it on. You have to push the button on the light saber to turn it on, then and only then will the controller work. I bought 2 of these (for my kids) and for both, you have to push the button on the light saber to turn it on, then the controllers work. You have to do this everytime you want to use it. Once you do that, the controller will work to change the colors and turn it off and on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really neat!, October 9, 2010
This review is from: Uncle Milton Star Wars Lightsaber Room Light (Toy)
This is a really neat product, I am glad I purchased it....my only compalints would be that #1 it is not as durable as I had hoped (we already had a I thought I broke it scare) and #2 the remote doesn't turn it on that I can see....OH and it changes colors all night long which could keep kids awake! Three good things are, it looks awesome and is a good size, not teeny night light size. It has a remote for color change and the batteries are super easy to change. Overall 4 starts, I would purchase again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a room light, does not plug in and cuts off after 15 minutes, November 10, 2010
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Milton Star Wars Lightsaber Room Light (Toy)
Seeing this "Lightsaber Room Light" in a toy catalog and a shop, it looked fun, clever and a gift to be excited about to give to a Star Wars fan. But this was nothing more than frustrating from a practical stand point, and disappointing from every stand point.

One assumes by reading the product specs online and on the box itself that it would simply plug in to a walls electrical outlet. But this is not at all the case. By "wall mounted" they mean that literally, you must screw the bracket onto the wall with a couple of screws. I'm sure that's fine with some people, but I was not expecting this for a child's toy. (As the lightsaber is permanently attached to the mount, I wouldn't consider it a toy but a room decoration. The lightsaber does not detach from the mount. The plastic molding is one piece.)

This runs on five AAA batteries. Three of the batteries go in the 'handle' and two in the remote control (which changes the color of the light). The battery pack in which you place the batteries is in the handle, and is a little tricky to get in and out properly. And that was when I didn't have it mounted on the wall. Were this mounted on a wall, I could foresee it pulling off the wall fairly easily in a short amount of time. ~Especially~ if your child is the one who will be opening up the handle to remove and replace the batteries, and then re-assemble onto the mount.

The batteries in the remote have to be screwed in with a philips-head screw driver. I only mention this in case a young child is given this and the batteries need replacing, it's something that should most likely be done by an adult.

Personally, the fact that this runs exclusively on batteries and can not be plugged in was pretty much a deal-killer for us but I truly wanted this to work. I have a Star Wars fan in my life and this would have been a perfect gift for him. Why Uncle Milton decided to manufacture this to run on battery power exclusively amazes me.

But the following issue on this "room light" (quotes added intentionally as I can not consider this a true room light) is the fact that the light turns off automatically after 15 minutes ("to conserve energy," as their Green-speak instruction manual declares). If there were an option to pick between timed-intervals or always on/off, and simply clicked on/off by the remote it would have made so much more sense. But there is no option. The remote changes the color of the light saber, as does the button on the handle. But the handle button was the only way I could get the light saber to turn on. So if you're looking for a light to keep on in a room, be prepared to keep getting up to turn it back on at fifteen-minute intervals.

I asked an electrician who lives down the street if there was any such adjustment or tweaks which could be made so the light saber could stay on continually, but he was unable to find a solution without replacing the entire inner workings with a different LED light source.

Bottom line: If you don't intend for this light saber to be on for more than fifteen minutes at a time, and you don't mind replacing batteries as you are unable to plug this into a socket, and you don't mind permanently screwing this onto a wall, it's a fun product.

For us, this was far too impractical and too far from the item description for it to be a usable for the person it was intended for.

5.0 out of 5 stars May the FORCE Be with You!, January 4, 2012
BMD (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uncle Milton Star Wars Lightsaber Room Light (Toy)
I bought this lightsaber room light for my nine-year-old son, and he absolutely loves it. Assembly and mounting are easy enough if you want to use the lightsabeer only as a room light; however, my son wanted to be able to take it off of the wall mount and play with it, so I made some modifications.

Here's how:

First, I removed the two small screws that attach the lightsaber to the inside mounting bracket. This allows the lightsaber to be used without the inside bracket obstructing play.

Next, instead of drilling holes into the bedroom wall and and attaching the outside mounting bracket using the mounting hardware that is included with the product, I mounted the both parts of the mounting bracket together to the wall using double-sided foam tape. The inside mounting bracket can slide out from the outside bracket, so I secured them as one single unit by attaching a couple of small squares of foam tape to the back of the bracket assembly. Then I used two large strips of foam tape to mount the bracket assembly to the wall. The entire modification process took less than five minutes, and the wall mount is securely attached. This modification allows for my son to play with the lightsaber and place it back into the wall-mounted bracket when he is done.

As for operation as a room light, I found the remote to operate the light flawlessly. It turned on the lightsaber, toggled through the various color modes, and turned off the lightsaber as well. It does the exact same thing as the switch on the lightsaber. Maybe the functionality of the remote has been upgraded.

Anyway, the bottom line is that my son is thrilled with his lightsaber. It works great for us.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap., January 3, 2011
Cheap, cheap, cheap. This item looks way better in the picture than in person. I ordered two thinking they would look really good in my son's room. I was under the assumption that they were like lamps, not cheap toys you can mount on the wall. I ended up giving them to my younger son who is three to just play with.

4.0 out of 5 stars its more a nightlight than a lamp, January 11, 2011
i bought this from toy"r"us and got it home out of the box it is rather small but my son is six years old and has to have a night light well this for its size is just what i wanted not to bright so he gets a good nights sleep and is just right to help him see the room at night to get around if he needs to

it stays on for about 15mins which is long enough comes with a remote so he can control it through the colours it has and he can change it to suit his mood mostly green or blue but he does like that he can control it with the remote makes him feel grown up makes the noise from the film as it shuts down and starts it mounted to his bed the remote works well if pointed in the right direction

i feel it was the best thing in the way of a childs nightlight its more a nightlight than fill the room with light so that in mind its ok great buy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Squeaking Broken Light Sabre, December 26, 2010
My wife bought this for our son for Christmas, my first reaction was that it was really small. If the thing actually worked properly I could get past the size, but it doesn't. It makes an annoying squeaking noise and the light turns off after 15 seconds instead of 15 minutes. I wish we didn't buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncle Milty makes nice lightsabers, July 12, 2013
This review is from: Uncle Milton Star Wars Lightsaber Room Light (Toy)
It's a wall sconce, not a toy. It's not much fun to play with, but it looks pretty wicked cool on the wall. Disclaimer: Buying one does not make a person a true Jedi.

3.0 out of 5 stars Small Size :: Short Duration :: Limited Remote Control, February 16, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncle Milton Star Wars Lightsaber Room Light (Toy)
I am a 32yo husband and father. My brother got this for me for Christmas 2011: part joke, part not. I have not mounted this piece of plastic to my bedroom wall though. I have it leaning against the wall on a cabinet. Overall, this is a pretty duriable hunk of junk. It has many good colors which can really add atmosphere to the bedroom. It has a remote control that you can use to change the colors. Here are my issues with this though:

1.) It isn't life size. This thing is two feet long. It is like a light saber short sword. If it was life size and still plastic, I would probably entertain installing it.

2.) It doesn't stay on very long. I think it is like fifteen minutes or something. Fifteen minutes is not enough time to "enjoy" the light.

3.) You can't turn it on with the remote. It came with an IR remote (like your TV remote). Since the thing runs off batteries, it would probably drain them pretty quick in stand-by mode. Don't expect to be able to turn this on from a distance.

I've pointed it out to adult friends and the first thing they say is, "Oh, too bad it isn't life size; that would be cool." I think it would have been a better product without the remote control "features" but instead being life-size. Also, setting it for a longer duration, maybe an hour, would have been nice. I mean, it is just an LED, and those things don't use a lot of power.

Overall, it is fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars great toy for the money, January 19, 2012
This review is from: Uncle Milton Star Wars Lightsaber Room Light (Toy)
We got these swords for our boys (8 and almost 4) for Christmas. When we first took them out of the box I thought they were kind of lame and tiny. The handle/holder doesn't come off of the base, so it looks a little silly. The boys BOTH LOVE them, however, and use them as night lights every night. They play with them once in a while, but they are always on the wall at bed time!

Uncle Milton Star Wars Lightsaber Room Light