5.0 out of 5 stars 'Insider Information' that is legal!
Published on June 11, 2012 by R. Tobias

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas difficult implementation
I like the philosophy of simple thinking, by just picking a line, based on break and speed, and rolling the ball over it!

However, controlling the required speed in a putt just based on feeling is extremely hard. You can throw a baseball to somebody, without thinking of of speed, but the will a glove stoping that ball regardless of how far back it would've gone...
Published 1 month ago by Jorge A Azpurua

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Insider Information' that is legal!, June 11, 2012
R. Tobias (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unconscious Putting: Dave Stockton's Guide to Unlocking Your Signature Stroke (Hardcover)
I have owned probably too many books on putting. Too much information can be a bad thing, esp. when some of that info is contradictory. But this is, quite likely, the only putting book I will ever need from now on, and the one that I wish that I had when I played for my college team. I have long considered Mr. Stockton to be one of the best, if not the best of some excellent coaches when it comes to putting. Annika Sorenstam went to Dave in the midst of her amazing career, and in short order her putting went from being middle of the pack to one of the very best in the women's game. Currently, Phil Mickelson has been working w/ Dave, and he is having a renaissance in his putting too! He was ranked right at 130th on tour in putting the last 3 yrs, and after working w/ Dave, currently is 14th! So what I am saying, is here is real 'insider dope', an approach that has been tried and tested. Why? Because Dave Stockton made his living for decades on the PGA and Senior PGA tours largely on the strength of his putting, not his ball striking. What he was taught by his father and other golfiing mentors, he passes on to you. I will say, though, that this book is not for the casual golfer, but one who is willing to tackle radically different thinking. The title gives a hint of what is in store. No more obsessive focus on mechanics, but instead on visualizing the line of the putt, for example. Not all will buy his thinking, but I know that it has helped numerous pros, and it has helped me already, even though I haven't learned the totality of the content of the book yet. If you are open minded and willing to try a radically different approach, you owe it to yourself to try this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brief and very clear, September 16, 2011
If you have seen Dave Stockton on the Golf Channel, you know that he is a great teacher on putting. My one complaint is that the book is only 90 pages. The concepts and ideas that he wants to convey are clear and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting Is Half Your Score, November 2, 2011
Mr. Stockton's record as a touring professional makes this book a must read. His advice is interesting since he gets away from the mechanical aspects into the realm of the unconscious or intuitive. Muscle memory and the imprint on our subconsious is well exemplified by any one who touch types: You don't have to think about where the keys are, your fingers just go there. So why not apply this fact to instruction of any kind?

As a mediocre but avid player for some 65 years, I constantly seek Nurvana in this key scoring aspect of golf and welcomed this book as most useful.

Remember, since par is figured for any hole by allowing two strokes, so theoretically putting is half your score. While no player consistently hits every green in regulation, thus usually one takes fewer than 36 putts on a par 72 course.

Still, as more and more players, even touring pros, seem to be using the putter even when off the green, reading Mr. Stockton's book will be well worth doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars the promise land, November 7, 2012
RANDY pAGAN (LAKE MARY, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I have never too keen on golf instruction that promises instant success however, 30 mintues of applying Mr Stockton method. 28 putts first time after reading . Now hear this last round remined me of my youth fearless,
see it, feel it, do it...ready boys I'm pressing all bets...last round total 26 putts, nine greens regulation
and broke 70 for the first time in 8 years...P.S. Mr Stockton I will introduce you to all my daughters

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Feel Players, June 5, 2013
First, Dave Stockton is highly regarded as one of the best putters in history, and the man never took a practice stroke. Throughout this book he talks about feeling the putt. If you're looking for an instruction manual with exact tips on exactly how to putt, go read the Dave Pelz Bible books. Dave Stockton includes some tips regarding hand placement, green reading, etc., but he doesn't believe there is one right way to putt. That is very evident throughout this book. I was originally surprised at how thin the book was after reading the Pelz stuff (which reaches 400 pages). But as a feel player myself, I really appreciated the approach that Stockton uses. If you're new to golf, I would not recommend this book. But if you've been playing for years, there are some handy thoughts in here that could take you to the next level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unconsciously briliiant, September 6, 2012
It just makes sense to read and follow. I had the proverbial lightbulb go off in my head. No all that is left is to find the time to practise, practise, practise till it becomes trully an unconscious putting stroke.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great putting aid for all levels, October 11, 2011
Dave Stockton has produced another expertly written book. His ideas are easy to understand and he explains things in an uncomplicated way which helps you put them into practice on the course. This book will benefit golfers of every level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dave's instruction works, October 18, 2011
Frankly when I read the book I thought it was a great magazine article that was blown up into a 90 page book at a very high price. Then I went out and actually tried the methodology that Dave is recommending. It works! So then I evaluated the book form the viewpoint of what a half hour of putting instruction would cost at my home course, Pinehurst. Then the cost becomes more than acceptable and the value really goes up. So all in all, I would recommend the book and ordering though Amazon will make it even more acceptable. Like I said Dave's putting method works. Definitely try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars K.I.S.S. Putting, September 28, 2011
Felix Ortiz (Menands, NY, US) - See all my reviews
Finished reading the Stockton book and I am HUGE Fan of this book. It simplifies things tremendously. The KISS method (Keep it Simple Stupid!) to the most extreme. I would make this the foundation for your hunt for your perfect roll.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a complete book by any means, February 7, 2012
The book has some VERY good ideas and you can read about them in other reviews. I'll tell you what I thought were short comings.

First and foremost there is almost nothing about READING putts. If you have trouble figuring breaks this book won't help you. Mr. Stockton can easily "see the line" and you are expected to already have that ability.

Second, while Mr. Stockton says many times that he doesn't care how you putt, so long as you roll it on the proper line at the proper speed, he spends a lot of time telling you exactly how he putts. Some of it is useful, but it goes against his desire that you become a "natural" putter. Its hard to be natural while imitating someone else.

Third, his chapter on equipment almost reads as an infomercial for TaylorMade. There is a fair amount of outdated fitting information present. One thing he almost completely ignores is picking a putter that you can properly aim. Most putter fitters today would put that as priority number one.

The bottom line is that I would buy the book again in a heartbeat and I expect it to improve my putting.

Unconscious Putting: Dave Stockton's Guide to Unlocking Your Signature Stroke