More About the Author
Susan VanHecke, www.SusanVanHecke.com, is an award-winning author of fiction and nonfiction for children and adults.
Susan's books for young people include:
* Esquivel! Space-Age Sound Artist (Charlesbridge, 2016), picture book biography of Mexican bandleader, arranger, and stereo sound pioneer Juan Garcia Esquivel.
* Under the Freedom Tree (Charlesbridge, 2014), a 2014 Junior Library Guild Selection about the contraband slaves of the Civil War. www.UndertheFreedomTree.com
* Raggin' Jazzin' Rockin': A History of American Musical Instrument Makers (Boyds Mills Press, 2011), a 2012 ALA Notable Children's Book. www.RagginJazzinRockin.com
* Rock 'n' Roll Soldier (HarperTeen, 2009), young adult war memoir written with Vietnam veteran Dean Ellis Kohler, foreword by Graham Nash. 2010 Cooperative Children's Book Center pick for Best Biography/Autobiography. www.RocknRollSoldierAMemoir.com
* An Apple Pie for Dinner (Two Lions, 2009), picture book retelling of an English folk tale, illustrated by Carol Baicker-McKee. www.AnApplePieforDinner.com
Susan's books for adults include:
* Roadwork: Rock and Roll Turned Inside Out (Hal Leonard, 2007)/Raising Hell on the Rock 'n' Roll Highway (Omnibus UK, 2009), memoir written with rock photographer Tom Wright, foreword by Pete Townshend of the Who. Of Roadwork, Barnes & Noble Booksellers CEO Steve Riggio said it's "probably the best book on rock & roll ever published."
* Three Steps to Heaven: The Eddie Cochran Story (Hal Leonard, 2003), bio of the rock trailblazer written with his nephew Bobby Cochran. www.ThreeStepstoHeaven.net
* Race with the Devil: Gene Vincent's Life in the Fast Lane (St. Martin's Press, 2000), bio of the rock 'n' roll pioneer, adapted into an award-winning screenplay.
Susan's writing has also appeared in numerous national/international publications, including Old House Journal, Spin, Creem, Goldmine, Kerrang, and Reflex magazines and the Washington Post. For fifteen years she was an arts and entertainment reporter for the Virginian Pilot, the major daily newspaper of southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina. Susan is a certified copyeditor and owner of the editorial services company Susan VanHecke Editorial Solutions, www.SusanVanHeckeEditorial.com.
Susan holds a BFA degree in film and television production from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts and has worked in the fields of publicity, promotion, and advertising. She is a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators and the Editorial Freelancers Association.