4.0 out of 5 stars Quilt tells memorable story
I agree with the other reviews that this book is NOT for beginners and the blocks can be done using easier methods. I have been quilting for 3 years and had to adjust some of the techniques back to basics found in other quilt books. But, sometimes it's good to try different techniques.
However, I did buy this book as I have an avid interest in the Civil War,...
Published on July 17, 2004 by pdenney

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Quilt ~ Directions are AWFUL!
First off ~ I must say the quilt will be lovely when put together, I have added the sashing and I made flying geese for the border of this quilt...next comes the hand quilting. And the story of each block is nice too.

Published on May 31, 2006 by M. Whitaker

4.0 out of 5 stars Quilt tells memorable story, July 17, 2004
pdenney (Matawan, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Underground Railroad Sampler (Paperback)
However, I did buy this book as I have an avid interest in the Civil War, particularly the railroad. Such braves souls operated this escape to freedom. In honor of that, I wanted to do a quilt for my King size bed. I used the largest size blocks in the book and did 16 blocks. When I added borders, it fit my bed. I have shown it at a local Heritage Festival and the story of each block was admired by many. Having the story block as the final block reminds me and others of the arduous journey taken on the UGRR.

4.0 out of 5 stars READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST., October 24, 2005
This review is from: Underground Railroad Sampler (Paperback)
I have been quilting for about 3 years. Like many of the other people who wrote a review, I found it difficult to follow some of the instructions. To get it right, I had to take my time and make sure the cutting and sewing was exact. It is a great challenge and it has made me a more precise sewer. You don't need to be an expert quilter but having some quilting knowledge would help. Even with some parts being difficult the end results are worth while.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Quilt ~ Directions are AWFUL!, May 31, 2006
This review is from: Underground Railroad Sampler (Paperback)

But PLEASE do not follow her directions, they are awful. After many attempts at her directions, I ended up following the old standby directions for the blocks. It's quite easy if you look at the size the pieces of the block should be before sewing them together. For some reason she uses more steps then needed to make a block. Do not buy her Flying Geese template...waste of money. There are a lot of errors in the measurements, especially in the Bear Paw block..if you follow her directions you'll end up 1/2" too big (claw part). I had to square them down to size after the second attempt.

A nice quilt...bad directions...not a Quilt in a Day, but worth the try.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not easy but historically interesting, March 22, 2005
Mom of 5 boys "Mom of 5 boys" (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Underground Railroad Sampler (Paperback)
I have made several Quilt in a Day quilts, but this one is a difficult piece of work. I am finding the directions a bit ambiguous and I have to look ahead to keep my blocks and pieces the right size. I think a very experienced quilter could enjoy this project, but it is definitely not for a beginner. And if you go the QIAD website you find video companions to this book. Unfortunately, the video companion gives no help in the step by step construction.

But, I am working my way to a nice quilt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, February 6, 2004
Paula (Rice Lake, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Underground Railroad Sampler (Paperback)
I read this book first, and then made the quilt. I loved it and had no problems following the directions and working through all the blocks and then doing the more intense sashing.
I had no help or took any classes to complete my quilt. I plan on making a second one now.
I had been collecting Civil War repo fabric for several years and this book was very inspiring to me. Great book, great author and very inspiring!

5.0 out of 5 stars Underground Sampler ... March 22, 2004, March 22, 2004
Christine (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Underground Railroad Sampler (Paperback)
Many people refute the story of the "quilt codes", however, I prefer to believe in the legend. I am in the process of collecting the material to make the 34" x 34" wall hanging, which I will proudly display in my home. As always I find Eleanor Burns' projects absorbing and rewarding. To quibble about whether or not the quilts/samplers can be completed in a day in very petty. The joy of creating a work of Art is what is important.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Undergound Railroad Sampler-Eleanor Burns, October 22, 2005
This review is from: Underground Railroad Sampler (Paperback)
This book has many features that are not in other quilt books. Tthis book shows you short cuts to the flying geese, & it show many good time saving techniques to shorten your time behind the sewing machine, and it's one of Eleanor Burns best books ever. Everything is so user-friendly and a great book to use for a quilt/sewing class. Everyone should have this book for the easy to follow time saving techniques.

the company had the books to me within a week...great shipping!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Underground Railroad Sampler, August 14, 2003
This review is from: Underground Railroad Sampler (Paperback)
I have been quilting for 4 yrs. and have some quilting knowledge. This book was far more complicated with the construction of every block that it had to be. Some blocks I could use other patterns for same block, but when I had to use this author's directions it was horrible. Very time consuming and took all pleasure out of making the block. I was determined to make this quilt for a friend and did finish it but I would love to have a ceremonial burning of this Burns book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Complicated for a Beginner, April 22, 2004
This review is from: Underground Railroad Sampler (Paperback)
I am fairly new to quilting and the blocks in this book that say 'for a beginner' are NOT easy, as far as I am concerned. I was very confused and irritated at the methods used by the authors and would love to find a book where you REALLY can make a quilt in a day.
I loved the pictures in the book, but not the directions. I found them to be too difficult for a beginner and it should not say that a block is for a beginner when obviously it is not at all for a beginning quilter.
Over all, I was disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence!!, May 12, 2005
This review is from: Underground Railroad Sampler (Paperback)
I have been quilting for almost one year and have had three quilting classes so far. I was a little afraid to buy this book because I thought the patterns would be too difficult for me to accomplish. I am so happy that I did purchase the book. I am so excited. I find the book to be well written and the patterns easy to follow. I am going to purchase another copy to keep on the bookcase because I know I will wear this one out. I want to make all of the various blocks in different combinations.

Underground Railroad Sampler
Underground Railroad Sampler by Eleanor Burns (Paperback - April 1, 2003)
Used & New from: $14.97