5.0 out of 5 stars Super information
This is a small book with a lot in it. I thought I understood a lot about wine until I read this book. It is a good book for novices as the title says, but it has a lot in it for the experienced as well.
Published on August 1, 2012 by Roger B

1.0 out of 5 stars Trying to help you out here!
Published 5 months ago by Henry Goldkamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Super information, August 1, 2012
This review is from: Uncorked: The Novice's Guide to Wine (Paperback)
The first question is, are you just drinking wine or are you tasting what you are drinking? The first few chapters are focused on taste. Each variety tastes a little different as do whites and reds. How do you find out what you really like? It's all there. Then there is the label on the bottle. The first thing a purchaser looks at is the label, often with great confusion. It's there too.
Say you like a cabernet sauvignons. They are not all the same. Rieslings' aren't either. What causes these differences? The grape, oak, sulfites, sediments all have an impact. It's all there in the book. Then there is malolactic fermentation. There was a wine I really liked. I asked the lady at the serving counter, "What causes this wine to taste so different, so good? She said "malolactic fermentation." She didn't know any more. The next time I went wine tasting I again asked the server what malolactic fermentation is: different answer than the prior answer. The only place I found an in-depth meaning full answer was in this little book.
You go into a store, even a wine store, to buy some wine. A certain bottle of wine appeals to you then you see its stopper is plastic. Do you just quietly put it back in the rack? There are a couple of chapters on that as well.
There are also some chapters on tasting wines, whether at home, at a party, or at a winery. These include smelling, looking, tasting, spitting, and all about wine snobs. Invaluable! The last chapters are on aging and storing your wine, effects of heat, and other information of use to the more serious of us.
You probably got the feeling I highly recommend this book. I do, but it is easy to get into information that is beyond the well informed novice. Pass it by temporarily. Most of us will get there a lot faster than you think. UNCORKED will be there not only for us novices, but for our progress as wine lovers. Importantly, the book is small enough to read on the airplane as we make our way to a meeting followed by a social gathering with VIPs. Or to a family gathering, a club social, or an alumni party; just think, you could be seen as the wine expert!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun information for those getting into wine, March 30, 2013
Eddie Lovelace (Lynchburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter and I wanted to see what this "wine thing" is all about, and I have to say this book was very helpful. The format is very conversational, meaning that topics just show up like you're talking to someone rather than being laid out like a text book. It covers a lot of information in the beginning that I didn't understand as helpful until I actually started tasting.

I'd recommend this for anyone who wants to understand the "hobby" of wine drinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, very informative, November 20, 2012
I know a fair bit about wines but I still found this book informative and very well written. Clearly Paul has a passion for wines, which I very much share and appreciate. His enthusiasm comes across in the book nicely. The tone of the book is friendly and it's more like a friendly dialogue rather than a sermon.

The book covers a wide array of basics - from the different type of wines, to storage, tasting, drinking, marketing and distribution, vocabulary, behavior at a tasting or a restaurant when ordering wine - really a little bit for everyone regardless of your level of wine knowledge.

The book is a short, quick, informative, and fun read and I highly recommend it if you're looking to get some basic information or, like me, are just looking to further your knowledge of wines.

1.0 out of 5 stars Trying to help you out here!, July 3, 2014
This review is from: Uncorked: The Novice's Guide to Wine (Paperback)
Save yourself the money and the one hour it takes to read this book. I don't consider myself any sort of expert on wine, nor am I any type of lofty intellectual, but this book is written in the same manner I imagine children might learn about wine. The chapters average around 2 pages, in large font, and have no real direction or order to them. I learned nothing new or valuable, and I hardly know anything about wine. I've learned much, much more in the Wine for Dummies book I purchased immediately after: it actually goes into detail, with an exact index for easy reference, for only a few dollars more. Do NOT purchase this book, unless, perhaps, you are trying to train your toddler at a young age for the sommelier exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, September 18, 2013
I enjoyed this book. It was interesting to read and provided facts in a manner that was easy to digest...

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, November 29, 2012
Very entertaining.
ONLY for beginners. If you have any knowledge on wine at all the book can be a little repetitive.
All-in-all good little reminder.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNCORKED is informative and fun!, July 26, 2012
This review is from: Uncorked: The Novice's Guide to Wine (Paperback)
As a person who longed to understand wine, Paul Kreider's book, UNCORKED, has become a valuable asset in my arsenal of understanding, but more importantly, he has brought an appreciation I never had before. This is an easy and entertaining read for anyone who wants to know more about wine. Recommendo!

4.0 out of 5 stars Start here if you're new to wine, January 29, 2014
If you've ever been to a fancy pants restaurant, you've probably overheard someone describing wine as being "dry". And you probably wondered, "What the hell is that guy talking about?"

He's speaking wine. "Dry" is simply the opposite of sweet.

That's the kind of stuff you'll learn in Paul Kreider's "Uncorked: The Novice's Guide to Wine". It takes a lot to master the subject, but this book is a great starting point. Kreider happens to be a pro.

It addresses how wine is made and bottled; the differences between dry and sweet; what's the deal with corks; preparing your palette for tasting; and how to act around wine when you're in a restaurant. There are more than a dozen other chapters, too.

While it does, briefly, mention the differences between red and white wines, it doesn't go into detail. That's a vast topic done better by other books.

Until then, make sure to have "Uncorked" handy when you're dining out so you can show off your new wine etiquette at the table.

4.0 out of 5 stars informative and entertaining, June 21, 2014
this book was an easy read. it holds a lot of good information, its well written and a bit humorous. its also the first wine book i've read (granted that's only been a few so far) willing to say grocery store wine is mostly lousy. i'm 38 and thought i hated wine because i'd only had grocery store wine until a few months ago i wandered into a specialty wine shop and the owner convinced me to try it his way. he was right. now i'm really getting into it. i was glad to see a writer being honest about that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect intro book, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Uncorked: The Novice's Guide to Wine (Paperback)
The chapters were short but chock full of useful information. Kreider's style was friendly, easy to read and humorous at times. Answers a lot of common questions and then some for those who wants to dig deeper into the world of wine. My wife and I went to Napa Valley a few years ago, we plan to go back after educating ourselves more and "Uncorked...." is the perfect book to start off with. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about wine but doesn't necessarily have a lot of time to spare.

Uncorked: The Novice's Guide to Wine
Uncorked: The Novice's Guide to Wine by Paul Kreider (Paperback - February 21, 2011)
$14.95 $11.87