4.0 out of 5 stars Not As Strong as Mixtapes, but Still Catchy
Published 9 months ago by Madeline

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly Disappointing
Published 5 months ago by Jenn

4.0 out of 5 stars Not As Strong as Mixtapes, but Still Catchy, December 18, 2013
This review is from: Underground Luxury (Explicit) (Audio CD)
I must admit to not actually loving Bobby's past two studio albums, and yet I've happily bought both of them as well as this one without even listening to a single track. Sound pretty dumb come to think of it--but it's my way of supporting/saying thank you for his numerous mixtapes which he releases for free and are just as high production quality as his studio albums with the added benefit of stronger music as well. And to be honest, I feel about the same about this album as the past two studio ventures--decent yet not that exciting and certainly not as powerful as some of his mixtapes.

I really do hate to be that person who goes on about the mixtapes and disses the studio albums, and yet I've always felt the more experimental and real side of Bobby is lacking on his studio efforts. That's not to say this album is bad though. Bobby writes catchy rap music that relies on his wide range of experience with rock and pop to create very current and unique music. He can rap, sing, write, play multiple instruments and is simply much more a musician and artist than almost all other mainstream rappers.

Bobby has always been able to pick collaborators that compliment him well, and this album is no exception. The always welcome Ester Dean appears on "Wide Open", but it's the addition of another favorite of mine, Priscilla Renea, on "John Doe" that is really standout. Priscilla is a great match up for Bobby as she also is another very talented musician who dabbles in hip hop and R&B from time to time, yet can sing over anything from rock to adult contemporary pop. "Cranberry Moonwalk" with Mike Fresh is also another great collaboration.

"One Day" has a short interview clip at the end regarding Bobby's childhood, and his positive attitude on his rough upbringing is really admirable. My favorite song though is probably still "We in This..." which he actually released on an old 2012 mixtape so it's not exactly new for me. That song though should indicate the general direction of many of the songs here though. This album is much more "gangsta rap" heavy than his previous ones.

Still, I'm glad I can support Bobby and several songs (mainly his collaborations) will definitely make it into my "work commute" playlist. I would check out the singles to see what appeals. For fans of Chiddy Bang, Tinie Tempah, Labrinth and Wale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't even think twice about this album, January 9, 2014
This review is from: Underground Luxury (Explicit) (Audio CD)
B.O.B is a monster for everything he does. Don't ever under estimate bobby ray! Underground Luxury will easily be the best album of the year!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, January 3, 2014
Don't sleep on B.o.B. He's amazing. his songs are genius. Im far from disappointed with this album. " paper route" is the best song on this album

5.0 out of 5 stars a different change of flow from b.o.b.!, December 25, 2013
i must say this is way different from what i expected from b.o.b. he went HAM!!! on this whole album. people think that b.o.b is a pop artist and i believe thats why he made a hardcore album as this to show every hater that he's not a softcore artist. i'm noticing alot of reviewers not liking the album to well i feel they misunderstood the approach. i like the album alot it shows a more aggressive approach from him. it has a couple of tracks that take you back down memory lane to his rapping style of his first album. i'd definitely recommend this to any first time listener of b.o.b give the album a chance! it's pretty dope!!

5.0 out of 5 stars yes, January 11, 2014
This review is from: Underground Luxury (Explicit) (Audio CD)
According to me grandson I'm the Best. Yes he loves the CD of B.o.B. So he gives it Five Gold Stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars different flavor, January 4, 2014
It is a good album well put together. And its something different. Lyrically its a message in a bottle. Cool album

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly Disappointing, April 25, 2014
Jenn (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Underground Luxury (Explicit) (Audio CD)
Being a fan of his last two albums, I purchased this album without previewing and was very let down. Granted there are a couple of really good songs on this album, but the majority of the album is something that I never care to hear again. The lyrics are all about money, sex, and drugs; there is no depth in the majority of the songs and even the musicality fell a little flat compared to what I have come to expect from this artist. I was even so offended by some of the songs that I turned them off halfway through.

Considering my respect for his previous two albums, I kept trying to look for deeper meaning in the music, but it was just too disjointed for me to be able to come up with anything. This purchase has scared me enough that in the future I will research anything he releases prior to obtaining it. I feel a little ripped off. I would advise doing some research prior to purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best CD of all time!, January 2, 2014
This review is from: Underground Luxury (Explicit) (Audio CD)
Under the radar: great meanings, catchy hooks, decent lyrics and bumpin' beats. Little too much sex talk and I wish the better songs were longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, December 30, 2013
This review is from: Underground Luxury (Explicit) (Audio CD)
This was the first time we had purchased an album from Amazon. I really liked that we were able to download the album while waiting for the CD to arrive. Very pleased!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, December 28, 2013
Terrific Album and a must have for hip hop fans everywhere. Bobby Ray does what he does best and there are no weak songs present.

Underground Luxury (Explicit)
Underground Luxury (Explicit) by B.o.B (Audio CD - 2013)