5.0 out of 5 stars The third of the Jacky Faber series, and the BEST one yet...
Published on July 15, 2005 by Mark Twain

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, a bit fantastic
Jacky Faber is back, this time, she is pressed onto the HMS Wolverine, under a cruel and lecherous captain. With her usual saavy nature, Jacky does not let this get her down, managing to elude the captain several other badguys to find herself in a leadership position most 15 year old girls would never dream of.

While I enjoyed "Under the Jolly Roger," I found...
Published on July 12, 2010 by Serene Night

5.0 out of 5 stars The third of the Jacky Faber series, and the BEST one yet..., July 15, 2005
This is the third book in Louis A. Meyer's "Bloody Jack" books -- and each one gets better than the last. I HIGHLY recommend reading these books in order -- starting with "Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary 'Jacky' Faber, Ship's Boy," and then on to "Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady."

Then you'll be ready for the best one yet -- the latest one called "Under the Jolly Roger : Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber." Like the other books by Meyer, this one is extremely well-written, VERY fast-paced and NEVER boring.

Make no mistake: Although high school girls love this series, and the main character is a teen-age girl (nicknamed "Bloody Jack" for one of her more violent adventures), this is not a series that's "just for girls." It features a heavy dose of nasty pirates, sword fights and violent warfare. Not your typical "girly" fare.

I won't spoil the plot -- you can learn more in the book's description above. Suffice it to say, it's an INCREDIBLE read. In fact, I've never finished a book as quickly as I did this one. "Under the Jolly Roger" isn't a short book, but I still wished it had gone on even longer. Fortunately, I get the feeling that Meyer has at least one more Bloody Jack book in him.

God bless 'im.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful!, August 7, 2005
Windi "book-a-holic" (Some where in the Mid-USA) - See all my reviews
This was a great installment of Bloody Jack Adventures. I'm sure there is going to be a 4 book or Mr. Meyer's readers (including myself) are going to be very upset. I can't wait until the next book comes out. Like the first two book in the series many adventures come to Jacky. I read it in just one day and wanted to continue to keep on reading when it ended. Once again Mr. Meyer brings together a wonderful book.

I say if you liked the first two you are going to love this book!

*side note* Do you notice that with every book they keep getting longer? I'm not complaining, in fact I love that. But I just thought I would throw that in. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best One Yet...So Far, July 14, 2005
Roger McDaniel (Tallahassee, Fl.) - See all my reviews
Wow! Meyer's has done it again bringing Jacky back to sea and back into our lives in this third book of the series. The Curse of the Blue Tattoo (2nd book) left readers wanting more, as does Under the Jolly Roger. Another action-packed book that has a very interesting plot and that is very easy to follow for any age level. I particularly believe that this book would be perfect for any middle school or high school student that is looking to add some excitement in their life.

I can't wait until the 4th book comes out and either will you after you read this one! Buy a copy today- You'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best-narrated series I have ever heard, and fun to boot!, May 22, 2011
I listen to audiobooks in ridiculous numbers, and I have come to regard one series as standing head and shoulders above other series and other books, and it is the Bloody Jack series narrated by Katherine Kellgren.

The series is amazing, historical, and deeply engaging - read the hundreds of reviews for each book on the Amazon listings for the hardcopy books to get more information - but please be aware that there is quite a bit of mature content that may make it unsuitable for children (what I can think of, as a non-parent: lots of almost-sexuality, cursing, many attempted rapes, homosexuality, cruelty, warfare carnage, murder, scalping, lots of prostitutes, what I would consider infidelity). Too bad because kids would love the series, and really benefit from the informal history lessons. Maybe teens are a good audience? Maybe? That said, still an excellently written series with an absolutely engaging heroine and cast of characters.

On top of the writing, the thing that makes these audiobooks so amazing is the narration by Katherine Kellgren. She just blows me away with her talent. I looked her name up to mention her in a review for a hardcopy book, and then thought I should come and give her full props here in the proper listing for the audiobook. Ms. Kellgren keeps up hundreds of distinct voices - recognizable and distinguishable from each other without any trouble - which is made even more incredible because there are so many different accents from different countries. The really impressive one she did was the French accent done with an American accent (as in Jacky was pretending to be an American speaking French). Well done Ms. Kellgren!

The sound quality is really great too. There is *nothing* in the background, it's like she recorded it in her own little cone of silence (um... probably called a sound studio, lol). I only mention this b/c it shows professionalism where sometimes other recordings do not -- I just listened to an audiobook series (Anne of Green Gables) that should have been done professionally, but there were all kinds of odd background noises, and re-takes of select sections were spliced in so badly, with totally different tones and backgrounds. It was very distracting. That is not even remotely an issue with this audiobook series, whoever made it was obviously very professional. (maybe you guys can remake Anne of Green Gables??)

I highly recommend this series to adults, and tentatively recommend it to teens and kids. Happy listening!

p.s. I am in no way affiliated with Ms Kellgren or the producing company, despite my gushing. I just think that a job well done should be recognized.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swashbuckling splendor, August 10, 2005
Have read all three "Bloody Jack" adventures. Each time I've read, I've thought the latest was best. Still do. Now eager for the next installment. Mostly I read histories and biographies, with a dollop of classic fiction, but Lou Meyer has me hooked on this escapist tale with its fine scene-setting and well-crafted storytelling. A really first-rate book.

Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrrggg!!! Look out maties, Under the Jolly Roger is a real swashbuckler!, July 29, 2005
This book has definitly lived up to my standards, and I am picky when it comes to books! This book is filled with non-stop action from page 1, a real page turner! I had to force myself to put it down, as I have been waiting for the realise of this book ever since The Curse of the Blue Tattoo came out! L.A. Meyer sure knows what he's doing, and I hope you enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Under the Jolly Roger, April 24, 2006
CoolTigersRule (Versailles, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This is the third book in a series. Mary "Jacky" Faber is a lady sailor who has escaped from a School for Young Girls in Boston. This was where the Dolphin had put her after finding out she was a girl. She gets a job on a whaling boat to be a tutor because she wants to go to London. When she arrives in London she goes to see her Fianc? James "Jaimy" Fletcher. She dresses as a boy and goes to see him. When she does she sees him with another girl. All of the sudden she is caught by a press gang. She was sent to the ship Wolverine where the captain tries to have his "way" with her, but he dies when his heart or brain explodes. She takes command and teaches the men to fight. She goes off and gets her own ship named the Emerald. She asks Laim "father" to be the captain of the ship. Then all of the sudden she has a bounty on her head. She is wanted dead or alive. Will she be able to survive?

I really liked this book. The only thing that I did not like about it was that it ended. I also have one thing to say about it. That would be that the author better write another book to finish what he started.

I would recommend this book to both boys and girls. The only thing is that if you don't like fighting I would not recommend it to you. This is a book that was written well and I hope that you will read and like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Meyer has done it again!, August 30, 2005
If I could give this book 10 stars I would. The entire series deserves a million stars. I am an avid reader of young adult novel averaging 2.7 novels per week and I have finally found the top notch novel that no one has previously dared to write. Thank you Louis A. Meyer and keep them coming or we fans will have every right to mutiny! (Let's not be forced to start rollin' the cannonballs, mates!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Under the Jolly Roger, November 20, 2010
Judith (ROSEVILLE, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
I love the whole Bloody Jack Series. I have read the books on my Kindle and listened to them on my iPod. I just finished listening to this book for the 3rd time. Because of my enjoyment of the book series I am sending the compact disks to my nieces and nephews for their pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior Reading for Seniors, Too!, January 20, 2008
This review is from: Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack Adventures) (Paperback)
Under the Jolly Roger was the third in the series of the adventures of Jacky Faber, authored by L.A.Meyer. I'm looking forward to reading the remaining books in Mr. Meyer's series. Although these books are recommended for young adults, as a "senior citizen", I have been pleasantly pleased with the three books I have read in this series. I enjoy historical fiction, and learned much about sailing in Europe in the early 1800's. The author certainly imparts a good sense of humor in his main character, Jacky Faber. As long as Mr.Meyer continues writing new novels in this series, I will definitely continue reading these delightful adventures of Jacky Faber.

Rate and Discover Movies